Wheelchair Assist Tipping

netsurfer

I understand Carnival offers wheelchair assist service to get on to the ship. My husband is not wheelchair bound but will be needing this service to get onboard. What is the appropriate tip for this service? Thanks in advance.

For us the usual is $5. Occasionally we've had really exceptional pushers or exceptionally difficult ramps and have gone as high as $10.

Although my mother has her own wheelchair, it's very nice to get this assistance and truthfully I'm willing to tip whatever it takes to ensure that it's always available.

They told me if I needed one for disembarked just to call on the day before and one will be ready that day

This is a just for you info post, but even if you do call for one the day before debarkation, plan on waiting a long time for it. I say this because we needed one for my dad and before regular passengers were able to have wheelchairs to get off, all the Diamond, Platinum and now FTTF passengers needing them had to be debarked.

I noticed even a lot of Platinum people complaining as there are only a few wheelchairs to be used and depending on how many cruisers need them, it can take quite a while.

how far do they assist you? From the waiting room to the atrium on deck 3 or all the way to your cabin? $5 seems a bit light to me, but if it truly just the gangway from the waiting area to the lobby, I guess that is enough.

They told me if I needed one for disembarked just to call on the day before and one will be ready that day

Just be aware of a potential wait. It's not like making a set time appointment and they wait for just one, it's first come first served kind of thing. In this day and age, more and more people are needing assist.

They did it last week for me on the breeze. I didn't want to bring my wheelchair because

American airline lost it last time. I was just happy I didn't have to wait in the long line. I don't expect it but I do appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am bringing my mom and she has her own wheelchair and we signed up for wheelchair assist for embarkation and debarkation. We are also driving to the port and there are 7 of us traveling together. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this go smoothly? This is the first time traveling with my mom needing a wheelchair. She is not wheelchair bound but needs one for long distance walking. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I am bringing my mom and she has her own wheelchair and we signed up for wheelchair assist for embarkation and debarkation. We are also driving to the port and there are 7 of us traveling together. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this go smoothly? This is the first time traveling with my mom needing a wheelchair. She is not wheelchair bound but needs one for long distance walking. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

My mom has MS and it is the same - long distance walking and such. We always bring her lightweight wheelchair, but it is hard to push up the gangplank.

If I may ask, you say you signed up for wheelchair assist. Where did you do that? I have not seen a place to sign up for that. We can usually do it ourselves, but my parents are terrible about carrying on everything and the kitchen sink and that makes it hard to have a dedicated pusher without my DH and I carry a ton of stuff!

Thanks!

U can call for wheelchair sign up or I just woppled over to them with my cane and they helped me

LOL - I love this! Maybe we can run them over with Mom's wheelchair. She sure has done it to me enough times. Seriously, we already will be bringing her wheelchair so I did not know if we could note that we would like assistance or just ask when we check in.

My mom has MS and it is the same - long distance walking and such. We always bring her lightweight wheelchair, but it is hard to push up the gangplank.

If I may ask, you say you signed up for wheelchair assist. Where did you do that? I have not seen a place to sign up for that. We can usually do it ourselves, but my parents are terrible about carrying on everything and the kitchen sink and that makes it hard to have a dedicated pusher without my DH and I carry a ton of stuff!

Thanks!

You can apply for wheelchair assist on line when you are setting up the online check in. They email you a form to fill out and then you fax or email it back to them. I believe you can also call Carnival and they will put it in the system for you and email you the form.:)

I think it also depends on the ship & port.

Before his own scooter day's on the Sensation Mr. (big guy) Larry gave him $20.00 from Parking lot to cabin, & I couldn't say Thank You enough as that was to be my job. :)

Char

U can call for wheelchair sign up or I just woppled over to them with my cane and they helped me

Yes they are great ..as soon as they see you need assistance they take you (or push you) to a separate check in /waiting area (Miami) and when boarding begins crew members from the ship arrive to assist you with boarding.

Edited by Daddyfto

Every time I cruise they push me all the way to my cabin where my

scooter I rent from Special Needs At Sea is waiting for me. I tip the

guy $10.00 and it it well worth it. When I sailed on the Dream out of

port Canaveral we had a van service pick us up at the hotel and take

us to the port. My daughter went into the port and when she returned

to the parking lot someone from carnival had a wheelchair and picked

me up in the parking lot where you drop off luggage and stayed with me

until they pushed me to my cabin on deck six room 6356. I gave him

$15.00 and it was worth every penny. In Baltimore there is at least

four ramps before you even get into the ship. I do not mind paying

for a job well done. HAPPY SAILING!!!