Anthem Maiden Voyage Review

I read so many reviews on the Quantum and found them helpful that I decided to pay it forward. I will try to be as objective as possible but what appeals to one may not appeal to another and vice versa. I will summarize instead of a day by day description. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to answer.

Embarkation: We had an 11:15 scheduled time. We didn’t know how long it would take us to get to the ship and left the hotel at 10. It was only a 5 minute drive. We felt it was very smooth. They took our luggage and we walked to a person with an I-Pad and checked in. The red carpet was there but festivities had not started. We sat in a holding area for a short time and were on the beautiful ship before 11 and greeted with a glass of champagne.

Cabin: Spa Junior Suite on Deck 11 or “leven”. Mid-ship near elevators. Great location. Quiet. Spacious with good storage. One bathroom with sink, shower and tub. 2nd bathroom with sink and toilet. Balcony with 2 reclining chairs with footstools.

Dining: I booked everything in advance and usually picked a 6 to 6:30 seating. Chose table for 2. Check in was easy and we never had to wait for a table. Since we were early, we always got to sit by a window. Menus consisted of regular items, signature items, and classic items. Menu changes every 4 days. We felt that there were lots of choices.

Dinner breakdown:

Grande: Ate there the first night and dress code was more relaxed because not all luggage was received. Most were dressy casual with some formal attire. I didn’t check every night but there were people in dressy and formal attire every night. I had escargot and lobster tail and my husband had prawns and beef tenderloin. Very good and beautiful venue.

Coastal Kitchen: Booked in advance but it appears that it is open for dinner for anyone in Junior Suite and above. Breakfast and Lunch is only open to Grand Suite and above. Food was excellent. We ate there twice. Service was very good. We tried the rack of lamb, fig flat bread, arugula salad and salted caramel pudding. So very, very good.

Devinly Decadence: Complimentary. Probably our least favorite. We knew that it was healthy alternatives, and we have similar place on land that we have eaten at before, but the quality and service was lacking. You ordered your entrée but salads, soups, appetizers and desserts were on a buffet. The arugula and watermelon salad and Moroccan tomato soup was good but the filet mignon was very tough. The flourless chocolate cake was good.

Silk: Very good. Pork ribs and Sea Bass and Duck.

Chic: Beautiful venue and we felt gave us the very best service. The crab cake and scampi. flourless chocolate cake was excellent.

American Icon: Food was very good but service was poor. Baked artichoke, beef short ribs and apple pie.

Jamie’s: When I booked it, it was $25 a person. It then went up to $30 a person. They changed it 2 days before boarding to a la carte. They did honor our reservation. The food was good but not great. It may be that it wasn’t typical Italian food. Probably just our expectation and others may find it very good. We loved Giovanni’s on other ships and probably expected it to be more like that. It was our least favorite along with Devinly Decadence. We did have the meat plank (now $10) and bean bruschetta. My husband had the lasagna and I had the shells puttanesca. I don’t remember what the price would be. Most entrees were in the $16 to $20 range. The side arugula salad didn’t have any dressing and was $4. The waitress was excellent. Very attentive. They try to sell you Jamie Oliver’s cookbook. Venue was not as pretty as others. We sat in a booth and were comfortable but other chairs were metal and may not be as comfortable.

Breakfast:

Most of the time we went to Café 270. I had bagel and smoked salmon and sometimes muffin and pastries. My husband had the fruit cups. It wasn’t crowded and then we got to sit in the awesome 270 venue looking out on the ocean. We did have an omelet in the Windjammer and breakfast at Devinly Decadence one morning. All Good.

Lunch:

Did not have a lot of lunches but went to the Windjammer to nibble a little a few times. The soups were good (chicken noodle was really good) and so was the panini. My husband made himself salads and he said they were very good. The warm cookies were the best. We did have one hot dog. I loved them on Allure but they didn’t have the Italian variety on Anthem. Still good. We did eat at Izumi for lunch one day. It was good. Wings in Michael’s pub

Entertainment: I booked the two main shows in advance.

We Will Rock You was great. Fantastic singing and had people on their feet.

Spectra’s Cabaret in 270. Very good show with acrobats and dancing and singing and people coming out on the floor with good use of Robo screens and screens on windows. No real story line.

Headliners. Good mix. Micky Zany comedy. Jonathan Kane (Elton John). Neal Austin magic comedy. Gary Lovini. Did not attend Jayne Curry singing or Motown group Soul Satisfaction.

