Is it really the ocean or just me?

Nadersmom

Speaking of the Elation, when did you go? We were on it in early December of 2012 out of New Orleans.

We were on it in the beginning of November. Weather in New Orleans was perfect. Cool at night but 60's during the day. Other than one day of rough water (which again, at that time didn't seem to bother me much though it did a few of my co cruisers.)

In 2013 we went in September. Weather in New Orleans was VERY different. We are used to 90+ weather in the summer here in Midwest. and even a pretty fair amount of humidity. But New Orleans in the beginning of September was a shock to the system. Who knew you could feel 100% humidity without a drop of rain. You walked outside and it was like someone took a heavy wool blanket, like those old army blankets, and drenched it with water and then hung it over top of you and made you stand in the sun. It was unlike anything I'd felt before. I would say lesson learned, but here we are, looking at cruises out of New Orleans in July or August before the kids have to go back to school. Will I never learn? :o:rolleyes:

I am prone to motion sickness also. I tried the patch years ago and I got the dizzy reaction on the second day. I took off the patch immediately but it took two or three more days for my vision to resettle. I was not on a cruise then.

I take Dramamine if flying in the back of a plane. So far, I have not needed meds on a cruise, but I always book a central and fairly low balcony. (Fresh air helps, too.)

It's hard to predict months in advance whether you'll encounter rough seas or not. We sailed in the Caribbean last August while a hurricane was a few hundred miles away. The captain had to change our itinerary, skipping out on the private island in the Bahamas. Our other stops were San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. It was one of the smoothest cruises I've ever been on.

That was what happened to me on my first cruise. The Nassau port was closed. We had a rough night when I had to hold onto the hallway rails on my way back to the cabin. Walking around the buffet was difficult too. I heard my ship was at the edge of Hurricane Sandy - not really in it, but very close.

I think sometimes the captain turns the stabilizers off and that results in more motion of the ocean. I take bonine nightly while cruising. If the motion starts to get to me I find a spot midship and on a lower deck where the movement is less.