Reasonable Intinerary for Cruise Stop?

jlbartley

I will be on a cruise stopping in San Juan from 7:45am-4:45pm. I've done some research and am considering renting a car, maybe from Condado Enterprise or Charlie's.

I'm thinking that we would like to visit El Yunque and possibly Luquillo. Would also love to have at least a small bit of time to walk through Old San Juan. Is it possible to fit all of this in?

How long does it really take to get a shuttle from one of the car vendors, pick up the car and then get to El Yunque? What key things would you recommend we see here?

What time would you recommend we head back from Luquillo to the car rental place to ensure we have enough time to return the car and shuttle back to San Juan to get back to the ship on time?

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions but appreciate any advice you can give!

it depends what day of the week you will be in San Juan. Traffic is horrendous during the workweek b/c of rush hour. El Yunque is big, I think you might not have enough time or might be cutting close to returning the rental and getting back on the ship on time.

We will be there on a Wednesday. I know that there are typically guides that will take you to El Yunque in less time than this but I wasn't sure if anyone who had rented a car before could give me an idea of how much time it takes to actually pick up the car and then travel to El Yunque. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I will be on a cruise stopping in San Juan from 7:45am-4:45pm. I've done some research and am considering renting a car, maybe from Condado Enterprise or Charlie's.

I'm thinking that we would like to visit El Yunque and possibly Luquillo. Would also love to have at least a small bit of time to walk through Old San Juan. Is it possible to fit all of this in?

It's possible but you'll have to be careful.

Checkin at car rental depends on how busy they are. Allow 1/2 hour going out, probably less returning. Allow an hour each way to get up into Yunque. So there's the better part of three hours already. However there's still time.

If you want to do both Yunque and Luquillo, I would recommend hitting Yokahu tower and La Coca falls in Yunque. These are closer to the entrance and involve virtually no walking. These would only give you the buffet experience rather than a full meal; but it's a unique environment and doesn't cost you anything but gas money.

From the entrance to Yunque Luquillo is only 10 minutes. You can get something to eat at the "Kioskos" and enjoy the beach. Parking costs a few bucks.

I would want to start back by about 1 PM to allow for traffic, getting gas, (wrong turns?) and general mayhem. This does not allow for a huge amount of time in the area but it's easier on the blood pressure to allow for a cushion. If there's any extra time Old San Juan is quite scenic.

Although your itinerary is a bit rushed I suspect that it will serve to whet your appetite. I started with a 1/2 day bus tour to El Yunque. This inspired me to spend more time in the area by staying in Puerto Rico before/after cruising out of San Juan.

We have been here many times. I would skip Luquillo - there are much nicer beaches on your itinerary and you can also try local food at other stops.

We rent a car and drive to El Yunque. Hike to the big waterfall for a swim - truly a unique experience. You will have plenty of time. Even if you don't have time to walk around Old San Juan, you can hop on the free trolley for a loop around the town.

Thank you for the suggestions. You mention other beaches better than Luquillo. Could you recommend other options that you like better. It's hard to try to pick just one that we should stop at.

I still haven't fully made up my mind between getting a car or taking a more private tour so I appreciate the feedback you've given on the times to expect. It is very helpful!

If you do a tour with a guide, you will save the time needed to pick up and return your rental car. That would give you more free time. I know when we returned our rental car in January it took close to an hour as there were others in front of us.

Considering a cruise that stops here is this a port friendly area can walk off ship and stay close by to shop / dine etc? Or must we do an excursion to get out and about? Totally new to this port so would love some feed back.

Considering a cruise that stops here is this a port friendly area can walk off ship and stay close by to shop / dine etc? Or must we do an excursion to get out and about? Totally new to this port so would love some feed back.

It's about the most port-friendly stop there is. Everything you could want is yards from the gangplank.