Escape Transatlantic????

Thinking of doing this trip end of October out of Southampton-Miami.

I know the weather at the beginning will be cold, but does anybody have any idea how many day's sailing until it would hit sun deck weather??

We did a TA from Copenhagen to Miami with a stop in the Azores. The weather was too chilly to use the pool area until after we left the Azores.

Thinking of doing this trip end of October out of Southampton-Miami.

I know the weather at the beginning will be cold, but does anybody have any idea how many day's sailing until it would hit sun deck weather??

The weather will depend quite a bit on the route they take. The shortest routing would be a northerly course westbound passing close to Newfoundland then paralleling the coast of the U.S. southward from Maine down to Miami. That will also mean a cooler, wetter, rougher crossing in general.

My best guess looking at the number of sea days (9 consecutive) is that they will take a southerly course across the Bay of Biscay, past the western tip of Portugal then turn southwest past the Azores then roughly West-Southwest from there into Miami. The first several days will be cooler and once past the Azores it stands to warm a bit each day as we get further south towards Miami. If this is the course we take I'd guess at least three days of temps high enough to use the sundecks and pools. However if there were a cold front in the mid Atlantic it could put a damper on that.

Unfortunately there is no real way of knowing until we are enroute what the weather will be like. I'm bringing pool gear and if I can use it great, if not there will be plenty of things to keep me occupied indoors. We always bring our Rummikub tiles or Mexican train dominoes and some card games with us on crossings as we know there may not be a lot of fun in the sun.

I did this cruise a few years ago on the SUN -- I wished I had packed shorts!!

By the time we passed the Azores, and we sailed down by Madeira it was really warm, the sun was great and the pools were being used a lot. We did have rain for the White Hot Party on the pool deck so it was moved into Dazzles night club.

It was cool and cloudy in Southampton and when we got to the Bay of Biscay it was a tad rough, but walking around Lisbon we were in short sleeves and light pants. All in all it was a fantastic cruise, we weren't able to port at Ponta Delgada due to weather issues :( but I love sea days and it was a great cruise. Our roll call had several things to do on different days and the transatlantic is a great thing if you are into to progressive trivia .... we had a good team and it was a lot of fun.

You do risk parts of the ship not being complete or working. The crew may not be up to speed on the new ship. You are paying to be a beta tester. The Epic had no Haven furniture and lots of problems.

But by most accounts the Getaway was just the opposite, everything up to speed and in working order! I booked the Escape transatlantic knowing it will be a "shakedown" cruise. I expect, and will be understanding, of any lags in service. I have done post dry-dock cruises on several ships so am also aware that there may be some ongoing finish work on the crossing, or furnishings that will be installed upon arrival in Miami.

My biggest concern relates to dining and extra costs. NCL has been making so many changes, and there are so many unknowns with this ship. I'm afraid that the cruise I will take will not be anywhere near the experience I expected. We have already ditched plans to buy the UDP, but who knows what the dining charges will be by the time they open reservations. I feel less certain about my choice with each passing day.

I have not sailed NCL since 1997 and if the costs escalate too much then this will possibly be my second, and last cruise with NCL.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72