Three Queens Southampton, 3rd May

Ray66

That was really special. We all got given Union Jacks to wave on the QV. It's a shame that Cunard put in the programme that it was the first time the three Queens had sailed together from Southampton in daylight when in fact it was the second time.

Something really strange happened. After we'd had all our luggage delivered to our room, our steward then delivered two more suitcases with our cabin number on but which wasn't ours! They had printed labels on with our cabin number, the correct voyage number and the Cunard logo.

Our steward found it hard to believe it wasn't ours and said he'd ask at the pursers desk. After a while the luggage disappeared. The next time we saw it and numerous other cases together was near the ship exit. They all appeared to have the same travel agent name which we think was something like Posh Cruisin. So we're thinking this could have been some kind of scam maybe. Set up by non existent travel agent who has taken peoples money but they got no cruise. There must be a lot of disappointed people out there. I'd be interested to know if anyone else heard anything.

That would be awful. Just imagine arriving for a cruise as being told to go home. I wonder if those problem caused the late departure. A bit worrying that cases were able to get on board without (possibly) a passenger. In this day and age is say that's a potential security risk. I feel so awful for those passengers.

That would be awful. Just imagine arriving for a cruise as being told to go home. I wonder if those problem caused the late departure. A bit worrying that cases were able to get on board without (possibly) a passenger. In this day and age is say that's a potential security risk. I feel so awful for those passengers.

I gather the late departure was due to letting Anthem of the Seas out first.

Strange about the suitcases I agree.

We've just got back to our stateroom, having been ashore all morning, and have found that we've been given a complimentary 175 anniversary pin each and, best of all, a complimentary hard backed book entitled "The triumph of a great tradition, The Story of Cunard's 175 Years" by Eric Flounders and Michael Gallagher with foreword by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. Having just taken a quick look at the book it is superb - THANK YOU Cunard for such a lovely gift.

I understand that the tandem formation didn't take place yesterday? We reached a point where we had to get ready for dinner and so had to stop waiting for it to happen as we were told it would. We were told, from the bridge, that the reason for the late departure was that the Balmoral was turning round in the space that we needed to use, just as we were about to leave.

I don't know if this is the formation Cunard had planned, but photos of the sailaway can be found here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/11581510/Queen-Mary-2-leads-Cunards-175th-anniversary-sailaway-in-pictures.html

Edited to add: After reading this BBC report from last January, it appears that it was not the hoped-for formation:

"Cunard's three cruise liners will sail in a "carefully choreographed" display for the 175th anniversary celebrations of the company founded in Liverpool.

Liverpool City Council said the Queen Mary 2, the Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Victoria will meet on the River Mersey for the first time in May.

A spokesman said they would then form an arrowhead but warned the display is dependent on the weather and the tides.

Cunard made its first transatlantic sailing from Liverpool in 1840..." Copied from

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-30678659

Edited by Salacia

I don't know if this is the formation Cunard had planned, but photos of the sailaway can be found here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/11581510/Queen-Mary-2-leads-Cunards-175th-anniversary-sailaway-in-pictures.html

No, it was intended to sail side by side when the conditions allowed, of course with three ships it is impossible to go tandem but I don't think there is a word for that. Maybe triptych or tricycle might work.

No, it was intended to sail side by side when the conditions allowed, of course with three ships it is impossible to go tandem but I don't think there is a word for that. Maybe triptych or tricycle might work.

I like your idea of calling it a tricycle formation...sounds so much more friendly (and more fun) than arrow formation :)

Edited to add: After reading this BBC report from last January, it appears that it was not the hoped-for formation:

"Cunard's three cruise liners will sail in a "carefully choreographed" display for the 175th anniversary celebrations of the company founded in Liverpool.

Liverpool City Council said the Queen Mary 2, the Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Victoria will meet on the River Mersey for the first time in May.

A spokesman said they would then form an arrowhead but warned the display is dependent on the weather and the tides.

Cunard made its first transatlantic sailing from Liverpool in 1840..." Copied from

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-30678659

I think those comments are about the 3 Queens in Liverpool in 3 weeks time.