Am I the only one? Is food a deal breaker?

DMH15

That is wonderful for you but if you have mobility issues or other health problems, it may not be that easy. I like to have a bedtime snack and since we eat an early dinner we go to our cabin after dinner and don't go back out. Since they don't appear to care about this, we will not be cruising with them again. We will go with another cruise line that cares about people with disabilities and are not able to go all over the ship any time they want something to eat with out paying $7.95.
I was just answering the question, as to whether the change would affect me cruising with NCL and was not answering for anyone else.

Hopefully, you will find a cruise line that you feel comfortable with and you will enjoy many more cruises to come.

I was just answering the question, as to whether the change would affect me cruising with NCL and was not answering for anyone else.

Hopefully, you will find a cruise line that you feel comfortable with and you will enjoy many more cruises to come.

That wasn't meant to sound sarcastic or unkind in any way. I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

Thank you for your kind remarks.

You may find that that kind of behavior results in eventual age restrictions in the nicer restaurants. (For the doomsday crowd, this is probably FDR's intention all along... bwahaha!)

I honestly don't understand the "those jerks are just trying to make money at our expense!" mindset. Yes, of course they are.

The base cruising price point is lower than it was when I started cruising in the early 90s. We paid as much for a porthole as we now pay for a balcony, and I did a B2B in a suite for not much more than we paid for a balcony when I played my cards right timing-wise.

If people are burned out on the business model of cruising, there are plenty of land-based all inclusives. The view won't change from day to day, and you'll pay extra to face the water, and they don't go anywhere, but they will give you booze and food. They probably won't allow you to take it from the restaurants and eat it by their pool, room service items will start at $15 for a hamburger, and there will be $25/day resort fees on top of their base price, but you won't be getting nickled and dimed by NCL.

My experience with land based all inclusives (only been to ones in Mexico), is that there is no charge for room service, no resort fee, and you can eat where you choose to. Upon check out, there never seem to be any additional charges. You pay to face the water (same as on a ship), and true, the hotel stays in one place. That's why I would choose a cruise over a resort--you get to visit several places. Also, I find the entertainment on a cruise to be better. But, so far as nickel and diming are concerned, the all inclusive resorts I've been to had none, whereas NCL has a number of areas where they do that.

Op here.

Here is MY feelings on the Asian restaurant being complimentary now.

No, I am NOT thanking them for this change.

I was on the Jewel 4/4-11/15 and this change was newly in effect.

The place was a zoo. We were given a beeper and told the wait was approx. 45 minutes. Ok, no biggie.

My niece and I got a seat at the Sushi bar and ordered some ala carte sushi. It was reasonably priced, beautifully presented, a generous portion and very tasty.

When our beeper went off we moved to our table. Obviously, this new change had rattled the staff. It was pretty unorganized. Ok, again, no problem, they were trying.

Here is where I felt they fell short:

1. The menu has changed. No more banana pancakes! The best dish on the menu is GONE! Tears.

2. My niece is a vegan. Not one dish off the menu could be prepared for her with just veggies. No vegetarian options on the menu. Her only option was more veggie sushi.

I has soup and a few appetizers. I was not impressed with any of them as far as taste.

So, for me, I would have preferred it the "old way", pay $15, have a reservation, better menu and the banana pancakes!

BTW, the wait was bad all week. People lined up in the hall. We stopped one night to chat with friends who had been told 45 minite wait. They inquired after an hour only to find out that the beeper system was having problems and theirs, as well as others near them, were skipped in the que system.

That's sad to hear,yet not surprising

This is a deal breaker for me. I love to bring back snacks (not full meals) from the buffet spontaneously - freestyle/my time! Cheese and crackers to have with the wine in the room or a small plate of desserts to enjoy with coffee while relaxing on the balcony. That's one joy NCL has removed from my cruise experience. And no - I do not and will not use room service.

Please RCL and Celebrity DO NOT go this route!

Edited by Judee

lmao - just got off the Pearl and we were told we could not take left overs from the dining room or specialty dining rooms =

however i took deserts, coffee, tea and even chips and fries to my room -

what are they going to do throw you off -

people like to bitch =

heck there feed you like a pig morning noon nite and snacks to boot - these complainers must be 300b heavies :)

Completely unnecessary comment. I was "listening" until you made that stupid comment

The recent changes are not going to change my choosing Norwegian as my vacation of choice. The gratuities went up 95 cents per person per day. After paying for the cruise, the extra $21 (approx. with 3 people for 7 days) is not going to make or break me. The 18% service charge added, great I don't need to bring extra $1's and $5's for tips (I still will). Can't bring food back to my room anymore, doesn't really matter to me, I never did it anyway except for a few times when we got wings to go from Blue Lagoon, or which ever venue was on the ship, to eat on our balcony. I'll just get room service delivered instead. $7.95 charge for room service, thank you for trekking all over the ship with food for me because I didn't feel like leaving my room to go sit in a restaurant. And to me the new menu is worth the surcharge.

