Weight Gain

avewal4

Well, ask me in August if it actually worked out that way ;)

I have lost 55 lbs since mid-January, with another 15-20 to go--I'd love to think I'll be at my goal by the time we leave at the end of July. I have stayed on track by telling myself "You can eat anything you want on the cruise." LOL.

I lost about the same amount over 3 years ago when I switched to a plant based diet and not only did the pounds melt away but all my other numbers took a nose dive. I still eat plant based on trips and find that if I stick with vegetarian meals I do ok.

Let me know how it works out!!!

I lost about the same amount over 3 years ago when I switched to a plant based diet and not only did the pounds melt away but all my other numbers took a nose dive. I still eat plant based on trips and find that if I stick with vegetarian meals I do ok.

Let me know how it works out!!!

Lots of the time the vegetarian entrees are the ones that look best to me! On my first date with DH, I happened to order a vegetarian dish and he was concerned I was vegetarian, because his family are all steak and potato people and figured he'd never be able to bring home a vegetarian :) He didn't ask, though. On our second date I also got a vegetarian entrée, but at the time said I was having a hard time deciding between that one and something with meat, so he realized he'd been worried for nothing!

Lots of the time the vegetarian entrees are the ones that look best to me! On my first date with DH, I happened to order a vegetarian dish and he was concerned I was vegetarian, because his family are all steak and potato people and figured he'd never be able to bring home a vegetarian :) He didn't ask, though. On our second date I also got a vegetarian entrée, but at the time said I was having a hard time deciding between that one and something with meat, so he realized he'd been worried for nothing!

Good thing....I will eat meat, but NEVER fish, I just like fruits and vegetables better and Vantage has one of the best vegetarian chefs on the planet!!!! Only time I had one I didn't like was the night I discovered I don't like gorgonzola.....and she made it over for me with a different cheese.

What was the best of the wursts? :rolleyes:

My favorite is weißwurst.

I am enjoying this thread.

I also lost a lot of weigh (145 pounds) 30 years ago and have kept it off. It requires dedication to both daily exercise and healthy eating. This is why I don't overdo it on vacation.

My favorite is weißwurst.

I am enjoying this thread.

I also lost a lot of weigh (145 pounds) 30 years ago and have kept it off. It requires dedication to both daily exercise and healthy eating. This is why I don't overdo it on vacation.

Congratulations on a very difficult job well done!!! It does require constant dedication but unfortunately I have mobility issues now that I didn't have 2 years ago, so I have to be especially careful what I eat. That being said, I find I enjoy more plant based foods than animal based ones. As for the wurst...not a fan, although I did try it in Vienna and it was very good. This has been a fun thread. :D

Congratulations--that is quite an accomplishment! I have always managed to lose the weight, but have never kept it off more than a couple months. This time I've chosen a more realistic, and I hope maintainable, goal weight. I'd rather be a bit heavier and be successful at keeping it off than lose a bunch more and gain everything back in a year or two!

In the past I have always managed to maintain or lose on vacation, so I hope history repeats itself on this trip! And I'll do what I can to help it.

Congratulations--that is quite an accomplishment! I have always managed to lose the weight, but have never kept it off more than a couple months. This time I've chosen a more realistic, and I hope maintainable, goal weight. I'd rather be a bit heavier and be successful at keeping it off than lose a bunch more and gain everything back in a year or two!

In the past I have always managed to maintain or lose on vacation, so I hope history repeats itself on this trip! And I'll do what I can to help it.

Speaking as a more than experienced orthopedic nightmare....my ortho thinks it's medically safer for senior citizens to carry some (not as much as I'd like) extra fat to protect our bodies when we fall. I can attest to this since when I fell off the kitchen counter a few years ago (don't ask) I probably would have broken my hip(s) instead of my ankles but the extra weight more than likely protected my hips.... So look on that occasional cooky as a potential life saver!!! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Speaking as a more than experienced orthopedic nightmare....my ortho thinks it's medically safer for senior citizens to carry some (not as much as I'd like) extra fat to protect our bodies when we fall. I can attest to this since when I fell off the kitchen counter a few years ago (don't ask) I probably would have broken my hip(s) instead of my ankles but the extra weight more than likely protected my hips.... So look on that occasional cooky as a potential life saver!!! :D

My maternal grandfather used to say, "You get skinny, you die!" Of course, that was back in the days when you got skinny because you were wasting away from cancer or something. We joke about his statement but I believe there's some merit to that theory. In January we lost my beloved aunt to the flu, and I firmly believe it's because she had no reserves to fall back on when she got sick.

My paternal grandmother was proud that unlike her sisters, she kept her trim figure all her life. She fell on the ice at age 82, broke her hip and shoulder and died about a month later. Her heavier sisters lived well into their 90s, although by the end of their lives their mobility wasn't good. There's a happy medium somewhere.

Now that my father is in his 80s, I worry when he loses weight, even though he complains when he gains a little! He would run himself ragged exercising every day if my mom didn't keep an eye on him.