Just got back from Montego Bay

BrotherCraig

We plan on doing the hop on hop off shuttle. It goes to hip strip & Dr Caves beach & I think rose hall area. Use it all you want for the day.

A Carnival rep was signing people up for the shuttle, so we trusted it was OK. They had maps and said it goes to beach, hip strip, Margaritaville first and then to Rose Hall for shopping. Turned out they took us to Rose Hall and made everyone get off. We had to wait quite a while for the next bus to return to town. Took an hour and a half to get to the beach. Never again.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Jamaica last week. We took the HOHO shuttle. There are signs and carnival ppl for this. You use your sail & sign card. You get somewhat of a tour on the way to rose hall, 1st stop. Everyone thought they had to get off, but we said we wanted to go to dr caves. He said ok & took us. We planned to ride shuttle multiple times, but time is so short, we only took it there & back. Last shuttle was at 4, had to be back on ship by 530. If I had to do it all over again, I would just take a taxi. The driver was entertaining though. I believe it was $19 for adults & $8 for kids.

Need info on the hop on hop off buses to please. We will be there in Sept as well and would like to go to Doctor Cave. Thanks!!

We got back from the Magic on June 21st. It is kind of chaotic at the port and they kind of hoard you towards the JUTA buses. They load the buses full and then start to give you a tour. They offer to take you around for a while or will just drop you off at Dr's cave beach. Just to Dr's Cave I think was $5.00/ea and the tour was an extra $10 (I think), and they would drop you off at Dr's Cave for a little beach time afterwards. We went straight to the beach for a while, then walked to Maragaritaville, and then caught a taxi back for $4/ea. Not bad, but with chairs and umbrellas, beers at the beach, and transport, it adds up.

• 1 month later...

We spent our honeymoon in Montego Bay in October 1977. We stayed in the mountains at a place called Sign Great House which had about 12-15 nice cottages and the great house. My understanding is it has closed down but is still there as something else. For those who have been to MoBay recently would you trust a local cabbie to...find the former Sign Great House and to provide safe passage?

• 1 month later...
We are thinking about hiring "know Jamaica" when we dock in Falmouth in Dec. Would you mind telling me about your tour? Where you went, what you saw, what you did?

Thank you

Denise

Denise,

I had Javia who is Marva's son. It wasn't a fixed tour. I could do anything and everything I wanted to do. I already had things that I wanted to do lined up and he also took me to some places on his own. It very flexible. The highlights are in the video above. I went to:

Columbus Park

Dunn River Falls

The Blue Hole

Scotchies

Downtown Ocho Rios

Next time there from Falmouth I would do Calypso Rafting and maybe Mystic Mountain. From Montego Bay I would consider doing Rick's in Negril and other stuff.

So I recommend you just go to Trip Advisor (and the forum here) and read about things that interest you and then build your own custom "tour". :)

• 2 months later...

Docking in Falmouth and we are considering taking this shuttle from the port to Doctor's Cave beach:

http://www.jaital.com/falmouth-jamaica/jaital-falmouth-transport-tour_Xr3c_5996.html

It's $20 RT per person, and they seem to get good reviews. Pick up time is 30 min after ship docks and you stay at the beach about 4 hours.

So once we get to the beach, $6 to get in, $5 for a chair, maybe buy lunch....anything else that's extra? Is the beach/water pretty? What about locals trying to push "goods" (and by goods, I mean the kind you smoke)? My husband has a low tolerance for sales people :D

We were there last week. Get there early as by the time we got there they had sold out of umbrellas and only had chairs, not loungers, left. That being said, once we were there, we saw them bringing more out so not sure what that was all about. I would plan to get there as early as possible.

There weren't any vendors on the beach, but they were in the water. the young adults in our group were offered to buy marijuana but they didn't ask us!

The beach was nice and there were servers from the restaurant that were there offering food and drink. A bucket of 6 Red Strip was $30! I was in Jamaica a few years ago and everyone was selling them for $1 each. Our entire group felt they had really jacked up the prices in Montego Bay for the cruise passengers!