Windsor Post-cruise from Heathrow Hotel

The question is, of course, slightly more complicated than that!

We're spending a week pre-cruise in London at the Marriott Park Lane, courtesy of waaaaaaay too much business travel over the last several years. Still working out our day trip ideas, but that's coming along thanks to suggestions on an earlier post.

We return to Harwich on August 10, and had planned to fly home that afternoon, BUT, United suddenly offered a supersaver BusinessFirst award fare if only we spent one more day in the UK! How could we refuse?

We're booked into the London Heathrow Marriott on the 10th, with a 4:20 flight on the 11th. We've been planning a trip to Windsor at some point during the trip, but it seems somewhat logical to look at a transfer (possibly a private car, which I'll gladly take suggestions) back to Heathrow and then spend the balance of the day and possibly early evening in Windsor. How difficult would this be from a Heathrow hotel? I know we'll be very close to Windsor, just not sure of transportation options from hotels in the area! We're open to any an all ideas; simpler and cheaper are best, but if a private car or taxi is "best", we're open to that as well.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks!

It's not difficult to get from Heathrow to Windsor, and there are many threads about how to do this, both by public transport and by taxi/car. And if you're interested in seeing Windsor, then I agree that this is the point of your trip to do it.

However, I'd suggest something slightly different: stay in Windsor, not at Heathrow. As your flight to the US is not until the following afternoon, there isn't any need to stay close to the airport. That way, you can make the most of Windsor both on the 10th (including all evening) and the 11th before you transfer back to Heathrow in time to check-in for your flight home.

However, I'd suggest something slightly different: stay in Windsor, not at Heathrow. As your flight to the US is not until the following afternoon, there isn't any need to stay close to the airport. That way, you can make the most of Windsor both on the 10th (including all evening) and the 11th before you transfer back to Heathrow in time to check-in for your flight home.

Interesting idea! Any suggestions for a place to stay?

The easiest option is to book a minicab. It takes ~20 minutes and costs ~£25 each way. Alternatively, you can take the tube to London Paddington, followed by a train to Windsor. It takes ~1 hour and costs ~£10 each way. The third option is to rent a car. It's more expensive, but it gives you more freedom.

The Macdonald Windsor Hotel is wonderful. It is directly across from Windsor Castle, and there are lots of shops, restaurants and pubs nearby.
It also handily comes top of TripAdvisor's list. Even with the caution with which one should approach TripAdvisor reviews and ratings, there would seem to be a limit to how far one could go wrong with this hotel.

• 3 months later...

For anyone who wants to do it in the future.

In the end, we stayed at Heathrow. The Marriott was much less expensive than the hotels in Windsor, so even with the fare to and from, it worked out better.

We shared a van with members of our roll call from Harwich to Heathrow, and arrived at about 10:30 in the morning (with our room available!). We took the lazy way out and took a mini-cab arranged by the hotel (£35 each way, which I realize is high, but we paid for convenience) and arrived at the castle a little before noon.

TIP FOR FUTURE VISITORS: There was a long line for tickets. One of the very helpful folks standing outside was almost "begging" people getting in line to let her know if they'd pre-booked. She "suggested" we step aside and book the tickets on my iPhone, as all you need is the booking number in your confirmation e-mail, and you skip the outside line to get to the ticket line to get in line to buy tickets. About 10 minutes to fat finger in two tickets, 1 minute to the front of the line, another 1-2 minutes to pick up the tickets, through security, and onto the castle grounds. Book ahead, even if it's in the parking lot waiting for your bus to unload. DO NOT STAND IN LINE!

We spent almost 3 hours in the castle, not listening to everything on the audio guide, but much of it. We did not stand in the line for Queen Mary's Doll House, but did pretty much everything else. We walked through the village and across the bridge into Eton, where of course the college grounds were closed to the public for whatever reason that day.

A nice beer at one of the (chain, Wetherspoon) pubs in town, and an easy ride back to Heathrow. After which we collapsed into a heap preparing for our flight home.

I am sure that many people will find that helpful. I would just mention that hotel prices vary considerably day-to-day.

For example, A room at the Marriott this weekend would be £111 and at the Macdonald Windsor, £118. No doubt that would be a lot cheaper if I was booking further ahead. It's always worthwhile checking, and checking directly rather than through the agencies.