Long Beach questions

TNIris

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of questions about cruising out of L.A. We will be coming from Disneyland to the cruise port. What is the best (cheapest) way to get there? My husband said maybe renting a car? But is there a car rental place close to the cruise port? Coming from TN, I really don't relish the thought of driving in L.A. So what would be my next best bet? We used Carmel car service in New York, and they are quoting $150 to take us from Anaheim to Long Beach.

Question 2: My 12 year old is having an absolute fit to see the walk of fame in Hollywood. My husband was thinking maybe we could somehow do that on debarktation day and just fly out that night, which would give us the whole day. What would be the best way to do this? Are there any tours you are aware of (and what would we do with our luggage??)

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you!!

Look at Supershuttle or Primetime for the trip to LAX.

(For taxi rates look at taxifarefinder.com, just to compare to the shuttle rates)

For your debarkation tour, try Sunseekers.

The cheapest way from Disneyland to Long Beach is a rental car. You need to call different companies to check out rates for one way trip with an office in Long Beach. Ask about shuttles to the cruise terminal from the car drop off. The car trip will be mostly highway driving - traffic depends on day and time.

Call the cruise line and find out if they offer a checkin and luggage service for your airline. Many cruiselines will get your boarding passes and deliver your luggage to the airport for a per person fee. You might also see if your cruise will be offering a tour to Hollywood. Not cheap but at least your transportation and luggage are taken care of.

LAX is a very busy airport and the lines can be very long so you want to make sure your tour ends in time to get to your plane. Check if you book with a private tour company.

Edited by skandls

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of questions about cruising out of L.A. We will be coming from Disneyland to the cruise port. What is the best (cheapest) way to get there? My husband said maybe renting a car? But is there a car rental place close to the cruise port? Coming from TN, I really don't relish the thought of driving in L.A. So what would be my next best bet? We used Carmel car service in New York, and they are quoting $150 to take us from Anaheim to Long Beach.

Question 2: My 12 year old is having an absolute fit to see the walk of fame in Hollywood. My husband was thinking maybe we could somehow do that on debarktation day and just fly out that night, which would give us the whole day. What would be the best way to do this? Are there any tours you are aware of (and what would we do with our luggage??)

Thank you!!

Make sure you have the right port. Carnival uses the Port of Long Beach almost exclusively (usually if another ship such as a Princess one stops there, it's for a port day only and not for embarkation or disembarkation).

All other cruise lines use the Port of Los Angeles, in San Pedro (also known as the "World Cruise Center").

You'll want to make sure any transportation is booked for the right pickup spot.

I am cruising out of Long Beach next month at the end of a business trip. Picking up a car at LAX from Hertz and dropping off across the street from the terminal in Long Beach. No extra charge.

I called the Hertz location in Long Beach and while it appears across the street from the terminal, it is still about a 2 mile walk. I'll think we'll take a taxi to the terminal.

Hi everyone!

Thank you!!

I always love it when someone asks what the CHEAPEST way to get somewhere is...I am tempted to say "Cheapest? On foot! It may take you several hours..." :)

All kidding aside, rental car is probably cheapest, followed by a shared shuttle (check Super Shuttle or PrimeTime Shuttle or others). Driving in Greater Los Angeles is not quite as daunting as some think. Sure, driving city streets in Hollywood or parts of the West Side may be...Rush hour could be frustrating at times...But what you are describing--Disneyland to Long Beach? Piecce of cake...It's pretty much all freeway, all "suburban"...So, not many stoplights or turns...Just make sure you know your route and your off-ramps (maybe bringing a GPS is a good idea)...

For after the cruise, to see Hollywood, definitely check into Sunseeker Tours. They are based in Long Beach and specialize in those "pick you up at the pier and drop you off at LAX" type tours...

We never really asked the big questions--just assumed you were on Carnival, hence Long Beach, and flying in and out of LAX. There are several airports in the LA area (LAX, Burbank, John Wayne/Orange County, Long Beach and Ontario). Many people visiting Disney use John Wayne and for those visiting Hollywood, Burbank is much more convenient...But most people do use LAX--most choice of flights, airlines, times...and pretty "central"

I am cruising out of Long Beach next month at the end of a business trip. Picking up a car at LAX from Hertz and dropping off across the street from the terminal in Long Beach. No extra charge.

I called the Hertz location in Long Beach and while it appears across the street from the terminal, it is still about a 2 mile walk. I'll think we'll take a taxi to the terminal.

"Across the Street"? Someone lied to you...it's across the harbor channel...in Downtown Long Beach...Ask if Hertz will give you a ride...

Otherwise, another option is to walk a couple of blocks down Ocean Avenue to Ocean and Pine and pick up the free Passport Shuttle bus--That will take you to the pier for free...

http://www.lbtransit.com/schedules/pdf/30.pdf

Edited by Bruin Steve

If you decide to use a rental car, drop everyone and their stuff off at the Carnival facility. Then one person returns the car and comes back to Carnival as Bruin described.

Hertz on Ocean Ave. is only open 9am-1pm Saturdays and closed Sundays. Avis is across the street, and open 8am-2pm both Sat. and Sun.

Both Avis and Hertz offices are "neighborhood" franchises and not the corporate-level type. Therefore you will pay a very steep one-way drop fee and the price will be $100+ Either price out a drop-off at LGB airport instead, or look into Uber or a shuttle van.

Of course, when talking about visiting the Mouse House, cheap goes out the window. Expect to spend a lot of money, not only for admission, but also for any food/drink and souvenirs. Soon my daughter will be heading there for grad night -- already paid the admission/transportation. Hopefully she's saving some of her allowance for expenses that night.