Will I be too busy in Juneau?

Naturally the hardest thing to do when planning my next cruise is figuring out if I have enough time to do what I want to do without feeling rushed in ports. For Ketchikan, this was not a problem because I only want to visit one building, the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, and take a Misty Fjords cruise. But a glacier and salmon hatchery in Juneau have me concerned because we do not arrive in port until 1:00, which barely gives us 6 hours off the ship.

First of all, what time can I reasonably expect to walk off the ship after it docks in Juneau? Would I be lucky to get in a cab by 1:30? (My ship is the Volendam.)

Second, how much time should I allow for the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery? I am going to take the tour and see the aquarium and buy souvenirs at the gift shop.

Also, is 4 hours enough time to walk on 3 short trails and see the visitor center, which I plan to spend at least an hour at? Should I plan on walking just 2 trails?

Naturally the hardest thing to do when planning my next cruise is figuring out if I have enough time to do what I want to do without feeling rushed in ports. For Ketchikan, this was not a problem because I only want to visit one building, the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, and take a Misty Fjords cruise. But a glacier and salmon hatchery in Juneau have me concerned because we do not arrive in port until 1:00, which barely gives us 6 hours off the ship.

First of all, what time can I reasonably expect to walk off the ship after it docks in Juneau? Would I be lucky to get in a cab by 1:30? (My ship is the Volendam.)

Second, how much time should I allow for the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery? I am going to take the tour and see the aquarium and buy souvenirs at the gift shop.

Also, is 4 hours enough time to walk on 3 short trails and see the visitor center, which I plan to spend at least an hour at? Should I plan on walking just 2 trails?

Photo Point, Moraine Ecology, and Steep Creek. Because of physical limitations, I have to stay away from moderate and difficult trails. What is easy for one person is sometimes nearly impossible for me. It looks like those are the only three I know I can do without holding my mom's hand.

Edited by CruisingSince2012

• 8 months later...

Hello All,

I see one of my website photos was linked to above. Thought I'd share the full article in case it's useful for anyone. On this particular trip I was not on a cruise ship, so the circumstances may be a little different but I think there's still lots of useful info.

http://seatravelzombie.com/visiting-mendenhall-while-on-layover-at-juneau-airport/

Thanks,

Erik