Alaska cruise advice needed !!!

FTPCruiser

While everybody says - justifiably - that Glacier Bay is more spectacular, our last trip up Tracy Fjord, sitting on the Promenade deck as the mist-wrapped scenery glided by and ending with an excellent view of Sawyer Glacier, was simply one of the most beautiful few hours I've spent on a ship. (Granted, weather and ice conditions can prevent getting to Sawyer, but we lucked out.)

And, though I have no idea what your budget is, GB sailings tend to be more expensive. So if you, for reasons of scheduling or budget, settle on the Tracy Arm sailing, you'll still have a great cruise.

One thing I will recommend is to rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon. While you can do somewhat the same route on the White Pass Railroad, just the two of you in a car allows you to stop wherever you want for as long as you want, and at that time of year, the fall foliage will be spectacular. Have fun!

We have done 7 Alaskan cruises and I think Glacier bay would be better. I would definitely do a round trip cruise and not a one way. We have done them from San Fran, Vancouver and from Seattle. All were fun. Our best one was one that started with a five day land tour from Calgary to Vancouver and then 7 day inside passage R/T. We had Booked it again for this June with 3 other couples but Princess booted us all off. They said they had dropped the land part of this cruise and dropped us without even asking if we would still like to do the Alaskan cruise part. (which we all did want to do) Eventually they emailed me saying we could book it a couple of months later than June but for $4,000 more. No thanks. We have gone around and around with Princess about this.

...Our best one was one that started with a five day land tour from Calgary to Vancouver and then 7 day inside passage R/T. We had Booked it again for this June with 3 other couples but Princess booted us all off. They said they had dropped the land part of this cruise and dropped us without even asking if we would still like to do the Alaskan cruise part...

:eek: I wonder if some group chartered the entire tour? I can't imagine why else this would happen.

One thing about glacier viewing anywhere is that by September the top cover of snow is one. Then you will see the crevasses and the blue color much better.

I am wondering how you are going to keep your hands over her eyes till you get to the ship.....?

She will know that we are going a 10 day cruise but will not know the destination until the day before the departure!

Last year we did our very first cruise to Mexico for 10 days and she loved it. She thinks we will be doing that again but since I know how much she wanted to see Alaska, this will be the surprise destination for her.

Edited by FTPCruiser

Glacier bay!!!!

I did this Sept 2013. It was beautiful, once in a life time opportunity. They take you all around the bay, lots of glaciers to see. Tracy Arm, sounds like you don't always get to glaciers but, it does look like it'd be beautiful.

It's up to you but MOST people do Glacier bay, if your wife has ever said she wants to go to Alaska, that's probably the glaciers she's imagining is Glacier Bay.

Glacier bay!!!!

I did this Sept 2013. It was beautiful, once in a life time opportunity. They take you all around the bay, lots of glaciers to see. Tracy Arm, sounds like you don't always get to glaciers but, it does look like it'd be beautiful.

Sometimes you don't even get into the entrance at Tracy Arm.