Carnival's Big-Ticket Amber Cove Cruise Port Near Completion

Although the opening of Amber Cove is exciting, I fear that it will be another Mahogany Bay/Half Moon Cay/Grand Turk where many just get off the ship, head to the closest chain bar and NEVER find out what these countries are truly like.

Agree, agree, agree. I cruise to travel to new places! Ports like Tortola are my favorite. At least you can still experience Roatan despite Mahogany Bay being there.

I think Amber Cove is just going to be another docking area for cruise ships, with shops and cookie cutter chain bars, but there is no reason why anyone has to limit themselves to the imediate port area. There will be tours available both through the cruise line and independant local tour operators. I do think it is good new island destination though. Something different. I am looking forward to it.

I personally CANNOT WAIT to visit Amber Cove on a cruise! Puerto Plata holds a very special place in my heart. I love everything about the DR, but really fell in love with the people and atmosphere there on our land vacations. My goal in life is to retire in puerto plata and open a tiny little beach bar ;) it's amazing!

I respectfully disagree. I have read a lot of positive feedback from those who do some research and explore beyond the immediate port area.

We were docked in La Romana for 2 nights after a last minute change due to political unrest at another port in our itinerary. What we first thought would be a disaster turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We went horseback riding at Casa de Campo, visited Altos de Chavon, took a day trip to Isla Saona, explored downtown La Romana where we ate and shopped, not at fancy markets, but at locally owned tiendas tucked along the various streets, and had a chance to meet and mingle with the locals. Others headed to Santo Domingo to explore on their own and came back with awesome memories from their visit to the Ciudad Colonial and the Faro a Colon.

What we found was a wonderful destination, far from the Margaritaville's and Senor Frog's that the cruise lines have conditioned us to envision when we think of the Caribbean.

Is La Romana for everybody? Absolutely not, at least not for those who get spooked if they don't see familiar Americanized chain restaurants or shops in pretty welcome centers as soon as they walk off the ship. But for those who do enjoy immersing themselves in what the Caribbean is truly about and how its people truly live, It is a fantastic place. In a nutshell, La Romana is for travelers, not for tourists.

Although the opening of Amber Cove is exciting, I fear that it will be another Mahogany Bay/Half Moon Cay/Grand Turk where many just get off the ship, head to the closest chain bar and NEVER find out what these countries are truly like.

We are visiting La Romana in a couple of weeks. We have 2 kids and are certainly more your "travelers than tourists". We have booked methods of transport on all ports so that we can go independently exploring. However this is the one port everyone is warning us to stay close. That it can be dangerous. Do you disagree with this observation? I seem to think it is often people's unrest with those that live differently. I have found in the past if you mingle with them and take part in the things they enjoy they quickly become another friend. I can be a little naive sometimes though 😜 Just don't want to be too naive now with my kids in tow. Thanks!

If people want to stay in the port areas, that's fine. Not everyone is adventurous or interested in more than shopping or beach time - even if the beach is manmade. lol. What's great about Amber Cove is that it's new and will replace Nassau on some itineraries. Honestly I don't hate on Nassau or Freeport as some others do, but I am truly tired of going to both.

I respectfully disagree. I have read a lot of positive feedback from those who do some research and explore beyond the immediate port area.

We were docked in La Romana for 2 nights after a last minute change due to political unrest at another port in our itinerary. What we first thought would be a disaster turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We went horseback riding at Casa de Campo, visited Altos de Chavon, took a day trip to Isla Saona, explored downtown La Romana where we ate and shopped, not at fancy markets, but at locally owned tiendas tucked along the various streets, and had a chance to meet and mingle with the locals. Others headed to Santo Domingo to explore on their own and came back with awesome memories from their visit to the Ciudad Colonial and the Faro a Colon.

What we found was a wonderful destination, far from the Margaritaville's and Senor Frog's that the cruise lines have conditioned us to envision when we think of the Caribbean.

Is La Romana for everybody? Absolutely not, at least not for those who get spooked if they don't see familiar Americanized chain restaurants or shops in pretty welcome centers as soon as they walk off the ship. But for those who do enjoy immersing themselves in what the Caribbean is truly about and how its people truly live, It is a fantastic place. In a nutshell, La Romana is for travelers, not for tourists.

Tapi,

Thanks for so eloquently expressing yourself about La Romana. I agree with you 100%, and I'm glad you enjoyed your time in my home land. :)

I'm really looking forward to visiting on the Breeze in September and exploring Isla Saona.

