Azura 8th May - delayed by 24hrs

caroline135

“Azura has completed the repair and we have undertaken extensive testing overnight. Azura has now left Bergen to return to Southampton where she will arrive on Saturday, where guests on the current cruise will be able to disembark. As there are already four ships scheduled to be in Southampton on Saturday the port is completely full so unfortunately, those passengers joining Azura will start their cruise on Sunday. We have contacted over 80% of passengers already and we will continue to call and email everyone throughout today with a revised itinerary and boarding times for Sunday.”

“We know that there are a number of wedding parties and other celebrations planned for Azura’s next cruise and we are working hard to ensure that we make this a fantastic cruise for everyone. We are so sorry about this delay and thank all our passengers again for your patience.”

Sympathy to those sailing on this delayed cruise. :(

Hope the rest of your cruise has fabulous weather and calm seas ...

These faults are rumoured to be the result of the ship breaking free from where it was anchored in Geiranger [sp] and making contact with the seabed. Isn't it the second ship to have done that recently...?

I and my family were on board Azura this past week.

The Captain categorically denied any connection with what happened in Geiranger.

Yes the ship was berthed and was caught by a sudden very fierce gust of wind or winds causing 2 of her berthing ropes to snap.

It took 6 of the tenders and a couple of tugs to get her back in situ.

The Captain then took us out into deeper water to protect any damage being done. We had 500 passengers ashore and needed to get them back safely.

The following day the hull was inspected by divers to confirm there had been no damage.

We were getting ready to leave Flaam and while the pre sail tests were being done, a problem with the electrics on the propulsion was found. The engineers worked on this round the clock.

The weather forecast was to be very high winds. We stayed in Flaam overnight.

The following morning we set sail down the Fjord in relatively calm waters. The Captain then advised that another problem resulting from the original electrical problem had occurred.

He advised we would put into Began and pick up a Technician who was being flown in from Hamburg. We sailed from Bergan with the Technician on board to Southampton.

The weather worsened as we hit the north sea.

I for one and there were many like me was very grateful we had the problems in calm waters, because it would have been a very different story if we had broken down in the north sea and the rough seas.

At no time did you feel any un ease from any of the crew, they went about their jobs as if nothing was happening. We were kept informed by the Captain as to what was going on and what was being done.

Yes, it added another day to the cruise and of course this was not convenient for some but everything was done that could be done.

A £100 OBC gesture to every passenger caused a riot of shopping. I have never seen the so many people with bottles of booze and sleeves of cigarettes going back to the cabins.

Azura shops will have to be completely restocked.

One lady in particular swore to us that it was her first cruise with P&O and it would be her last.

The future deposit awarded to her was of no use. She stormed reception with her story and was offered 20% of her on board bill instead.

She was not happy with that as she had not spent £50. It was a case of take it or leave it.

We believe she took it. But she will most certainly be sending the CEO a letter with all her complaints on it.

My advise to her would be lighten up.

The Captain and all his crew should be congratulated and commended for their dedication to duty.

I and my family were on board Azura this past week.

The Captain categorically denied any connection with what happened in Geiranger.

Yes the ship was berthed and was caught by a sudden very fierce gust of wind or winds causing 2 of her berthing ropes to snap.

It took 6 of the tenders and a couple of tugs to get her back in situ.

The Captain then took us out into deeper water to protect any damage being done. We had 500 passengers ashore and needed to get them back safely.

The following day the hull was inspected by divers to confirm there had been no damage.

We were getting ready to leave Flaam and while the pre sail tests were being done, a problem with the electrics on the propulsion was found. The engineers worked on this round the clock.

The weather forecast was to be very high winds. We stayed in Flaam overnight.

The following morning we set sail down the Fjord in relatively calm waters. The Captain then advised that another problem resulting from the original electrical problem had occurred.

He advised we would put into Began and pick up a Technician who was being flown in from Hamburg. We sailed from Bergan with the Technician on board to Southampton.

The weather worsened as we hit the north sea.

I for one and there were many like me was very grateful we had the problems in calm waters, because it would have been a very different story if we had broken down in the north sea and the rough seas.

At no time did you feel any un ease from any of the crew, they went about their jobs as if nothing was happening. We were kept informed by the Captain as to what was going on and what was being done.

Yes, it added another day to the cruise and of course this was not convenient for some but everything was done that could be done.

A £100 OBC gesture to every passenger caused a riot of shopping. I have never seen the so many people with bottles of booze and sleeves of cigarettes going back to the cabins.

Azura shops will have to be completely restocked.

One lady in particular swore to us that it was her first cruise with P&O and it would be her last.

The future deposit awarded to her was of no use. She stormed reception with her story and was offered 20% of her on board bill instead.

She was not happy with that as she had not spent £50. It was a case of take it or leave it.

We believe she took it. But she will most certainly be sending the CEO a letter with all her complaints on it.

My advise to her would be lighten up.

The Captain and all his crew should be congratulated and commended for their dedication to duty.

Many thanks for the full account. Bet it was a tad hairy in Geiranger as that was all kicking off!!!

Never heard of lifeboats of being used to reposition a ship, needs must I guess, all sounds quite entertaining!

Yes, thank you Geminisquirrel for that account, and a postive take on it too. I dread to think what some of the reviews will be like. I'm following this with interest as I'm on Azura in just over 3 weeks.