Bars:

Our favorite was the bar in 270 (Ice Bar). Joseph and Susie are fantastic.

Vintages is a very nice venue with good wine.

We didn’t try the outdoor bars because it was too cold for us.

Miscellaneous:

They did add 2 Royal nights where the cruise staff was formally dressed as were passengers.

Photos were taken all over the ship every night including the restaurants.

Staff was courteous and friendly.

It appears that Royal Caribbean is listening.

Royal IQ app did not track luggage but did have all my dinner, show and excursion reservations. I didn’t really use it because I didn’t carry around my phone or tablet. Used the WOW bands and worked great.

Internet was good. Bought an unlimited one device package. It’s $105 and there are discounts for various Crown and Anchor Levels.

Met wonderful people from all over the world.

Loved the ship.

Other items:

Used Smiths for Airports for transportation from Heathrow to London hotel, London Hotel to Southampton, and ship to Heathrow. They were prompt, professional and reasonably priced. I did it all via email before I left home.

London was beautiful. Spent 2 days before sailing.

Booked Harmony for September 2016. Hope to see you there.

Thank you so much for writing a review. I have been waiting in anticipation to read a full review and yours has not disappointed. I was feeling a bit skeptical after reading all the negatives on Quantum but now I am really looking forward to our cruise in September. Hope you enjoy your cruise on Harmony, we hope to be sailing on her either the end of 2016 or beginning of 2017.

I'm on Anthem now. Quite similar review (separate thread).

Compared to my Quantum Maiden Voyage experience Anthem and Crew is in a much better condition already by now.

Great experience.

Thank You very much for your balanced and well-written Anthem review Always and Forever.

We can't wait to cruise aboard Anthem next February. Also great fans of Smiths for Airports and found them to be very reliable and professional on our round trip journey from to London to Southampton.

I have been reading a lot about these new Royal Nights. Is this strictly a formal night or did it also include these new taster menus featuring an assortment of entrees from the various complementary restaurants on board?

Jonathan

The Royal nights were a complete surprise. They were not specified prior to boarding. The restaurants offered the same fabulous menus. Passengers were dressed much the same as any night - casual, dressy, formal. Maybe because most were unaware. The cruise directors staff and officers were formal. The first Royal night gave you the opportunity to take photos with the Captain. The second was a Maiden voyage celebration with a balloon drop, champagne and a huge cake. I don't know what they will do going forward. Since some passengers wanted formal nights, this may give them the opportunity to have more dressed formally on those designated nights. I did see more formal and dressy attire on those nights. It was very festive.

Hallasam. We met another couple who had been on Quantum's maiden and now Anthem's. They too said it was a very different experience. Although things were not perfect, we loved every minute and wish we were back onboard. Things will only continue to improve.:)

The Royal nights were a complete surprise. They were not specified prior to boarding. The restaurants offered the same fabulous menus. Passengers were dressed much the same as any night - casual, dressy, formal. Maybe because most were unaware. The cruise directors staff and officers were formal. The first Royal night gave you the opportunity to take photos with the Captain. The second was a Maiden voyage celebration with a balloon drop, champagne and a huge cake. I don't know what they will do going forward. Since some passengers wanted formal nights, this may give them the opportunity to have more dressed formally on those designated nights. I did see more formal and dressy attire on those nights. It was very festive.

Thank You AlwaysAndForever for the information about the Royal Nights. I have read some mixed reviews about them. I think it's great that Royal Caribbean is trying introduce some new formal nights it's certainly a good revenue maker for them.

Some have complained about the watered down menu on the Royal Nights but, on any other ship on formal night there are always the classic menu offerings like Filet Mignon, Lobster and Baked Alaska.

Jonathan

Thank You AlwaysAndForever for the information about the Royal Nights. I have read some mixed reviews about them. I think it's great that Royal Caribbean is trying introduce some new formal nights it's certainly a good revenue maker for them.

Some have complained about the watered down menu on the Royal Nights but, on any other ship on formal night there are always the classic menu offerings like Filet Mignon, Lobster and Baked Alaska.

Jonathan

It's very interesting that formal attire is returning, all be it in a limited format, after the fuss that some passengers made on CC about no one wanting to dress up in anything other than shorts for dinner. ;)

MARAPRINCE

• 3 weeks later...