Packing for a 10 day family of 4

bubba83

We have a little less than a year yet to figure this out...but I'm trying to imagine how the heck to pack for a family of 4 (two young children being 3 and 5.5 at cruise time) without packing the whole darn house :D

How do you do it, tips or suggestions....

We just did a 12 day trip with our 2 kids (4 and 8) and only brought 2 suitcases for the 4 of us so it can be done. :eek:

Key is obviously to pack only what you really need. Bring clothes you can mix and match into different outfits to get multiple wearings out of. Don't pack 10 dinner outfits for each kid, they can wear the same thing multiple times to dinner. If you really want to save space you could consider skipping the formal nights or at least bringing just one formal outfit per person and wearing it multiple times.

We limit the kids to a couple stuffed animals and that's it, no need for toys on the ship. Oh, and we bring iPods, Kindle's, etc. for the kids books. That saves a ton of weight and space over lugging a bunch of bedtime books around with you.

Are you going to need to bring a stroller, car seat, boosters, etc?

Does the ship have self laundry? If so, you could pack for half the time and do laundry midway through. Will the 3 yr old still be in diapers? You can order those through the ship and they'll be waiting for you when you get there. It's a bit more expensive but if you're flying in, it will save you space. Have the kids take their own little backpacks for carry-ons with snacks or little things to do. At that age it shouldn't be full of everything just a couple of items. Take laundry detergent and wash a few items in the sink in the cabin.

I agree with PP abt not taking too many outfits for dinner or formal nights. It's just a waste of space and they're only in them for a couple of hours. If they spill something just wash it out in the sink. Oh and leave room in the suitcase for any souvenirs or tshirts they may want from Port.

If your cruise is the Grandeur from Baltimore, you have lots of sea days. Bring at least two bathing suits for the kids, as you will probably be spending a lot of time around the pool. Labadee is a beach day, and probably Grand Cayman, too. No self laundry on Royal Caribbean ships. It looks like you may be driving to the port. Bring two medium to large suitcases: one for you and one child, the other for husband and other child. And a carryon each. Have each child bring a small rolling suitcase with their bare necessities, such as stuffed animal, blankie, leap pad, etc. EM

Looks like you will be driving to port so that should help a lot. Many people will pack each outfit for kids in a gallon ziplock bag so you can easily grab what is needed. Royal Caribbean ships do not have self service laundry but they do have a stuff a bag laundry option, usually half way through the cruise. It is just wash and fold for pj's, undies, tshirts, shorts and a few other things. There will be a list with the bag stating what is covered by the special and what isn't. The special is either $25 or $30 for the bag but will charge going rate for anything put in the bag that isn't qualified.

We always had a small kids rolling bag that our son could bring his favorite stuffed animal or lovey and a few toys. Helps make them part of the process.

I wouldn't stress about it this far out. Just make a list of what are must haves, like any kid meds like tylenol since finding those in the on board store is pretty impossible. You will be able to pack cheap beach toys since you are driving. Take lots of your preferred brand of sunscreen and some aloe lotion just in case someone does get a little burn.

It is never too early to start of list so you won't forget that little thing you only use every once it a while. We just stick a piece of paper on the side of the refrigerator and just add to it as we think of something.

Here is how we went on a 14 day med cruise carryon only: Take only what you must have, do not bring anything "just in case". The more the kids bring, the more they lose track of, including in the room. sundresses double nicely for girls/mom to wear on formal night with a lightweight sweater. Blingy flip flops/sandals work for formal night. Cull shoes to no more than three pairs per person: Walking, beach/pool, and formal (Maybe). the ship will probably have a fill-the-bag laundry special mid cruise. What is the worst thing that will happen if you don't have a certain shirt or outfit? I forgot to pack socks for our five year old -- could not find any within walking distance of the port in Barcelona early in the morning, just kept rinsing one pair out for several days 'till we found some in one of the ports. have a great time!

Good feedback...thanks everyone...

Yes the goal is to have the 3 year old out of diapers by then...so hopefully I will only need pull-ups for night for her...driving to port so that helps with the luggage situation....my girls love dresses so they will be easy to pack for!

I just traveled with my son aged 6. This was just the 2 of us.

Pick a colour combination you and your kids like. Ie your daughters could wear all pink.

This way all clothes are matching & you can mix and match.

I purchased packing cells in different colours. Ie pink for me & blue for my DS.

This makes packing easy. I roll clothes & then rubber band them & then into their packing cell.

Formal night. 1 outfit each.

Shoes-limit numbers.

Toys- rci has a toy lending library.

Buy cheap toys in port. If going to a country with children whom would like unused toys give your kids toys to them.

Sardwonder soap washing bar- I washed our clothes every night with this.

Buy clothes on sale for the cruise & if need they can be chucked out or donated at end of cruise.

Buy any nappies you need at a port with a supermarket.

I took a larger 60lt backpack & rolling duffle bag with us.

Total each bag was 10kg making easy for me to carry.

Start packing 2 weeks out & then night before go through bags & remove excess clothes.

Kids clothes are generally quite small and dont take up alot of room. Nappies and wipes were the bulkiest part of the luggage.

We packed 1 outfit per day inc undies and half the amount of socks with a few spares. Some clothes didnt get worn as dresses were sometimes worn for about 1.5 days as they were not dirty. The only toys we took were ipad, doll and a colour wonder colouring in pack. One pair of sneakers and one pair of sandels per child. We ended up with 2 large suitcases and 1 small carry on for the 4 of us. Was plenty will probably do the same thing when we go in March although i hope my just 3 year old will be toilet trained by then so she can go in kids club less nappies!

Oh and dont forget to bring drugs for the kids, panadol, nurofen, themometer, bandaids etc. This is the most important!