worth it???

Just a note of correction: They will not get the increased points. When you upsell, you are given the points level from your original booking.

This was not the case when I upgraded myself a couple years ago -- 30 days out from a BA to SF, received double points. May have been a mistake; I didn't question it.

This was not the case when I upgraded myself a couple years ago -- 30 days out from a BA to SF, received double points. May have been a mistake; I didn't question it.

Upgrading yourself and being upsold are not handled the same way. The OP should not rely on the double points as a selling feature, as I genuinely believe they will get the points from their original booking.

Swedish weave the return you get is so much less than the return I get in my suite. You can tap away at that calculator all you want, it will always compute 2red4u + suite = perfection. I have no idea what it would compute for you, but obviously not a suite.

Just a note of correction: They will not get the increased points. When you upsell, you are given the points level from your original booking.

Untrue. I have had two suite up sells and both were awarded the extra points.

Well, I have had two also and neither came with extra points. So, my caution is sound - do not rely on the extra points as a deciding factor.

It wasn't "caution" that you issued. Your statement was quite definitive.

God, we can bicker about anything at all on this forum... :cool:

Swedish weave the return you get is so much less than the return I get in my suite. You can tap away at that calculator all you want, it will always compute 2red4u + suite = perfection. I have no idea what it would compute for you, but obviously not a suite.

You are convinced that seven days are worth more than 21 or 28 days, and nothing I say will change your mind once you have been sold on the idea that the value is there.

The bells and whistles that are connected to the suites will cause you to pay triple or quadruple the price, but the benefits I receive are many more days at sea, many more meals, many more shows, many more times to visit the ports. ETC But why am I wasting my time telling you this when your mind is made up. It is better to be informed than opinionated in most cases.

I guess he's just looking at the price tag of it all - For the same price I'm paying for 3 b2b 7 day trips (21 days in total) in a studio room next year, I could had gotten a balcony for just 1 week on the Escape for the same time period. If it was Haven room, that's like 5-7 trips for me instead of one week in there.

It really is matter of different strokes for different folks - spend on the cabin that makes you the happiest. For me, its a studio / interior - the ship is my playground / living-room / dining-room that relax in along with having fun and my cabin is the place I sleep, take a shower plus I turn on the TV for some light in the room (That's what I did when I was kid and too lazy to hit the light switch. *shrug*)

Edited by maywell

Nope I cruise the way I want to, I could care less how u want to cruise or how often. We don't just cruise for a vacation and have absolutely no desire to spend 5 weeks cruising when there is so many other things to do. Now that is what I call being informed.

You are convinced that seven days are worth more than 21 or 28 days, and nothing I say will change your mind once you have been sold on the idea that the value is there.

The bells and whistles that are connected to the suites will cause you to pay triple or quadruple the price, but the benefits I receive are many more days at sea, many more meals, many more shows, many more times to visit the ports. ETC But why am I wasting my time telling you this when your mind is made up. It is better to be informed than opinionated in most cases.

By your logic, a Cheap Yugo is better than a Ford, BMW, or Ferrari.

Your logic may work well for you, but it's flawed for me. My logic works well for me, but not for you. Being informed is actually realizing there are people on here from all walks of life and demographics. Do what you wish, but spare us your need to try to convert everyone to your way of thinking. The OP was asking about if they should upgrade and what they would get if they did it.

Your logic works great for you, but does not necessarily apply to others. That doesn't make you right and everyone else wrong, or vice versa. It's simply preference. There are many people who will not sail in the lowest fare cabins... and that fact is reflected in how most ships are being built today... On the newest Norwegian ships, inside cabins are disappearing while it seems that the largest number of cabins are balcony cabins. It would seem that more people are willing to pay a little more to have a better cabin experience.

Other people do not have the as much vacation time available to them, so why not opt for a better overall experience for the one time they get to go?

It's easy to gloss over the perks when they are part of a list, but here's a little expanded conversation on them:

Breakfast and Lunch at Cagney's: The menu for breakfast (especially) and lunch in Cagney's is superb, and the service is the best and most relaxed. You are greeted every morning and afternoon by name and treated like royalty. Great way to start the day for breakfast, and although we didn't always do lunch there, it was delicious as well.

Cagney's was lovely but I'm pretty sure I wasn't ever greeted by name. Which is just fine with me, but hopefully doesn't disappoint anyone. Kind of like how hit or miss the butlers are with special snack requests.

Other people do not have the as much vacation time available to them, so why not opt for a better overall experience for the one time they get to go?

That's a very common situation. And ours. We can only take the time once every two or three years regardless of the cost, so cutting back won't equal an extra cruise.

