Victory - Dry Dock & 2.0?

Canadian_J

Can anyone confirm the current status of the Victory and when (if any) it is scheduled for dry dock? I've been getting conflicting information and have looked high and low without any consensus on where it's at. Last I'd heard was a dry dock this past spring, did that happen? Any info is appreciated as we're considering a sailing in 2016 :)

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I've searched as best I could and couldn't find any threads with definitive answers.

Yes, it was in dry dock. Not much noticeable was done except added a couple bars. No 2.0. Some had said in their cabins they had flat screen tvs, others have stated they still had the old tube tvs.

Most reviews I have read have said the staff is outstanding and they had a great cruise. We will be on her in November.

I am going on Victory later this year, and have been following the info on carnival.com as well as here.

From what I can tell, the only dry dock changes made were some fix jobs in staterooms/bathrooms. Also they added a Sports bar and an Alchemy bar. Supposedly there was some moldy grout fixed in shower stalls.

None of these things will greatly improve,( but are appreciated,) my cruise experience, I think. to me it sounds like they did not do much in the 14 day dry dock. but I was prepared to sail this ship before dry dock, so any upgrades I suppose will be plusses.

it was in dry dock in early march 2015

Edited by SMSACE6

We were on her last week ... sports bar and martini bar upgrades with some work still being done on Deck 10 aft (past the aft pool). No improvements to the common areas or cabins that we saw ... still large tube TVs and moldy tile in our aft extended balcony cabin on deck 8 :). Nonetheless, she is a fun ship!

Thanks for the info everyone :) this was pretty much what I was expecting so it's good to get a confirmation. I've sailed Victory before and always enjoyed it, so the lack of 2.0 won't deter me. I think I've just been spoiled having 2.0 on my last few sailings :P not a deal breaker though!

• 1 month later...
Yes, it was in dry dock. Not much noticeable was done except added a couple bars. No 2.0. Some had said in their cabins they had flat screen tvs, others have stated they still had the old tube tvs.

Most reviews I have read have said the staff is outstanding and they had a great cruise. We will be on her in November.

Can you please explain what 2.0 is? And does this ship have the "Guy's Burgers" and the Mexican taco bar?

Thanks.

We were on her last week ... sports bar and martini bar upgrades with some work still being done on Deck 10 aft (past the aft pool). No improvements to the common areas or cabins that we saw ... still large tube TVs and moldy tile in our aft extended balcony cabin on deck 8 :). Nonetheless, she is a fun ship!

I think it got done new carpet too. Our aft wrap on 6 still had the giant tube TV that takes up most of the counter space. [emoji20]

The dry dock was mostly for the crew. Yes they added the Alchemy Bar but its the crew that saw the most significant changes, and the reason I know this is I did the "Behind the Fun" tour. Its a 3 hour tour done on the last sea day and its an amazing tour of the ship to learn all the ins & outs! With the dry dock the crew has a entire new outside area at the front of the ship to enjoy, the have a new crew bar and we got to see both of them so you could see they were in desperate need of that.

From personal experience they should of updated the bathrooms in the cabins, we had an oceanview room and Im not one to take notice and complain about things, but the tile was moldy and it just seemed so worn. The ship is old and dated and you can tell.

It was still a fun cruise minus the piano bar, the guy is terrible. He doesn't interact with the crowd and he doesnt take suggestions. He was a real bummer. The comedians though were excellent.

• 1 month later...

Based on this information, I am worried that this will not be the ship for us and our friends and family group in Feb. 2017. We wanted the southern caribbean out of San Juan and the Victory is our only choice with Carnival. We love Carnival and I so wanted to have all of the same specialty areas that we had on the Glory last year. And the posts about the bathrooms being in such need of updating due to mold, etc. makes for another reason to change to a different ship. I am sure they put the Victory in San Juan for that time because it would never sell out, in the shape it is in, if it sailed from a less popular home port.

What do you all think? This will be my 24th cruise (not all with CCL) but we will have some 1st timers with us and I don't want an old, in need of updating ship to turn them off. Because, in a lot of cases, the ship is the destination. I don't want to be enjoying myself on the island and not really look forward to heading back to my "motel 6" like ship.

And the Adventure of the Seas on RCCL is the other San Juan option. That ship is very badly in need of updating. Have been on her twice.

Anything else is too expensive. We may opt for a Florida port and forget about the Southern Caribbean (our fave).