Now, I know lots of people are not happy with these changes, but we need to remember that a cruise line is a business, and it is a business to make money. Sorry if we don't like it. But I find it all but impossible to get the same cruise for the price on any other line. Royal is at least $1000 more for the same cruise.

As far as having to pay for room service if you are sick, I tend to believe that if you are confined to your room because you visited the infirmary, they would waive the charge. Otherwise, isn't that extortion?

For those of us that have small children and anticipate a meltdown if the child doesn't get their cookies before dinner, bed, or whatever, bring a few snack packs onboard with you.

Sorry, but I'm on vacation and these things are not going to ruin my vacation unless I let them.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it. I'll put my flame retardant suit on now.

Edited by ncklhaus

The recent changes are not going to change my choosing Norwegian as my vacation of choice. The gratuities went up 95 cents per person per day. After paying for the cruise, the extra $21 (approx. with 3 people for 7 days) is not going to make or break me. The 18% service charge added, great I don't need to bring extra $1's and $5's for tips (I still will). Can't bring food back to my room anymore, doesn't really matter to me, I never did it anyway except for a few times when we got wings to go from Blue Lagoon, or which ever venue was on the ship, to eat on our balcony. I'll just get room service delivered instead. $7.95 charge for room service, thank you for trekking all over the ship with food for me because I didn't feel like leaving my room to go sit in a restaurant. And to me the new menu is worth the surcharge.

Now, I know lots of people are not happy with these changes, but we need to remember that a cruise line is a business, and it is a business to make money. Sorry if we don't like it. But I find it all but impossible to get the same cruise for the price on any other line. Royal is at least $1000 for the same cruise.

As far as having to pay for room service if you are sick, I tend to believe that if you are confined to your room because you visited the infirmary, they would waive the charge. Otherwise, isn't that extortion?

For those of us that have small children and anticipate a meltdown if the child doesn't get their cookies before dinner or whatever, bring a few snack packs onboard with you.

Sorry, but I'm on vacation and these things are not going to ruin my vacation unless I let them.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it. I'll put my flame retardant suit on now.

Thanks for your opinions. I'm like you, I don't let little things ruin my vacation.

I truly think it is sad that someone comes on here and voices their opinion and then thinks that they have to put on a flame retardant suit.

We are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean. We were seriously shopping a cruise on the Breakaway, which would be our first NCL cruise.

We will NOT be booking a trip because of this business of not being able to take food from the buffet back to the room.

It is that important to us.

Early early morning... After a shore excursion... It's handy to be able to swing by the buffet and get a small, QUICKLY PROCURED snack, go back to the room and be alone, undisturbed.

It's not about the money for us--it's about the selection and instant results.

L

Yes, it's a deal breaker for my family. It's not really because of my kids (youngest is 7), but because of me.

I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. I'm in the minority of diabetics, because the majority control their blood sugar through diet and exercise and medications other than insulin. Those of us who take insulin have to be fairly vigilant at making sure our blood sugar stays within the normal range. I've been doing this for more than 30 years, so I've gotten pretty good at it. However, there are times (e.g. when a schedule changes and I'm more active than I normally might be at home), where I might miss the mark on the amount of insulin I need to take. At those times, I can become hypoglyemic, and that can become a medical emergency very quickly if I don't eat something soon.

When I travel, I always bring snacks to have in my hotel room with me. Last year, we took our very first cruise on the Dawn, and we loved it. In addition to the fun of the cruise, one of the side benefits was that I didn't have to pack a ton of snacks. This might seem trivial, but trust me, it isn't. You always need to have a snack with you, just in case, or have ready access to food.

Yes, I understand I'm on a cruise ship and there is food round the clock. However, if I awake at 3 AM and I'm hypoglycemic, I'm not going to want to leave my cabin and find my way to wherever the food is, simply because Norwegian has decided I can't take my snacks back to the cabin with me. During a hypoglycemic episode, a person is not usually thinking as clearly as normal and to me, this possible situation is a needless hassle and potential risk. The easier solution for me and my family is to find another cruise line which allows me the convenience I need, because quite frankly, if I am paying to cruise where there is abundant food, I shouldn't still have to tote my own snacks with me.