Cagney's was lovely but I'm pretty sure I wasn't ever greeted by name. Which is just fine with me, but hopefully doesn't disappoint anyone. Kind of like how hit or miss the butlers are with special snack requests.

That's a very common situation. And ours. We can only take the time once every two or three years regardless of the cost, so cutting back won't equal an extra cruise.

Aboard the Gem (last time we were in a suite) We were a group of 4 in a Two Bedroom suite and the staff did greet us by name after the first day or so... It could be relative to our style of engaging the staff as we tend to be somewhat outgoing, but they did get to know us by name. We apparently developed the nickname "The Happy Family" among the crew as we were often seen having a great time. We are still in contact with the Cagney's hostess (since promoted) and our favorite waiter from Cagney's for breakfast.

This is MY way of thinking as well :D

And the exact reason there are so many types of cabins available. There is something for everyone.

I think the reason this thread got off track is that Swedish Weave tried to convince others that they were fools for wanting a different experience.

And I believe I am getting more value for my dollar than those who book suites.

I didn't call anyone a fool. Those are your words and thoughts. If my different opinion made you think that way, it is not my problem.

Okay, you're getting more value for YOUR money - the same doesn't apply to other people that want to spend thousands for one week. If they want to waste cash like that, a cruise line (not just NCL) will happy take it - just as cruise line have low fare accommodations with amenities for passengers that don't want spend thousands as well. To each their own.*shrug*

I didn't call anyone a fool. Those are your words and thoughts. If my different opinion made you think that way, it is not my problem.

I totally get where you're coming from. But the discussion really isn't booking suites versus booking steerage. It's about UPSELLING from steerage to a suite.

I agree with you that at the full rate that NCL wishes to charge for their suites, they are OVERPRICED. And it's not just me that thinks that -- just 13 days before our 4/19/15 cruise on Breakaway they still had 14 (of 20) H4 2-bedroom Family Villas and 7 (of 18) H5 Haven Penthouse cabins unsold. That's over half of the cabins "in" the Haven on BA. (The forward and aft-facing PHs were pretty much all gone by this point, they would seem to be more desirable, at least on this sailing.)

They were only able to fill these expensive cabins through upsell emails like the OP got. It makes me wonder how profitable the Haven (and other suites) really are if many passengers sailing in them have paid roughly HALF (or less!) the advertised rate. In our case we were into NCL for $2489 for our B1 Large aft balcony, and got an upsell to H3 Owners Siuite for $750 pp more. In effect we got the second nicest cabin on the ship for just under $4000 -- when NCL wanted to sell it (admittedly along with UDP, $300 OBC, and $210 DSC -- we had UBP from our initial booking) for a newcomer at $4299 pp plus taxes, or $8870.

So we got that nice cabin for less than half of what NCL wanted from a new booking (plus 3 bottles of booze to take home). That's the apples and oranges that OP was wondering about, NOT whether booking suites at the "going rate" makes sense. My guess is very few people find booking suites at NCL's stated prices worthwhile. As much as I enjoyed our Haven experience and the lovely Owners Suite, I would never pay the full price for it!

I was paraphrasing. I don't think anyone on this forum believes themselves to be a fool.

Cruise your way, it works for you. I gain nothing by paying less, I'm more limited by time. People will pay for their own perceived value, mine is a bare minimum of having a balcony.

Another advantage of the suite is that it allows we to lower the value of my kids inheritance. Why shouldn't I blow it rather than leave it to them?

LMAO....

My parents take the whole family on a yearly vacation, to get everyone together. We are always very appreciative and they always respond with "We're just spending some of your inheritance on you while we're still here". We always encourage them to spend their money on themselves, they are the ones who made it....but we sure do enjoy getting together with everyone on those vacations.

Another advantage of the suite is that it allows we to lower the value of my kids inheritance. Why shouldn't I blow it rather than leave it to them?

Mom/Dad, is that you?!

My parents have those same thoughts about blowing it all, although they have never been in a suite yet.

I sail in a little over 2 weeks to Alaska and it will be the first time staying in a suite. I'm looking forward to it because of all the perks mentioned in this post already.

OP, I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Nothing like the suite life - love the pampering. That being said I would not get the SE because of the very heavy bulk head door. I'm of a certain age and find it very difficult to open it up and I like to sleep with the door open a bit to get some air in the cabin - I can't do that in an SE. Once it's open you need to hook it to the side to keep it from slamming shut. No simple slider in the SE. When going full speed down to the islands I couldn't open it at all with the wind pressing against it.

Now - if it was an upsell to an SF, I'd jump on it but I know a lot of people love the forward suites.