Chankanaab Snorkel Entry - Difficult?

AJCruisinFun

Hi everyone!

Could anyone describe the snorkel entry at Chankanaab? I've read it is steps into the ocean, but are they slippery or steep? I'm in recovery from an ankle injury and can walk quite well, but have to be a little careful with hiking and large rocks.

Thank you both for the information, jacksmycat and smokinmike! It is very helpful. :) I'm wary of fins because I don't want to trip or cause my ankle to flex upward (naturally clumsy, lol), but it sounds like wearing water sneakers won't work very well, either. I 'll have to look into the bootie idea!

we were there last May, and yes, the steps can be a little slippery..... there is a hand rail that helped a little. I don't mean to say its dangerous, just be careful. and you are going to swim anyway, so just go forward and plunge in. After you do it once, you get the hang of it. Ps. i'm a 47 year old, 280 lb guy and i made it, so you should be ok.

PS. there is good snorkling there, one of our kids lost his glasses when he jumped off of the floating platform in 17 foot water,, we were able to spot them from the surface and then dive down and retreive them, if that describes how clear the water is.... (Ps. i don't know why he chose to swim out there with his glasses:( )

PS. there is also another trade off. Going down the steps with fins is very tricky, because of they way they grab the water as you try to step down, that was the most tricky part. but as the other person said, snorkling in shoes would be very tiring. And of course with fins you have to back out of the steps, What i did was sit on the steps and put my fins on, and then swam up backwards and took my fins off to get out.

PS. there is also another trade off. Going down the steps with fins is very tricky, because of they way they grab the water as you try to step down, that was the most tricky part. but as the other person said, snorkling in shoes would be very tiring. And of course with fins you have to back out of the steps, What i did was sit on the steps and put my fins on, and then swam up backwards and took my fins off to get out.

You don't go down the steps in fins, you carry them and put them on after you are in the water, and you take them off while you are still away from the steps. Sitting on the steps is not safe.

Edited by zqvol

We have been here twice to snorkel and loved it.

Yes, the steps can be slippery...just think of anything that's been in the water for any amount of time, it grows algae and stuff on it. However, they all do have handrails to hold on to going down the steps. Just take it nice and slow and watch the waves coming in and out and you should be fine.

They have steps that are made of rocks and then there are steps that are made of steel/aluminum(?) not really sure which since I'm not "hip" on those things.

Depending on which one you enter at, there "may" be a bit of a drop off after the last step.

IMG_7989-L.jpg

Here's 2 different pictures that I took at 2 of the different steps locations to give you an idea of what I mean.

IMG_5659-L.jpg

IMG_8078-L.jpg

So just be aware you could be stepping off onto an uneven rock or a flat bottom or nothing at all because it's a little deeper. :)