Exactly what I was thinking when reading this thread (although I'm not booked on an NCL cruise). There always has to be some food available. People don't realize that when hypoglycemic, people don't have the strength nor stamina to meander around a ship looking for some food at some odd hour during the night or anytime for that matter (nor the ability to wait for 30 minutes for room service @ $7.95 for delivery).

Exactly what I was thinking when reading this thread (although I'm not booked on an NCL cruise). There always has to be some food available. People don't realize that when hypoglycemic, people don't have the strength nor stamina to meander around a ship looking for some food at some odd hour during the night or anytime for that matter (nor the ability to wait for 30 minutes for room service @ $7.95 for delivery).
Have you thought of notifying the medical staff of your condition and possibly they will make a bowl of fruit or crackers or something else available to you in your cabin just in case. I always feel that there is a solution to most issues.

Serious question, please don't take offense.

Do diabetics take steak, eggs, chicken, and fish to sit around in their room in case of a hypoglycemic event? I just got off the the Sky and this policy was in effect. I saw no issue taking fruit and other items that can sit without needing refrigeration. It seems that the items they are really asking you to leave are cooked items that would not be safe to eat hours later. What, exactly, are these foods you want in your room? I'm really curious. Wouldn't a bag of Skittles be the ideal thing....it's easily portable and won't melt or spoil in normal temperatures.

I remember last year when NCL and Carnival restricted smoking off balconies these boards were swamped. Can't smoke on the balcony? The outrage! No more cruising! I wondered then, is cruising not more than that?

And now, it's food. You are ALL entitled to your opinions, your choices and your frustrations. But now it seems to me I see those same parallells as before.

From the sound of it we need to be constantly eating while on a cruise ship. Everywhere. In restaurants, while lounging, in our cabins. Really? Without a dining table I find eating in a cabin kind of unappealing. I cruised with my sister in November and I joked on an earlier thread how she brought her take home desserts back to our fridge where they accumulated. I kept my mouth shut so we wouldn't argue. Likewise she wanted to carry our buffet breakfast back to our balcony. We did it once. Again, I did it to make her happy. Juggling my plate on my lap was not my idea of fun. Neither was carrying back food, juice and coffee. I wonder how many people spill? I did not want to leave messy plates in our cabin or in the hallway so back I went to the buffet. So, it seemed a lot off fuss for that "feeling". I just don't get it.

My mom was sick on the Jewel on our TA so she had sandwiches via room service, but other than that we went to the restaurant except when in a suite. And in my experience the delivery and pick up of dishes and having a dining table make that possible. I would not want to sit on my bed and eat dinner. I guess since I do not do that at home I can't imagine doing it on a ship.

Am I the only one who does not get it? Are the new "rules" about take out and room service really deal breakers for so many? Enough to drive you to another line or away from cruising if other lines follow? Or is this the new topic that will eventually go away?

Or is this just the straw that broke the camel's back... On the heels of so many changes? And have everyone rattled asking "what's next?"

Yes, an absolute deal breaker. I will never sail NCL with this policy. If it's about "Freestyle" this is the exact opposite. Smoking is different, as it affects other people. Me eating a cookie, at midnight in my cabin, affects no one. This policy is a complete joke, completely ridiculous, and only about the money.

Often before heading to my cabin at night, I'll grab a few cookies or some tea and take it down to my room. Before dinner, I may grab a few appetizers and have a glass of wine on the balcony. I don't want to wait for room service, plus they may not have what I want, and I prefer what is on the buffet.

I want freedom to be able to eat where and when I want, not NCL's new version of "Freestyle", within limits. I do not expect to be able to take a Filet Mignon or a Lobster out of a restaurant and take it too my cabin, but I do expect to be able to do the things I said above.

This policy is absurd and I expect after enough complain, it will be changed. If this was about safety or any other BS they are throwing out, it would have changed long ago and every other line would be doing it. Just what we need, the food police on a cruise ship!

So sometimes I want a hamburger and my wife want the buffet, or she wants pizza and I want a hamburger, can we not eat together? What's the difference between carrying your food to a neutral lounge and taking it to your cabin?

There are so many reasons why people take food to their cabins. To my thinking, it is foolish for NCL to take this position on something that seems so minor but can seriously affect all of us on occasion. To say that we can't take a bowl of soup to a sick travelling companion or to a tired child who needs quiet time is ridiculous.

