Door decorations???

Rockjock64

I use the removable wall decals. Lots of fun designs and no damage to the door. I always decorate for the simple reason that it's so much easier and faster to locate our door in a looooong hallway of doors.

I use the removable wall decals. Lots of fun designs and no damage to the door. I always decorate for the simple reason that it's so much easier and faster to locate our door in a looooong hallway of doors.

Yes. It's easily recognizable from a distance, and generally a friendly thing.

When traveling with a group of friends a couple years ago, we all had whiteboards on our doors which made it SUPER easy to communicate about who was where (if we wanted to be found), where we were meeting for supper, what we were up to, etc. It made life much easier for keeping in touch with a larger group. Our rooms were all close together too, so that helped. I too use the 3M hooks and painters tape as that seems to peel off really easily without leaving any residue behind.

What kind of stuff can you not hang on the door? I was thinking about getting a long sheet of paper and in the middle just saying something about "cruising is awesome so sign this if you agree" type thing. It be interesting to see what people write

I love this idea! My son will be turning 11 on our next cruise and I plan on doing a Happy Birthday design. Maybe I can put something out there and have people "wish" him happy birthday to see how many signatures he can get with a spot for where they are from!!

That's a good idea. You could hang a sheet of white butcher paper with tape, and have some crayons for people to leave a message. If you hung a pen up it might not work as well due to gravity.

I have done this before many times because I do enjoy decorating the doors. However, be aware of the fact that crayons/pencils/pens are an invitation for kids to mark everything in sight if they want to be mischievous! That happened the last time we cruised and we came upon a group of teens 'decorating' the paper and the walls surrounding the door with the pen. Thankfully we had used an erasable pen instead of the usual ink pen we have always brought before. Lesson learned! From now on - erasable ink or don't do it at all! (BTW: We always roll up the marked sheet and put it away with our other memorabilia from each cruise. It brings back great memories!

This reminds me of a conversation I overheard on a recent cruise. The wife was putting up sign of some sort, as well as sticky window clings, on the outside of the door.

Husband: "Honey, what are you doing?"

Wife: "Just decorating the door so people can find us."

Husband: "Why wouldn't they be able to find us?"

Wife: "It just makes it easier."

Husband: "I think our friends are smart enough to know what a cabin number actually means."

Wife: (long and hard glare)

Husband: (sheepish grin)

Me: "She won, eh?"

Husband: "Always..."

I have done this before many times because I do enjoy decorating the doors. However, be aware of the fact that crayons/pencils/pens are an invitation for kids to mark everything in sight if they want to be mischievous! That happened the last time we cruised and we came upon a group of teens 'decorating' the paper and the walls surrounding the door with the pen. Thankfully we had used an erasable pen instead of the usual ink pen we have always brought before. Lesson learned! From now on - erasable ink or don't do it at all! (BTW: We always roll up the marked sheet and put it away with our other memorabilia from each cruise. It brings back great memories!

Thanks, didn't even think about kids drawing stuff on the walls with crayons. We usually cruise Princess where children aren't that prolific. I'll stick to my gels. Never had anyone mess with them.

Here's our door and mailbox from our repositioning cruise on Legend last fall. The decorations on the three panels are tied to our being musicians, professional divers, and getting married in Fiji after the cruise. We were in an aftwrap suite at the end of the corridor.

fijidoora.jpg

We are sailing on the Sunshine in July. Based on pictures, it looks like the doors are wood.

Has anyone sailed on the Sunshine and decorated their door? If so, what have you used to stick the decorations with? We just want to put a simple "Happy Anniversary" banner up, not much. :)

Or fun-tak...

ah, the teacher's friend...please do not use tape...you would not use it on your walls at home, please do not use it on doors/walls onboard...tic-tac, fun-tac, whatever you call it, great stuff!

Oh, we didn't buy it. I just made it using a picture I found on the internet. Here is a "blank" for you to use. Have fun!

(This prints out on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper in correct aspect ratio). To get it, jut right click and "save as".

0000111%20minions%20paradise%20big%20blank_zpscpemnmno.jpg

Edited by davefagerstrom