Winchester

Is it better to take the train or the bus from Southampton to Winchester for a day trip? Costs?

Is either drop off point better to get to the sites in town?

Thanks

Lyn

Train is quicker at about 15 minutes vs an hour by bus. Both are frequent (about 3 per hour), no need to check timetables. Both will be less frequent on a sunday.

Winchester station is about a 15 minute walk from the centre & cathedral, pleasant enough going downhill past the Great Hall (the only remaining bit of the castle) & the WestGate (little museum in there) and thro the pedestrianized High Street, tho' you might find it a bit of a chore walking back to the station.

This is where the bus has the edge, the bus station is slap in the centre, on Broadway, which is a continuation of the High Street & a two minute walk from the cathedral. (There are plans to close the bus station & re-develop it, but the bus stops will still be there.)

http://www.bluestarbus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=1290

There's a taxi rank in the Broadway, or take that same bus, if you want a ride back from Broadway to Winchester train station.

Off the top of my head there'll be little difference in train / bus fares at around £10 day-return

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I live in Winchester and fully endorse everything JB has said. :) If you are lucky, you might come on a day when it is the Hampshire Farmer's Market which is a very pleasant experience.

Great info as usually JB

Will add this to my notes

We could take the train there & the bus back LOL

Lyn

Fares don't work in your favour doing that, Lyn.

A one-way train ticket costs £6.40, whereas a day-return ticket costs just 40 pence more at £6.80.

I don't know the bus fares, but for instance an all-day ticket which includes Southampton & Winchester is £7.20 & that's probably little more than a single ticket.

But it's small-beer in the greater scheme of things, and would give you the two different experiences :)

As well as avoiding the uphill walk.

Fares don't work in your favour doing that, Lyn.

A one-way train ticket costs £6.40, whereas a day-return ticket costs just 40 pence more at £6.80.

I don't know the bus fares, but for instance an all-day ticket which includes Southampton & Winchester is £7.20 & that's probably little more than a single ticket.

But it's small-beer in the greater scheme of things, and would give you the two different experiences :)

As well as avoiding the uphill walk.

I was just kidding

but then if I had to add taxi fare to the train on the return HMMM

I live in Winchester and fully endorse everything JB has said. :) If you are lucky, you might come on a day when it is the Hampshire Farmer's Market which is a very pleasant experience.

If I was doing a day trip somewhere and could not take food back on board I would find a farmer's market a serious frustration:( (we have three within walking distance every week so we are spoiled rotten!:D:D:D)

If you are lucky, you might come on a day when it is the Hampshire Farmer's Market which is a very pleasant experience.

I think we are too early to see the Farmers Markets :(

We are not on a port stop so do not need to worry about taking food onboard ..just back to the hotel ..if they allow you to take food into your room

Thanks

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We are not on a port stop so do not need to worry about taking food onboard ..just back to the hotel ..if they allow you to take food into your room

Thanks

Lyn

I have not been to Windsor's market but - Cheese from local makers. Also bread and butter... Sounds like lunch to me :)

I have not been to Windsor's market but - Cheese from local makers. Also bread and butter... Sounds like lunch to me :)

But don't wash it down with English wine :eek:

Thanks

Lyn

Too early? How do you mean? They are usually twice a month throughout the year in Winchester - if you give me your dates I will look it up for you.

Some English wine is pretty good - it's the British wine you need to avoid.

Hi Steve

I ran a bar in an English vineyard. Their own stuff was pretty "green" & acidic because we're just too far north to produce good stuff, though there was one grape variety called Bacchus which was half-decent. Ditto places like Lamberhurst.

But for whatever reason English sparkling wines are better, & have won blind tastings against even Champagne.

Yes, "British" wine is awful - made in the UK from excess must exported by tanker from the European wine lake. Don't tend to see that these days, perhaps the EC agriculture policy has eventually got its act together. ;)

Too early? How do you mean? They are usually twice a month throughout the year in Winchester - if you give me your dates I will look it up for you.

I found a webpage & most did not start until late June

We are there June 4 & 5th

Thanks

I found a webpage & most did not start until late June

We are there June 4 & 5th

Thanks

Not sure which website you were looking at, but I assure you the Hampshire Farmers Market is at Winchester on a Sunday throughout the year, once or twice a month. See : http://www.visit-hampshire.co.uk/food-and-drink/events/winchester-farmers-market-p191521

But sadly, not the weekend you are here... :(

Edited by Scriv

Not sure which website you were looking at, but I assure you the Hampshire Farmers Market is at Winchester on a Sunday throughout the year, once or twice a month. See : http://www.visit-hampshire.co.uk/food-and-drink/events/winchester-farmers-market-p191521

But sadly, not the weekend you are here... :(

Yes... we are too early :D

Yes, too early for both the June ones - and obviously too late for the Jan - May ones lol. :)

Also too early for the Sunday markets as you are coming on the 4th and 5th which is a Thursday and Friday and these markets are Sundays generally. I was convinced you were coming on a Sunday!!!

Thoroughly confused now as I have realised you are probably coming next year, June 2016, when the 4th and 5th are a Sat and a Sunday.

I'm going for a lie down lol!!!!!!

Edited by Scriv

I also checked this site http://www.hampshirefarmersmarkets.co.uk/market-locations/

but none on the Thurs & Fri we are there

In Germany on the river cruise they did have markets on weekdays in some towns

It is always nice to see what different produce you can get in other Countries even if you cannot buy it ;)

Yes, too early for both the June ones - and obviously too late for the Jan - May ones lol. :)

Also too early for the Sunday markets as you are coming on the 4th and 5th which is a Thursday and Friday and these markets are Sundays generally. I was convinced you were coming on a Sunday!!!

Thoroughly confused now as I have realised you are probably coming next year, June 2016, when the 4th and 5th are a Sat and a Sunday.

I'm going for a lie down lol!!!!!!

No they are coming this year:D

• 1 month later...

Sorry to wake you up.:)

Dudette and I are spending a week in London post cruise the second week of September. When we stopped in Winchester a couple of years ago on NE coach, I immediately fell in love with what I saw and said that a return was a must. So we are thinking of coming down from London on the NE as Dudette is in a wheelchair so coming by train and the hill JB describes is a bit daunting but I am open to suggestions. We are staying in the Waterloo area and it appears that our best option is to cab it to the Elephant & Castle, catch the NE there which is going to take us to Victoria Station then with a change of bus we go to Winchester.

Second question, is getting around in a wheelchair reasonably easy?

Third question, will we be able to fill 3 or 4 hours there?