Hopefully NCL will quickly realize the error of this new rule.

Yes, I hope so. As I said in another thread, this is the Keurig business model - and Keurig just took a step back from that brink today by saying they'll be making the My K-cups available again.

Something people forget regarding vacations - if one can afford to travel for that much, you should be able afford the associated costs as well. And if one can't afford those things then one should rethink about their vacation plans, even if its a cruise or a resort.

Excellent point, Maywell. And that's exactly why we're rethinking our future vacation plans.

It amazes me, folks talking about nickel and diming. Hey, maybe it's nickel and diming to you, but to a lot of us it's Christmas presents, a filling at the dentist, or getting a new tire for the car.

I'm out as well (of this discussion). This thread made me realize that cruising NCL would be miserable....... not because of the policies but because of the people that cruise on NCL. They already stated that there is food available 24/7 but apparently that is not good enough. Truly hope that the unhappy people on this thread will sail on some other cruise line -- any other cruise line than NCL!

NCL: Keep making changes that will ultimately make NCL a better cruise line. Do hope that the policy of putting dirty plates with food on the floor outside of the door will stop but truly believe that the new policies that are being put in place will attract new customers that will be less disgruntled than the present ones. It may take some time (as it did with Regent) but hope you persevere:)

Funny part, is that most NCL passengers are not like the complaining posters here - The ones I noticed for the most part were "go with the flow", even when missing a port to rough waves for tendering. The ones here on the forums like to complain til cows come home and will still book with NCL despite the 'massive problems' - which says more about them as people than it says about NCL, the company. I will take their threats of never returning to the cruise line seriously, when I don't see a future NCL booking in their signature - which is pretty much never since some of them have a fall / winter 2015 and/or 2016 trip there....

Funny part, is that most NCL passengers are not like the complaining posters here - The ones I noticed for the most part were "go with the flow", even when missing a port to rough waves for tendering. The ones here on the forums like to complain til cows come home and will still book with NCL despite the 'massive problems' - which says more about them as people than it says about NCL, the company. I will take their threats of never returning to the cruise line seriously, when I don't see a future NCL booking in their signature - which is pretty much never since some of them have a fall / winter 2015 and/or 2016 trip there....

Like :D

I'm still reading this thread (whew! How emotional we all get!) and don't remember if the original NCL announcement had been posted on this thread. I believe I found it on another. This has to do with the institution of the $7.95 surcharge for room service. AS FAR AS I KNOW, this is the last correspondence posted.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

It's in the FAQ's and reads as follows:

" Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service? Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

I noted that it is first of all, only on two ships at present. Secondly, morning coffee and continental breakfast is still no-charge. It's sometimes hard to find those little official tidbits, but here it is. Hopefully that will make some folks feel better. It does make me feel better.

Now the business about not removing food from the buffet... I have not yet found anything official, only CC threads that infer things,and as we know, sometimes things get blown just a little bit out of proportion. If NCL states that they want patrons to enjoy their meals in the restaurants, that implies that they don't want food removed. But it does not constitute a BAN on all food from all venues. As many have said, that would be SO hard to enforce anyway.

If anyone has seen anything official from NCL on this "ban", please post it. Otherwise, this just may be a Shakespeare sonnet... "Much ado about nothing"

Just as a PS - I always found the leaving of dirty plates and such outside in the hallway most distasteful. We have always left the dirty items in our room, and the steward whisked them away.

. . . I don't like reading all the complaints here on Cruise Critic, but now find I am doing the same. Negatives detract from the joys of cruising, something I have experienced the last 36 years. I have seen the industry change, and in my opinion not always for the good. If this negativity for me continues, then I may have to discontinue cruising.

Lack of good communication results in discontent.....And can push people away which is a real shame. Criticizing posters for what they think or what is important to them is sad....but that's the way of the world it seems.

Stupid action on my part? Maybe, but as a consumer I dictate how and where my dollars are spent. Flame me if you must.

Ditto on this.

I, too, spoke with someone at NCL today. Pretty dang high up the totem pole.

This person understands my personal passion for NCL, and has enjoyed repeatedly hearing that the vast majority of my sailings on the line have been near perfection, and was helpful in getting something done about the one I took that sucked (onboard experience only, as the port of call was fantastic). I reminded how superb my most recent one was.

Working in a similar field, I know that change is often tough to take, and on occasion there is a business logic that if you just get all the 'bad' out there at once, the outcry may be shorter lived than if you spread it out over an extended duration.

