Balmoral returning early

tom_uk

I was on the previous cruise and though there was an outbreak it had been contained by the time we reached Southampton.

However a potential point to spread an infection is the library. What do people do when confined to their cabins ? - they read books - which are then returned to the library.

There is a container for the returned books so that they can then be disinfected before being put back on the shelves, but several times I saw people opening the container and sifting through the unsanitised books !

I avoid the library because of this - Kindles are wonderful.

Edited by lleynman

This is my first visit to Fred site. I have previously cruised P/O and Celebrity. I was almost ready to push the buttons to book a cruise for March 2016 on Oriana, however some negative reports about the state of this ship and the fact that she seems to be "limping along" have made me reconsider. There is a similar itinerary on Balmoral for March 2016 (Alta and Tromso) and therefore I have started some research on the Fred forum. You all seem very positive about Balmoral and Fred. I would very much appreciate feedback from "Tring" as I understand you recently cruised Oriana for the Eclipse and prefer the Balmoral. This cruise is mainly for the ports rather than the "on board" experience but we do like the entertainment aspect on board.

Thank you all

This is my first visit to Fred site. I have previously cruised P/O and Celebrity. I was almost ready to push the buttons to book a cruise for March 2016 on Oriana, however some negative reports about the state of this ship and the fact that she seems to be "limping along" have made me reconsider. There is a similar itinerary on Balmoral for March 2016 (Alta and Tromso) and therefore I have started some research on the Fred forum. You all seem very positive about Balmoral and Fred. I would very much appreciate feedback from "Tring" as I understand you recently cruised Oriana for the Eclipse and prefer the Balmoral. This cruise is mainly for the ports rather than the "on board" experience but we do like the entertainment aspect on board.

Thank you all

I have done a review of Oriana and hope to do a review of Balmoral in the next few days - that will take about 2-3 days to be screened before publication, but will put my main views here briefly.

Fred will do scenic cruising on the way up and down Norway that's good. I suspect entertainments are similar on both, but previously Fred has left the observation lounge as a quiet place to sit and relax - this seems to be being replaced by quiz and a comedy session later on at night - not to our liking. Fred's staff much politer and better than P&O and food and food venues better, but Fred only offers set sittings with same time and table for whole cruise - Freedom available on P&O. This Balmoral cruise was very bad for reasons you can see on this thread. I must say I have been very irritated with Fred's head office over the last couple of days, but I think that may be on the way to being sorted now. Fred's office staff are normally very good so I hope that too is not a sign of the future. Look at the 'show time' here thread for details of problems with Fred's shows. I am thinking that Fred may be loosing it - shame if they are, especially as their ports are good. We are prepared to give Fred another chance as long as this experience is not repeated.

Oriana and other P&O ships have exeptionally dry air in the cabins in cold climates - this is a major problem for us and with the quality of staff, disorganisation of freedom dining and also the P&O clientelle who are not really our sort of people, we are unlikely to book P&O again. Each to their own though.

Overall we may well migrate to another line altogether - Swan Hellenic for instance, but you will not get the 'Butlins' style of entertainments on there as it is quite a diff style - academic speakers, good conversation with some very interesting passengers etc. Not as expensive as it looks if you go for a cheaper cabin and it is a cruise where you would want trips, which are included in cruise price, as are tips.

Enjoy whatever,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Thank you Barbara for taking the time to reply. I have looked at the "show time" reviews and have to agree with many that if the late show has been cancelled then it would be a deal breaker for us. We also enjoy the freedom dining options, which I know is not available on Fred cruises as we can then have evening meal timed either around port excursions or the entertainment in various venues.

Viv

A sanitation process will only work if the items sanitised are causing the problem.

If it is not Norovirus, or if the infection of Norovirus is not being passed on by touch, then there will be no effect whatsoever from any 'sanitisation process'.

I wrote a review for our Balmoral cruise ending 10th May last weekend, but it has not been published yet - reviews take a few days to be screened, so could appear soon.

We are off on Black Watch to Canada tomorrow, if there is any repeat of the conditions on Balmoral we will not be rolling over to have our tummys tickled!

Edited by tring

This is our first cruise with Fred and it's looking as though it will be our last. If I had realised before we booked that this happens so often on this line I would never have booked in the first place.

This is our first cruise with Fred and it's looking as though it will be our last. If I had realised before we booked that this happens so often on this line I would never have booked in the first place.

It hasn't happened yet. Why let it spoil your holiday before it's begun.

Just call me a pessimist:) It just seems a bit inevitable to me if they haven't managed to get rid of it over the course of three cruises. They are blaming the passengers but I think it's stretching coincidence for all these infected passengers to be boarding this particular ship three cruises in a row.

I have done 7 cruises with Fred. and I have never come in contact with the noro virus and the only ship I haven't been on is the Boudicca.

My opinion is that passengers are the ones that cause the virus, due to bad hygiene, which I have seen first hand, when using the publics loos (which I try not to do) and people not using the hand sanitisers that are placed around the ships.

I don't use the hand rails nor do I use the tips of my fingers to press for a lift, I use my knuckles and I push doors open with my shoulders.

The crew work very hard on all cruise ships to keep everywhere as clean as they can and more so if the ship does get the noro virus, they are cleaning 24 hours a day.

Also, if people don't wish to travel with Fred. then that is their choice but let other people decide for themselves, especially those who are new to the Fred. product.

I think it is out of order telling someone they would be better off using another cruise line on this forum. JMO

Susan

My opinion is that passengers are the ones that cause the virus, due to bad hygiene, which I have seen first hand, when using the publics loos (which I try not to do) and people not using the hand sanitisers that are placed around the ships.

With respect to the Noro outbreaks I wouldn't disagree as it tends to happen around the times of the year when there are significant outbreaks ashore, but in this case I'm not convinced.

It has been said not to be Noro and although samples were apparently taken they have no declared exactly what it is this time.

Blaming passengers for the first outbreak may be reasonable, still blaming them 2 cruises on for the same infection (assuming it is) doesn't seem so likely.

If they are still using the same anti-bacterial hand sanitizers as normal then someone should be fired as they are worthless for a viral infection.

I have no doubt that passengers with poor hygiene are contributing to making this worse, but I'm not so sure that they are the root cause of this particular infection.

i think there is a touch of panic creeping in.

Noro is a just a risk you take when you cruise. 1500 people confined on a ship, means it spreads like wildfire.

So what's the option, all other cruise lines get Noro outbreaks. Just read say P and O, HAL, RCI forums and you will read of outbreaks in the last few months.

We personally take all precautions, only use our own bathroom, don't use lifts, try not to touch handrails, use own pen to sign for drinks, use a Product called Q Shield twice a day on our hands.

Lots of risks cruising, like getting into the tender with a swell, falling in rough seas, getting ill in the middle of the ocean with only basic medical care available, could go on but I hope everybody gets my point.

Happy cruising 😄

i think there is a touch of panic creeping in.

Noro is a just a risk you take when you cruise.

This isn't Noro though according to FO.

Not panicking here either, just getting annoyed.