San Francisco Hotel Help

bola

Need help deciding which moderate priced hotel I should choose. This is our first time in San Francisco. Looking for a safe area, close to main attractions and restaurants. I have narrowed my search to these 4 hotels: Motel Capri, Castle Inn, Coventry Inn, & the Comfort Inn by the Bay. Open to suggestions.

Capri Motel is in the trendy Marina District (think Yuppies & BMWs). Probably the most quiet of the four. It's in between Chestnut & Union Streets, the centers of Yuppiedom.

I used to live 2 blocks away from the Castle Inn, it looks and feels like a converted apartment building on a busy street. Really narrow parking spaces.

Comfort Inn, the only thing I could think of was I took a couple of tests there to get my licences and there's a great steak house, Bobo's, across the street, and its across the street from my Chase branch.

Last fall a number of folks on our roll call used one of the major hotel bidding sites to bid on a SF Fisherman's Wharf hotel. We obtained the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf for less than $90 per night. I would have to check our travel records but I believe we obtained it for $80.00 per night. Since the hotel accepted pets it was rather clear that the bid was for the Sheraton, and after one person bid and then received the confirmation that it was indeed the Sheraton the rest of us followed.

San Francisco hotels tend to be expensive. We have stayed at some of the Chelsea Inn sister motels. These are not very fancy but I like staying in the Marina area. If I want a nice hotel I will look at the bidding for hotel sites and book a 4 star. the city is small geographically with great public transit. Last trip was during flight week and the rates were very very expensive ($300 for a 3*) I found a 4* in the financial district for $130. Very nice by the Embarcadero center.

Plan to walk a lot (ask around if you want to avoid some of the steep hills). If you are the planning type you can look at the Muni routes and schedules for the buses that will get you to the major areas. There are passes that will let you use the buses trolleys and Cable Cars for 1 or more days. Also - when we lived there we would take taxies when we got lazy or late at night. (FYI if you take public transit watch your valuables as there are pickpockets on some of the busy routes. Chinatown and North Beach especially.

I have a question for you who know San Francisco. We just booked the Best Western Tuscan Inn at 425 N Point Street. It says it is within walking distance of Pier 39, can you tell me if that is a flat walk (little or no hills)? Also how far is it from Ghirardelli Square and is this a safe area. Thanks for any help

I have a question for you who know San Francisco. We just booked the Best Western Tuscan Inn at 425 N Point Street. It says it is within walking distance of Pier 39, can you tell me if that is a flat walk (little or no hills)? Also how far is it from Ghirardelli Square and is this a safe area. Thanks for any help

It's in the middle of Fisherman's Wharf, so it's a relatively safe area, usual precautions at night of course :)

Area is flat, depending on the route, you're right in the middle between Pier 39 and Ghirardelli Square, 4-5 blocks.

At the corner, across the street, is a shopping center with a Safeway grocery store and Walgreens drugstore. A block away on the backside is a Trader Joe's grocery store.

Enjoy your stay!