I also offered two other comments:

1) - I think the new Top Dog is either a former gymnast or contortionist. It might explain how the body flexed enough for a head to get where it ended up.

2) - I will repeatedly break one rule (if it truly becomes a rule), and have zero remorse. If I choose to take a small amount of macadamia nut cookies and a glass of milk back to my cabin balcony for the evening on my balcony, the person policing at the exit door will get a nice smile. Any person following me down the hall will be ignored, and any person knocking on the locked door will be told I fully understand that he/she is only the messenger, and what I think of the message. I'll deliver it in English, then Tagalog, and return to my balcony.

I don't/won't break the rules that truly impact others, and this simply will not.

The response on the other end of the phone was a combination of empathy and honest laughter.

Do diabetics take steak, eggs, chicken, and fish to sit around in their room in case of a hypoglycemic event? I just got off the the Sky and this policy was in effect. I saw no issue taking fruit and other items that can sit without needing refrigeration. It seems that the items they are really asking you to leave are cooked items that would not be safe to eat hours later. What, exactly, are these foods you want in your room? I'm really curious. Wouldn't a bag of Skittles be the ideal thing....it's easily portable and won't melt or spoil in normal temperatures.

Most of the hot things wouldn't help much anyway when you're hypoglycemic--it's carbs I want, which are digested quickly, not protein or fat. So yes, if they still allowed us to take fruit and similar foods from the buffet, that would solve the situation I've described. Skittles, Life Savers would work, too.

aFor me personally, I find it best if I have the carb and then something with a little more staying power so I don't drop again after the temporary boost I've received from the carb. Protein works well with the carb to accomplish this. If I don't use fruit, I'll use something like Graham crackers with peanut butter or a little milk or yogurt after the fruit (at home). Sometimes, at least for me, the hypoglycemia feels like a hunger that isn't going to go away easily, so having something more substantial than just pure sugar helps eliminate that feeling as well.

Serious question, please don't take offense.

No offence taken, and it's refreshing for people to try to "understand" the balance..... The type of food that I personally would need would be probably a banana or two, or an orange and banana....that would get me feeling a bit better...then about 15-30minutes after that I eat a roll/crackers/piece of bread with cheese or some peanut butter.....

But not everyone is the same - it depends on the food and how fast the sugar can hit the bloodstream (orange or juice gets there quicker for me than an apple; bananas are higher glycemic index so work well). Some diabetics require more protein (as it slows down how fast sugar hits the system to avoid hyperglycemia - but I've not had that since diagnosis - always the low sugar from trip excitement, exercising more than usual, etc). Don't think of it much at home as I can go to the fridge or cupboard whenever I please, but something you have to plan for when travelling.

Again - thanks for trying to understand - truly appreciated :-)

Judging from the boards, this issue has definitely touched some nerves and must surely be generating poor word of mouth for Norwegian. For those that say, just don't cruise Norwegian, unfortunately this is not a possibility if the new policy came in after the final payment was made.

I shouldn't have to explain my reasoning, but for us, ordering room service as a late night snack was a little luxury we enjoyed when cruising. Taking food from a restaurant or buffet to have on our balcony, like cheese and crackers or sushi, to have with a glass of wine before dinner, also enjoyable for us.

I will make the best of the upcoming cruise and surely will find a lot to enjoy, but we will spend our cruise dollars elsewhere in the future. I hope Norwegian hears their unhappy customers!

Per the contract, the Captain could decide that, in order to maximize on-board spending, the ship will skip all ports and just sail in circles. Per the contract, NCL can, without notice, begin charging for all dining venues save the buffet. Per the contract, NCL could, without notice, begin charging for all onboard entertainment.

Are you honestly saying you'd be fine discovering such changes when you boarded because "contract"?

Considering my last trip with NCL, they skipped a stop because of weather and tendering along with know history of cruise lines (not just NCL) changing entire itineraries when its bad weather like hurricanes - No, one really doesn't have much of choice when that happens. The day NCL charges exorbitant charges for onboard entertainment like shows- is the day I switch to other cruise lines and add additional money for airfare. But they haven't (yet) and that's the key difference for me because food is not a big deal to me. If I want genuine steakhouse / french / Italian / Brazilian / authentic Chinese / Japanese restaurant experience - its literally right next door or subway ride away; not on a cruise ship for me. :rolleyes: I cruise for port stops, other amenities of the ship / line and relaxation, not for the food on the cruise ship. (It just has to be edible to eat for me - nothing more, nothing less)

Edited by maywell