Azura - after the refit!

Suebiker

Well I'm guessing it's up to date as last night the web cam showed Azura with all her lights on in the dark, just looked now expecting her to be gone - and it's light but she's still there :eek:

Just found this statement from P&O on their FB page - they are going to miss a port :(

Due to a technical issue with the electrics which required an overnight call in Flam, Azura's call to Stavanger today has unfortunately been cancelled. The ship will spend today scenic cruising and tomorrow at sea and return to Southampton as scheduled on Friday morning. Guests have been offered £100 per person on board credit as a gesture of goodwill.

Have been following her problems here on CC as, like Mysticalmother, we join her Friday. Safety first of course, and glad schedule is being kept.. Although I am sure there is disappointment for those missing a port.

• 3 weeks later...
Sue &/or Marty

Thanks for your updates on azure after her refit. We haven't sailed on her before (always sailed on Oriana or Aurora). We are planning to sail on her in October however to the med.

A couple of questions if you could answer would be great:

1. Were short tennis competitions scheduled on sea days?

2. What is the daytime food in the buffet restaurants like? my family like to eat healthily

3. What times does the glasshouse and sindhu serve food in the day? we do not tend to eat until 3pm.

Many thanks

Amanda

Hi Amanda

Just off the Azura from its shortened cruise. I can't seem to get my scanner to work at the moment, but can report that there were no actual hosted short tennis competitions but there were daily " social adult short tennis" sessions each morning which were fairly well attended I understand. There were also deck quoits, and shuffleboard competitions on each sea day in the mornings and social quoits and shuffleboard events in the afternoons and on port days. Also social adult cricket and football although not every day.

There were also Zumba classes daily, along with line dancing,

The daytime food in the buffet was variable but the best selection at lunchtime was the help yourself salads which were excellent. Lunch usually closed at 3pm in the buffet so would recommend getting in there by about 2.30 otherwise the healthy eating goes out of the window when the scones and cakes appear....🍰

The Glass house is open from 11am - the food in there was lovely and well worth the small extra charge IMHO.

Sindhu and Epicurean both opened at 6pm.

Anything else you want to know just ask away!

BTW - our group of 8 had a great time with the exception of yours truly who managed to sustain a back injury which severely curtailed most of my planned activities including going ashore for two of the ports. Fortunately it didn't affect my ability to lift a wine glass.....

(Shame they didn't replace the furniture in the Planet Bar during the refit though as the chairs in this otherwise delightful bar were very shabby.)

Hi Amanda

Just off the Azura from its shortened cruise. I can't seem to get my scanner to work at the moment, but can report that there were no actual hosted short tennis competitions but there were daily " social adult short tennis" sessions each morning which were fairly well attended I understand. There were also deck quoits, and shuffleboard competitions on each sea day in the mornings and social quoits and shuffleboard events in the afternoons and on port days. Also social adult cricket and football although not every day.

The daytime food in the buffet was variable but the best selection at lunchtime was the help yourself salads which were excellent. Lunch usually closed at 3pm in the buffet so would recommend getting in there by about 2.30 otherwise the healthy eating goes out of the window when the scones and cakes appear....🍰

The Glass house is open from 11am - the food in there was lovely and well worth the small extra charge IMHO.

BTW - our group of 8 had a great time with the exception of yours truly who managed to sustain a back injury which severely curtailed most of my planned activities including going ashore for two of the ports. Fortunately it didn't affect my ability to lift a wine glass.....

(Shame they didn't replace the furniture in the Planet Bar during the refit though as the chairs in this otherwise delightful bar were very shabby.)

I read this with both interest and excitement - Azura now has Zumba! I just love my Zumba classes and was dreading missing them for 2 weeks whilst cruising. Am I sad? Do you know what time the classes are held? Hope they dont coincide with excursions!

Hi Amanda

The daytime food in the buffet was variable but the best selection at lunchtime was the help yourself salads which were excellent. Lunch usually closed at 3pm in the buffet so would recommend getting in there by about 2.30 otherwise the healthy eating goes out of the window when the scones and cakes appear....

