Freeport snorkeling choice?

fhmoore

I'm going to post this question on the port and Fantasy forum also but hope someone who's been to Freeport lately can give me some advice. In Freeport I want to go to a good swimming beach (no rocky or slimy bottom!!) and my husband wants good snorkeling (either from the beach or the beach offering a boat to reef or such). Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

A couple of years ago we went to Paradise Cove Beach Resort. Nice sandy beach, but the reef is a little way offshore in the gap between two islands. They do have a boat that can take you out there and drop you off and you swim back in, otherwise it's a long swim there and back, while I'm not the best swimmer I managed OK. At one point there was just me and a ray swimming side by side, pretty awesome.

The shuttle picks you up at the pier and brings you back when you're ready and it's not that much for the trip, plus you avoid those horrible Carnival excursions with so many people.

I think we will do Paradise Cove, I will not snorkel but my husband will, My main question is how is the beach "floor".....is it rocky? Or, are there places you can walk out into the water that's sandy? Thanks!

There is sand on the beach... but, once in the water, Paradise Cove has a hard bottom.

I've always enjoyed Paradise Cove. I find it so much more relaxing than where the cruise lines steer you... Port Lucaya. I don't want a crowded shopping area with a beach that has nothing underwater to see. I want something peaceful and relaxing, and that's just what I get at Paradise Cove. It also seems to be the only place around with a reef that's accessible from shore... and that easily seals the deal for me. :cool:

If I wanted sand between my toes while I waded through the water, I'd have to look elsewhere. I'm sure all your choices have boats which can take your hubby offshore for diving.

Paradise Cove doesn't have a great place for swimming in the water. The beach is sand of course, but it's nothing but rocks and slippery ones at that once you hit the water. It's really hard to get out far enough to swim without almost falling. :( We snorkeled there and didn't really enjoy it. It's a really long swim and the day we were there the waves were horrid and it completely wore us out. We didn't think the snorkeling was too awesome either. (I have a complete review in my signature link if you are considering this place). Just another thing, the staff is really rude as well. (Several reviews various places also had this experience).