Pride bed advice

We just got off the Pride yesterday. The beds were so hard and uncomfortable. We don't have back issues but woke up the first two mornings extra early because we couldn't stand the beds anymore and had to walk off the back pain. On the second sea day, we saw our room steward and mentioned to him about the uncomfortable beds. He said they were brand new. He also said he could put down extra comforters under the fitted bed sheet. He asked how soft we wanted it. He used 2 comforters and the bed was so much better the rest of the cruise! Yes, he got a nice extra tip!!!

I agree with bakersdozen12, everyone has their own preference. I like an extra soft bed like a full wave waterbed so I do appreciate the tip on the extra comforters. Although with chasing after my 10 and 6 year old all day I am sure I will be tired and will sleep on anywhere.

We hated the hard beds. While I agree that support is good, these beds are a little harder than just giving you some "support". For me, it was the same as if I had decided to sleep on the floor. I ended up with a stiff neck 2 times on the cruise and yes, my back was hurting at night and I would toss and turn all night long while waking up to find that my arm had fell asleep (hey at least something on my body was sleeping because it wasn't me). :p

I wish I would have thoughts to ask for more "cushion" to the bed with another comforter or something. :(

Yes, there is a lot of vibration in the aft area. ;)

Last cruise on the Triumph we broke down and bought a $40 mattress topper at WM and took it on the boat with us. Made a world of difference and came off without any major back problems like we have had in the last couple of years. These ship mattresses have got steadily worse over the last couple of years, the Magic ones are the worst we've come across.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Pride today .. The beds were like sleeping on a slab of rock...simply awful. I read the reviews about the beds and the vibration of the ship....I took it with a grain of salt, but they were 100% correct in saying the beds were extremely uncomfortable and the ship movement (vibrations and movement in general) were bad. I've been on 8 cruises and have never felt that much movement before nor slept that badly because of the beds.

The harder the mattress the better I sleep and my orthopedic surgeon totally agrees. Problem is, he says, that most people's home mattresses are often old and have broken down over the years and people have gotten used to the bed engulfing them while they sleep.

I don't understand what sleeping on a comforter would do to eliminate the firmness of the mattress...guess it's the same theory that made pillow top mattresses so popular a few years back. Just put a pillow behind your knees which will raise your buttocks and eliminate any stress on your lower spine.

Another vote for painfully hard mattress on the Pride. Took home with us some new aches and pains from our April sailing that has finally resolved. We are seasoned cruisers who will be purchasing a topper for our December cruise.

Sailed the PRIDE on May 3rd.....mattress was fine; very comfortable.

As far as vibration goes, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. The PRIDE rides like a ship should: up and down, and side to side.

My first experience with the hard beds was on the Pride's sister ship, Miracle, in 2011. I was young then, and that bed still hurt me, and I slept horribly. I blamed the ship, as all my previous cruises had the soft, super comfy beds. But I soon found out that these rock beds were Carnival's new thing. Every time a mattress gets replaced, they are the new hard mattresses. So there could possibly be some of the super comfy ones out there, but there won't be an entire ship with them. Most ships will have a mix of the soft ones & the rocks, but the soft ones are becoming more rare. The Breeze, which will have all rock beds, was harder than a rock! I have slept on top of the comforter, and just kept the room a bit warmer, and I slept better. The comforter does indeed help. Any cushion is better than no cushion. Some people benefit from sleeping on rocks, but not me.