Hope the back is improving. The 'medicine' helps.

How did you find your cabin? Must admit was hoping for new carpets and mattresses.

How did you find the menu in the Beach House (favourite was the fillet steak on lava rock).. used to be Italian themed when it was called Verona. Same question for the 'Epicurean' changed from 17.

Hope the back is improving. The 'medicine' helps.

How did you find your cabin? Must admit was hoping for new carpets and mattresses.

How did you find the menu in the Beach House (favourite was the fillet steak on lava rock).. used to be Italian themed when it was called Verona. Same question for the 'Epicurean' changed from 17.

The medicine has now changed from the liquid variety to diazepam! :(Hopefully on the mend very slowly thanka

The carpets in the cabin were definitely not new but looked very clean and certainly not threadbare as has been suggested by others. Didn't think to check whether the mattreses were actually new or not but were certainly very comfortable and not showing any signs of over use eg sagging or lumpiness. The tiles in the bathroom around the bath had slight evidence of use - no mould but the odd bit of discolouration in the grouting and around the bath seal. Again, doesn't worry me particularly as the actual sanitary ware was kept spotless. no sign of anything like that around the sink area which was beautifully clean. The rather saggy sofa bed however had seen better days! It was fine to sit on but not sure I would have wanted to sleep on it

The Beach house was not somewhere we tried as the style of menu is not my personal preference, but it seemed popular. It was basically grills, steaks, etc - nothing Italian.

The Epicurian at XV11 ( that's what they call it at the moment!) is very similar to the old XV11 in terms of menu. The food and service was excellent and well worth the cover charge. Our friends also had a meal in Sindhu and said it was superb!

I read this with both interest and excitement - Azura now has Zumba! I just love my Zumba classes and was dreading missing them for 2 weeks whilst cruising. Am I sad? Do you know what time the classes are held? Hope they dont coincide with excursions!

Zumba classes were mainly at 10am on sea days. I'll check the daily program for you and let you know if any different on Port days but I don't recall seeing them on port days.

Mysticalmother, sorry to hear you had back problems on your cruise. Hope you are getting better. How did you find the atmospher on board as it was the shortened one wasn't it?

Surprised I haven't seen more reports of this cruise as there were a fair few moaning beforehand! Glad your group enjoyed yourselves though despite your problems, I always enjoy my holidays, it's amazing what some people moan about!

Hi Sue. We were on the cruise and met up with Mysticalmother and by chance Unicorn3. I found the atmosphere fine. Lots of chat about how we were affected and how sorry everyone was to be missing Naples. Captain Turnbull was very apologetic and we did get extra treats on board. The weather was fun too, with a force 8 gale after Barcelona and difficulty with tendering at Monaco. A cruise to remember! Apparently there were over a thousand new cruisers on board so goodness knows what they thought!!

Mysticalmother, sorry to hear you had back problems on your cruise. Hope you are getting better. How did you find the atmospher on board as it was the shortened one wasn't it?

Surprised I haven't seen more reports of this cruise as there were a fair few moaning beforehand! Glad your group enjoyed yourselves though despite your problems, I always enjoy my holidays, it's amazing what some people moan about!

Sue - we really did not encounter much moaning at all. A lot of honest disappointment at missing Naples in particular yes - but I can honestly say that the atmosphere on board was one of general enjoyment, despite (as ElvieX said!) some rather naughty weather :D.

Whilst waiting to speak to one of the customer services people drafted in specifically to deal with out of pocket expenses etc arising from the delayed start I did hear one couple giving them a mouthful - totally unjustified - and another woman being quite rude to another member of staff but apart from that either we just moved in different circles meeting nice people like ElvieX :), or those onboard were simply determined to make the best of the shortened holiday. Couldn't fault the service, food or entertainment.

Of course there were some minor niggles - nothing in life is ever perfect - but we had a really good time, as we always do.

BTW I have written a review (whilst under the influence of Diazepam/Codeine/Ibuprofen and paracetamol!) which CC may or may not chose to publish, which I hope comes across as generally positive.