Cinque Terre from Genoa or Livorno?

jetsetter1001

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I are planning on taking the Emerald Princess on July 4th-11th. We are planning to visit Cinque Terre but not sure if it is easier to get to from Genoa or Livorno? Are there any must see sites in or near Genoa? I'm leaning towards going to Pisa from Livorno and heading to CT from Genoa. Any insights?

Also, we will be docking in Salerno, I'm wondering if we have time to do Pompeii and head to Naples for pizza, head back to Salerno to stroll around all in the same day?

Thanks in advance and any insights are welcome!

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I are planning on taking the Emerald Princess on July 4th-11th. We are planning to visit Cinque Terre but not sure if it is easier to get to from Genoa or Livorno? Are there any must see sites in or near Genoa? I'm leaning towards going to Pisa from Livorno and heading to CT from Genoa. Any insights?

Also, we will be docking in Salerno, I'm wondering if we have time to do Pompeii and head to Naples for pizza, head back to Salerno to stroll around all in the same day?

Thanks in advance and any insights are welcome!

How long do you have in Genoa and Livorno? I personally don't rate Pisa, especially for a full day. Whenever friends visit Italy I tell them to go to Pisa, see the tower and move on.

Guess it also depends on your options and priorities from the two ports. From Livorno to Riomaggiore (the closest Cinque Terre Village) takes about 1:20 min via driving. From Genoa to Monterosso al Mare (closest Cinque Terre Village) takes about 1:40. We have done it both ways while on long driving trips and also driven between Livorno and Riomaggiore a couple to times during port days.

The other issue is how you are going to get to Cinque Terre. For cruisers we recommend either some kind of private tour or rental car. Personally, we prefer to freedom of having our own car, but not everyone feels comfy driving in Europe and the best rental car deals only go to those who can handle a manual transmission. In fact, in Italy it can sometimes be impossible to even find an automatic.

Hank

From what I've been reading on the forum, I think we will rent a car from Livorno and head to CT. On the way back, stop by tower of Pisa and take some pics. Luckily my hubby drives manual. lol.

In Genoa perhaps we will head to Portofino? Looking at the pictures it looks similar to CT villages. Should we just take it easy and chill in Genoa then?

Thanks for everyone's input! Really appreciate it!

From what I've been reading on the forum, I think we will rent a car from Livorno and head to CT. On the way back, stop by tower of Pisa and take some pics. Luckily my hubby drives manual. lol.

In Genoa perhaps we will head to Portofino? Looking at the pictures it looks similar to CT villages. Should we just take it easy and chill in Genoa then?

You could do Portofino. It is not difficult to do. Otherwise, what interests you? There could be things you can do in the city itself as well.

You do need to be careful when driving to the Leaning Tower/Field of Miracles. Much of the area right off the main road is a "ZTL" which is an Italian limited driving zone. This means that if you accidentally or purposely drive into the ZTL a camera takes a picture of your license plate and a few months later you will find a nasty fine (about 100 Euros) plus and admin fee (from your rental car company) added to your credit card. ZTLs are marked with small signs but its easy to miss if you are not paying close attention. You can also find the ZTL maps online and they do exist in many major Italian cities.

Hank