Thanks.

Any more info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We are booked on the Victory for 2017, but certainly have time to make a change.

:rolleyes:

Based on this information, I am worried that this will not be the ship for us and our friends and family group in Feb. 2017. We wanted the southern caribbean out of San Juan and the Victory is our only choice with Carnival. We love Carnival and I so wanted to have all of the same specialty areas that we had on the Glory last year. And the posts about the bathrooms being in such need of updating due to mold, etc. makes for another reason to change to a different ship. I am sure they put the Victory in San Juan for that time because it would never sell out, in the shape it is in, if it sailed from a less popular home port.

What do you all think? This will be my 24th cruise (not all with CCL) but we will have some 1st timers with us and I don't want an old, in need of updating ship to turn them off. Because, in a lot of cases, the ship is the destination. I don't want to be enjoying myself on the island and not really look forward to heading back to my "motel 6" like ship.

And the Adventure of the Seas on RCCL is the other San Juan option. That ship is very badly in need of updating. Have been on her twice.

Anything else is too expensive. We may opt for a Florida port and forget about the Southern Caribbean (our fave).

Thanks.

Any more info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We are booked on the Victory for 2017, but certainly have time to make a change.

:rolleyes:

Thought I answered this yesterday - but now I don't see it. [emoji20]

Before you totally rule out the Victory - check out this thread. Gambee does a great job and has a TON of pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2247456

Edited by happy cruzin

• 1 month later...

We have a group booked on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan sailing on Feb.5 2017. A long time away, but a long time to plan for a possible large friends and family group. So far we have only 12 cabins. All Balconies.

We picked this because of the itinerary and the Victory offers what we need in the availability of balconies.

Today we get a call stating that they are switching the Victory for the Fascination. WTH?

This ship will not be what we want. Have sailed her and do not want to take a group on her.

We have not been given another option.

Waiting.

Anyone else booked for the Victory out of San Juan?

We have a group booked on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan sailing on Feb.5 2017. A long time away, but a long time to plan for a possible large friends and family group. So far we have only 12 cabins. All Balconies.

We picked this because of the itinerary and the Victory offers what we need in the availability of balconies.

Today we get a call stating that they are switching the Victory for the Fascination. WTH?

This ship will not be what we want. Have sailed her and do not want to take a group on her.

We have not been given another option.

Waiting.

Anyone else booked for the Victory out of San Juan?

They are moving the Victory to Miami to cover the Fantasys itineraryies when it moves to Mobile.

So happy to hear Gambee Mom and Gambee will be sailing again on Victory before our cruise on the 26th of December. Another awesome review coming soon. Can't wait.

Gambee is going on the Victory again? He was on it earlier this year.

They are taking the Victory out of San Juan and moving to a Florida port and doing 3 and 4 day cruises.

That's fine, BUT, we were booked with a group on the Victory for Feb. 2017. They moved the Fascination to San Juan.

Have been on the Fascination. Do not want to take this group on that ship. We are all balconies. Group is still building. We have 24 booked so far.

I have asked for the Glory out of Miami on the same week that we are booked, and itgoes to the Eastern Caribbean.

They will give it to us, but about $150 more per person. YIKES!!!

I am so sick.

What would you all do? And don't tell me to do the Fascination. She is ok for a 3 or 4 day, but not a 7 day Southern.

We only want Carnival and this group has been 2 years in the making and finally coming together. And now this.

They are taking the Victory out of San Juan and moving to a Florida port and doing 3 and 4 day cruises.

That's fine, BUT, we were booked with a group on the Victory for Feb. 2017. They moved the Fascination to San Juan.

Have been on the Fascination. Do not want to take this group on that ship. We are all balconies. Group is still building. We have 24 booked so far.

I have asked for the Glory out of Miami on the same week that we are booked, and itgoes to the Eastern Caribbean.

They will give it to us, but about $150 more per person. YIKES!!!

I am so sick.

What would you all do? And don't tell me to do the Fascination. She is ok for a 3 or 4 day, but not a 7 day Southern.

We only want Carnival and this group has been 2 years in the making and finally coming together. And now this.

Sorry to hear about the change to your cruise, never a fun situation to go through. However, you'll probably receive better advice on the thread you started specifically about the swap, not on a thread about the Victory's upgrades. Just want to make sure you get the answers you need! Good luck and hope you guys have fun regardless :)

• 1 month later...