how to get from Rome Cruise port to spanish steps?

mominhouston

I need recommendations on getting from Rome cruise ship terminal to our hotel near Spanish steps. We will be traveling with carry luggage only so not opposed to taking the train if someone can give specifics. Looked into car but it seems expensive at 110-130 EU. Open to other recommendations and curious how long it typically takes from Port to Spanish Steps on a Monday morning.

There is a metro stop nearby the Spanish Steps called Spagna. So, assuming it works the way it did when we did this recently, you will take a free shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. From there, you walk about 15 minutes to the train station and buy a ticket to Rome. There are regional trains (more frequent stops, about an hour) and an intercity train -- 40 minutes or so and fewer stops. You can also reserve seats on the inter city train and book in advance. The regional train, especially on work days, can get crowded and some people stand for part of the way or you might not find seats together. The regional train one way is just a few euros, the inter city is more. I think there are passes (called BIRG) if you will be doing more travel later that day that include the regional train and also the metro once you arrive in Rome, so you don't have to separately buy a metro ticket once you get to Rome. Anyway, you get off the train at the central rome station (Termini) and walk to the metro, then go three stops on the red line toward Batitstini to Spagna.

110 to 130 euro on a Monday morning for a cab sounds a little low to me, but I've never actually done it.

The above all assumes your port is Civitivecchia.

The BIRG ticket only makes sense if you're going back to Civitavecchia. If your trip ends in Rome just purchase a regular ticket; if you'd be using mass transit in Rome a lot (five or more uses in one 24-hour period) you could purchase the Roma24H ticket for €7. Otherwise individual uses are €1,50 each.

I'll just add an alternative to the shuttle/train/metro. We found 4 others on our roll call and are sharing a private transfer with Civitavecchia Cab Service from the cruise terminal to our hotels in Rome next month. Cost quoted is 28€ per person (total of 6 passengers), which includes two hotel stops for our group.

Edited by Chloe1500