Luggage from Scotland to Southampton

Birky

We have flown down once from Edinburgh and since that trip we decided that it's better for us (me) that if we drive down we (I) can take unlimited luggage. Yes it does mean leaving at 5am but it's still better than worrying about the weight of the bags.

I have seen and heard about lots of people who get buses from the cruise companies, a normal bus or the train too but we aren't keen on that.

Hi, I was wondering how folks living in Scotland managed with luggage when cruising from Southampton.

I am guessing you mean if you fly from Scotland??

We are cruising from Southampton and it is our first time departing from a UK port. We have decided to drive. I absolutely HATE the fiasco which surrounds flying at the moment...

If you are flying then you obviously just have to make sure you follow all the flying rules!! If your cruise is longer than a week, I think you might struggle for clothes -- unless you book hold baggage and not just cabin bags.

We take the Caledonian sleeper train to London and then, depending on the time of year (tourist season), either a train or private transport to Southampton. We always book the same company for private transport and they keep in touch by phone as the sleeper approaches Euston. It works very well for us and we book the trains around 3 months in advance for best prices, depending on the ship's sailing time- also saving the cost of a hotel.

Edited by gaelsail

I've looked at the sleeper option but the prices for us were astronomical. We are 3 months out now so I'll try again. Do you have any tips for the best way to get a good deal??!

I've looked at the sleeper option but the prices for us were astronomical. We are 3 months out now so I'll try again. Do you have any tips for the best way to get a good deal??!

I find the sleeper prices are more economical than flying or day-train when I calculate in the luggage allowances, hotel nights & meals. They've been taken over by a new company and I've only just bought our first set of tickets since. Looking online, perhaps coincidence? prices seemed to go up as berths were sold on the dates we wanted, and are available for several months ahead. After looking online I buy at the local station. The tickets can also be cancelled or changed for a small fee- if there are any changes in the ships' schedules.

I find the sleeper prices are more economical than flying or day-train when I calculate in the luggage allowances, hotel nights & meals. They've been taken over by a new company and I've only just bought our first set of tickets since. Looking online, perhaps coincidence? prices seemed to go up as berths were sold on the dates we wanted, and are available for several months ahead. After looking online I buy at the local station. The tickets can also be cancelled or changed for a small fee- if there are any changes in the ships' schedules.

Thanks - will try this :)