Help Please! New wifi plan and internet texting

suzycruiser2

I will be on the Fascination next week and have seen that the new wifi plan is in place. I am planning on getting the basic internet package. I know that I can contact my family with Facebook and messenger, but does anyone know of a wifi/text option? (I will still be paranoid about using my phone and being surprised by charges, so will just be using my tablet.) We have a friend that will be checking on our house and he doesn't Facebook, so want to find a way to check in with him via text messages.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I was on the Freedom in March and purchased the Premium plan, needed it to access work computers. I have Verizon for phone plan and if you use their Message+ app you can text over wifi, the text just count against your regular plan. I am not sure of any of companies that allow texting over wifi without a third party app.

In the past before I had Verizon I used a third party app called Text Plus (+). Gives you free text messages and a very few mins of talk time. The only downside is the app assigns you a generic phone number. It does access your Contact list so sending is easy. Just have to let the recipient know who is sending the message as they will not recognize the number.

Mike

Edited by mkbnoc

Sorry can't help you Over 40 cruises and have never bought a over priced internet package....

So why in the world would you post this? Smh.

Back to the topic - Do all ships offer the various internet packages now? Can't seem to find a list of which ships do.

I will be on the Fascination next week and have seen that the new wifi plan is in place. I am planning on getting the basic internet package. I know that I can contact my family with Facebook and messenger, but does anyone know of a wifi/text option? (I will still be paranoid about using my phone and being surprised by charges, so will just be using my tablet.) We have a friend that will be checking on our house and he doesn't Facebook, so want to find a way to check in with him via text messages.

Thanks in advance!

I kept in contact with friends using the What'sApp texting app. I had my friends that didn't already have the app download it and we were able to keep in touch that way. It worked great on ship and no extra charges. :)

I also second WhatsApp. It works with your phone number and accesses your friends via your contact list. My best friend lives in Canada, and being from the states, international texting can get expensive, so we've communicated through WhatsApp for about 3 or 4 years now. It's a great app!

Hi,

I was on the Freedom in March and purchased the Premium plan, needed it to access work computers. I have Verizon for phone plan and if you use their Message+ app you can text over wifi, the text just count against your regular plan. I am not sure of any of companies that allow texting over wifi without a third party app.

In the past before I had Verizon I used a third party app called Text Plus (+). Gives you free text messages and a very few mins of talk time. The only downside is the app assigns you a generic phone number. It does access your Contact list so sending is easy. Just have to let the recipient know who is sending the message as they will not recognize the number.

Mike

Mike.

I will be on the Sunshine which has the new plan. So are you saying if I get the $60 package I can use my textplus app on my iphone to send and receive texts via wifi during sea days? I understand the cheap plan $25 is just for Facebook and could use messenger but I have to keep in touch with people who don't have Facebook. Would you mind explaining what kind of surfing you can do on the $60 plan - can you google - got to your normal websites like news etc. Is it faster if you get the premium plan? Thanks!

Mike.

I will be on the Sunshine which has the new plan. So are you saying if I get the $60 package I can use my textplus app on my iphone to send and receive texts via wifi during sea days? I understand the cheap plan $25 is just for Facebook and could use messenger but I have to keep in touch with people who don't have Facebook. Would you mind explaining what kind of surfing you can do on the $60 plan - can you google - got to your normal websites like news etc. Is it faster if you get the premium plan? Thanks!

Hi,

The only difference between the top 2 plans is the speed so both should provide access to all websites and allow apps to work. Just one person in the cabin needs to sign up, then you can access the wifi from any device. You can alternate between phones or tablet by just logging on/off, but only one device can be logged on at a time.

The TextPlus app will access your Contact list and allow you to text message direct to their phone number. So they do not need the app. The app does use a different phone number than yours so you will need to let the other person know who you are. The app is free but will have some pop up ads occasionally, small price to pay if you need to stay in touch with someone. I delete the app when was not getting ready for a cruise to stop the ads. I would recommend downloading the app before you leave so you can create the log in and get it all set up. Even send some test messages. If it doesn't work like you want you have time to research other options.

Since the new wifi plans are unlimited access you can leave your phone logged on and will have access to text messages through the app. Anyone wanted to reach you would need to text you at the phone number the app provides you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike

Edited by mkbnoc

This is so freaking confusing! I hate electronics. I ALWAYS bring my Iphone and text everyone my first drink before leaving port. I then lock it in the safe for the rest of the cruise. I have no desire to text,facebook,instagram or anything else while crusing and enjoying life. WELL, this time my daughter is due with grandchild #2 the day we leave:( (we booked the cruise well before she told us her due date). So, I need to go to AT&T and get some kind of international plan. Sigh!