Edited by fofita01

However this is the one port everyone is warning us to stay close. That it can be dangerous. Do you disagree with this observation? I seem to think it is often people's unrest with those that live differently. I have found in the past if you mingle with them and take part in the things they enjoy they quickly become another friend. I can be a little naive sometimes though [emoji12] Just don't want to be too naive now with my kids in tow. Thanks!

I completely understand, having kids of my own and not wanting to expose them to unnecessary dangers.

My opinion, whether in La Romana or any port of call, is that you shouldn't leave common sense at home because you're on vacation. No matter where you go, even at Disney World, you need to have your guard up and be cognizant of your surroundings.

When you disembark in La Romana, you are not greeted by a pretty Welcome Center. The only thing between you and downtown is a chain link fence. Initially it's not pretty and I can see how some people may feel uncomfortable and unsafe. As you go past that fence, you're immediately faced with reality, and not some made up, cruise line-built destination. Small children approached us right away begging for money. Many adults tried to get our attention in order to get our business. For a moment it felt a bit chaotic and we did have a moment of "what have we gotten ourselves into". But the moment passed as we acclimated to where we were. Although it was initially uncomfortable, it didn't feel unsafe, and the mini mob quickly moved on to the next passengers behind us. After that, we were pretty much left alone to explore without being disturbed.

We walked the streets, always making sure that we were not wandering off into places where we could be a target (once again, use common sense), and things were fine. Dominicans are, by nature, very hospitable and friendly, and many tried to help us, give us directions, and recommend where to go, not expecting anything in return.

I've traveled to the Dominican Republic several times in various capacities (by cruise, by air, for business, for leisurely, and even on a mission trip). No matter how or why I've traveled there, that hospitality and friendliness have always been constant.

As mentioned before, don't leave common sense at home. You can never be too safe, even in the safest, most touristy places. We traversed La Romana for three days without incident, but my mother was mugged and attacked in broad daylight across the street from super-touristy Bayside Marketplace in Miami. You just never know.

Tapi,

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in my home land.

Fofita, not only is your homeland a beautiful country, the people are genuinely some of the friendliest, happiest, nicest, and most hospitable individuals I've ever encountered in all of my travels.

We are booked on the Fantasy in October and will be the 2nd ship to port at Amber Cove. When we booked this cruise our rate was $440. Last week the ship sold out and those rooms we booked were selling at $839. I guess a lot of folks are as anxious as we are to check out the new destination.

Misslucy01

• 2 months later...
interesting article, thanks for posting...

though the first line, 'For a company that prefers not to be in cruise port development, Carnival Corp. is sure spending a lot to build the Amber Cove project in the Dominican Republic's Puerto Plata region.', kinda had me scratching my head - where have they been? half moon cay, grand turk, mahogany bay, among others, etc. - carnival seems to love cruise port development recently...

those 'waterfront' cabanas look really cool - reminds me of developments in tahiti:

source.png

You are correct, a great deal of money is being spent, and Carnival is sending their own line, as well as their new FATHOM line to Amber Cove, beginning in October, 2015. I have added a couple links below, I hope you find informative.

TAKE A CRUISE TO PUERTO PLATA: HERE'S HOW

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-ei

VOLUNTEERISM WITH A TWIST: FATHOM™ IMPACT TRAVEL COMES TO PUERTO PLATA

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-CY

CRUISE SHIP VISITORS

http://wp.me/P5zQ06-Je

TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN PUERTO PLATA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-GE

We are booked on the Fantasy in October and will be the 2nd ship to port at Amber Cove. When we booked this cruise our rate was $440. Last week the ship sold out and those rooms we booked were selling at $839. I guess a lot of folks are as anxious as we are to check out the new destination.

Misslucy01

Hi MissLucy! We are seeking to interview a passenger(s) on the first couple ships to Amber Cove for http://www.InsidePuertoPlata.com, and if you are interested, we would love to speak with you. In the meantime, please feel free to check out the following links, which may be very helpful. We look forward to hearing from you.

You are correct, a great deal of money is being spent, and Carnival is sending their own line, as well as their new FATHOM line to Amber Cove, beginning in October, 2015. I have added a couple links below, I hope you find informative.

CRUISE SHIP VISITORS

http://wp.me/P5zQ06-Je

TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN PUERTO PLATA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-GE