First Cruise QM2 NY to Southampton

bubbe2005

You don't spend 24/7 on the QM2 eating. (well, I don't)

If you refer to my reply, I didn't know much about stuff on the QM2 either when I booked, apart from I would be floating around in luxury.

Edited by Olliesmum

You don't spend 24/7 on the QM2 eating. (well, I don't)

If you refer to my reply, I didn't know much about stuff on the QM2 either when I booked, apart from I would be floating around in luxury.

Then you too must have had a TA who wasn't providing you with very much service beyond taking your money.:(

True that a first timer doesn't know what they don't know. To their credit however, the OP intends to bring appropriate dinner clothes should they decide to dine in Britannia.

Wow, what an answer!! Talk about know it all and what others may be like! !

I did not read BlueRiband's response to the OP's initial post as being "know it all." Like some other posters here, I, too, wondered if the OP really understood what shipboard on the QM2 is like. I also wondered why she had not taken the time to get some of this info from her TA or from the Cunard website. That is not a criticism; it simply raised questions in my mind as to whether reality would damper her expectations. I thought that BlueRiband's response was very informative and reasonable.

The OP and her husband obviously feel that sailing for seven days with two toddlers is easier than flying for eight hours. Not having children, I hope that she is right. There was a young family with two children, under the age of 3 aboard the Ryndam 15-day TA a couple of years ago. While many of us questioned the parents' sanity, the family was having a great time. More power to them!

Now . . . let's hope that a January, North Atlantic sailing will be smooth!

I also wondered why she had not taken the time to get some of this info from her TA or from the Cunard website.

Perhaps she thought it would be more informative to ask experienced Cunarders on a Cunard forum. Probably wishing she hadn't now.

Edited by Olliesmum

I did not read BlueRiband's response to the OP's initial post as being "know it all." Like some other posters here, I, too, wondered if the OP really understood what shipboard on the QM2 is like. I also wondered why she had not taken the time to get some of this info from her TA or from the Cunard website. That is not a criticism; it simply raised questions in my mind as to whether reality would damper her expectations. I thought that BlueRiband's response was very informative and reasonable.

The OP and her husband obviously feel that sailing for seven days with two toddlers is easier than flying for eight hours. Not having children, I hope that she is right. There was a young family with two children, under the age of 3 aboard the Ryndam 15-day TA a couple of years ago. While many of us questioned the parents' sanity, the family was having a great time. More power to them!

Now . . . let's hope that a January, North Atlantic sailing will be smooth!

Thank you Tampa Girl, as that was what I had hoped to convey. With the OP's questioning "dressing for eating" and per person gratuities (in another thread) it has me wondering what else they will find out that they don't like - and that's before they board. Fortunately they booked from the US so there is plenty of time to bail out if they decide it's not for them. I just hope it all works out well for them.

7.traveling with kids...how bad can it be or get? 1 year old and 4 year old. we'll be lugging around with large suitcase, 2 car seats, and strollers (would my 4 year old need a stroller)? - can't be that bad right?

My family will also be moving to the UK later this year in the fall, using the QM2 as our chosen mode of transportation (wife doesn't fly). (yes we have our passports ;-) This will be my 10 year old's 7th crossing. He crossed at 0yo, 1yo, 6yo, 8yo, and 9yo. And his sister is 2 1/2 years younger. So we have crossed with a wide range of ages. My kids truly enjoy the kids zone; however, the 1 year old will not be allowed alone. I believe they changed this recently to 2 years old???

The suitcases fit well under the bed, there is actually quite a bit of storage there so use it as needed. For strollers, we prefer to try and book rooms at the end of corridors "dead ends" as this allows us a bit more freedom with strollers, and less traffic.

1yo and 4yo will be challenging on a crossing for sure. The 4yo will be in the kids zone, but you will need to tend to the 1yo 24/7. We used to put a baby monitor in the stateroom during naptime, and sit just outside the room and read a book. (hence the value of the dead end corridor). Now we prefer to be located near the kids zone, but not on the same floor as it.

Bring all the diapers you think you would possibly need. For a 1 year old, we would also bring a weeks worth of his/her food just in case. The buffet will be your friend, having a 1 year old. I also bring kids medication for fever, etc. I'm sure they have medicines available, but nice to have the brands you know well.

I remember one time actually crossing with only 1 stroller, and purchasing one in Southampton at a nearby BabysRUs on arrival. Carseats fit in the bottom of the closets for the crossing. It's gonna be a full cabin.

For our crossing this year we will be bringing 8 full size suitcases (max we can take onward on buses once in the UK), so it will be tight for us as well. But we always seem to manage.

--

whyohwhyoh