Gift and Gear wine orders

With the "Wine and Dine" packages gone has anyone tried pre-ordering wine through the website's "Gift and Gear" tab. We are thinking about ordering our bottles now as the website prices look better than those on board. The site says bottles can be ordered to the room and dining room. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

With the "Wine and Dine" packages gone has anyone tried pre-ordering wine through the website's "Gift and Gear" tab. We are thinking about ordering our bottles now as the website prices look better than those on board. The site says bottles can be ordered to the room and dining room. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

We order wine for the stateroom from time to time. Since there is no corkage fee, I'd rather get the wine in the stateroom and take it to the dining room. Many times they would look at me like I'm from Mars when I tell them I have some wine waiting for me in the dining room. This way, they don't have to search for it.

We have used it so we have wine in our room for sail away. Only missed once. No one had any recorded of it. I did but it was home. Silly me!! I learned RC did reimburse me though. I usually order champagne. It is sitting in an ice bucket with two champagne flutes. So nice!!!

We order wine for the stateroom from time to time. Since there is no corkage fee, I'd rather get the wine in the stateroom and take it to the dining room. Many times they would look at me like I'm from Mars when I tell them I have some wine waiting for me in the dining room. This way, they don't have to search for it.

Do you walk into the dining room with your bottle. Do they charge a corkage fee to walk in with a bottle?

Do you walk into the dining room with your bottle. Do they charge a corkage fee to walk in with a bottle?

Yes, we walk in with the bottle. There are no corkage fees at all anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
How is this gratuity added? At the time of purchase or onboard the ship?

At the time you purchase. Do you really think that Royal would defer collecting any money they possibly could?:rolleyes:

I am doing this for the 5/16/2015 AOS sailing. In the absence of our dearly departed "wine and dine" package I've ordered about 10 bottles to be delivered to our stateroom on the first night, figuring the price was not too far off the cost of the old package. I will let you know how it goes.

Except for wine, we are not big drinkers so we are content to drink water/lemonade/iced tea/coffee during the day and don't plan to buy the packages. Plus we are in a GS so we will enjoy a complementary cocktail or two each evening in the CL.

for my cruise on June 4th it's actually a good bit cheaper to order from gift and gear and there appears to be no gratuity. It's my fruit cruise so correct me if I'm wrong [emoji38] the cheapest bottle of wine I can find is $31 on any wine list, 18% is added to this is $36.58. The cheapest bottle on my gifts and gear is €25.90, that's the final price upon cc payment. That's $29.44, $7.14 cheaper per bottle! I assumed that if this is purchased as an actual gift they can't charge someone not travelling on the ship gratuity likewise they can't charge someone gratuity for a gift they received from a loved one?

I assumed that if this is purchased as an actual gift they can't charge someone not travelling on the ship gratuity likewise they can't charge someone gratuity for a gift they received from a loved one?

I cannot explain the disparity in pricing, but gratuity is charged at the time of purchase, even if you purchase as a gift for someone else.

When looking at the MDR wine list I actually noticed prices were a bit less than when ordering through gifts and gear - at least for my upcoming cruise on Radiance from Vancouver. For example, the Trumpeter Malbec is $30 per bottle in the MDR, while preordering from the gifts and gear shop it is $35. Here is a link to the latest onboard wine list:

http://s1331.photobucket.com/user/critterchick1953/media/Royal%20Caribbean%20wine%20list%202015/130_zps1odsfiwj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

This doesn't include any possible onboard discounts as well ...

Edited by weatherboy80

When looking at the MDR wine list I actually noticed prices were a bit less than when ordering through gifts and gear - at least for my upcoming cruise on Radiance from Vancouver. For example, the Trumpeter Malbec is $30 per bottle in the MDR, while preordering from the gifts and gear shop it is $35. Here is a link to the latest onboard wine list:

http://s1331.photobucket.com/user/critterchick1953/media/Royal%20Caribbean%20wine%20list%202015/130_zps1odsfiwj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

This doesn't include any possible onboard discounts as well ...

It comes out the same. In the MDR it's $30 plus 18% gratuity, which would be $35.40. Through Gifts and Gear it's $35.40.

It comes out the same. In the MDR it's $30 plus 18% gratuity, which would be $35.40. Through Gifts and Gear it's $35.40.

That's right - good observation :) Well, at least when buying onboard I can use OBC.

Edited by weatherboy80