Age for Solarium pool?

msaprib

Thank you to those of you who didn't make me feel like an idiot for asking a question. Other posters turned my simple question into a debate and got the whole reason for my asking twisted around. While I realize that debates are a good thing, I don't think my original post warranted setting one off!

And yes, I am one of those parents who likes to know where my child is and what he's doing at all times. He has been taught to follow and respect the rules.

Thank you to those of you who didn't make me feel like an idiot for asking a question. Other posters turned my simple question into a debate and got the whole reason for my asking twisted around. While I realize that debates are a good thing, I don't think my original post warranted setting one off!

And yes, I am one of those parents who likes to know where my child is and what he's doing at all times. He has been taught to follow and respect the rules.

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I didn't think you'd be so uptight. It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment. And yes, I am the mother of three adult sons. Have a nice trip.

I would just like to see a place that they could get out of the hot sun.

There were certainly lots of shaded areas in the kids/teenager zone on the Navigator so I wouldn't be too concern that a child does not get to use the solarium pool.

I think it's great that RCI caters to many age groups- with areas for kids only and areas for adults only and other spaces where families can spend time together.

To the OP- thank you very much for sticking to the rules, even if your child is well-behaved enough to stay. I think it really helps kids learn about limits and respect.

My DH and I do not have children and while we do not mind sharing our cruise with children, it is nice to know we have a place to go for a little peace and quiet when we feel like it. I'm sure the kids feel the same way about the AO space;)

Cheers,

There will always be people who don't think the rules apply to them. On our last trip, DIL could absolutely not understand why DGS (age 8) could not sit quietly next to her while she played the slot machines (he is a fairly quiet kid) - I told her because the rules say so. She wasn't happy (likes to have him nearby at all times), but DS had to take him to play in the arcade (she refused to send him to AO - don't ask).

OP, however, was doing the right thing by asking - and I see nothing wrong with a child "checking in" with a parent periodically onboard.

They are allowed to walk through and certainly to chat with the parent. My daughter did on occasion so that I would know what she was up to. I just would not allow her to stay (she wouldnt have anyway because she has the feeling that she cannot be seen with her mother). Hopefully, she will grow out of this stage.

msaprib - hang around. Not all of us hate kids or think it is open season to post glib statements about your parenting abilities.

I think it is quite funny how the child-haters come out in droves to post on a thread about children. Their attitude is they want children as far away from them as possible. Then why post on a child-related thread? I guess just to fan their own flatulance.

There are some posters who are lurking out there just "itching for a fight" - you need to be able to let their comments roll off. There are some posters who take any opportunity to dump on kids and parents (others who seem to have a problem with the way people dress). I've never been able to figure out why someone can't ask a simple question here without 10-12 people piling on reading sinister motives behind the question.

Keep asking questions - don't let the bullies win :)

If the rules state "no one under 16" then my 14 year old will not be allowed in the solarium pool. My husband has always called me the rule police (I guess it comes from being a teacher:))

I love the rule police!

16 is 16 (even if you have an 15 year old that acts 75)!

Sixteen. I would hope that everyone on every cruise would observe all of the rules set forth by the cruiseline for the peace and enjoyment of all the cruisers.

Agreed. How well behave kids are is a matter of interpretation and has no bearing on whether or not they should be allowed in the Solarium. The age minimum is 16.

As an adult, I appreciate the adult areas being respected for those of us who frequent them.

masprib:

On some ships the Pizza-hotdog-munchie bar is in the Solarium. I've seen tons of teens lined up to get food, but then they leave and go elsewhere. So yes, he can come in and walk through or get food etc.

I hear they are pretty strict in the teen areas at making sure the right ages are in the right areas also. Some people with two teens who are in different age groups want them to be together too, but I guess from what I hear that is not allowed by the staff. The activities are designed for particular ages and apparently they don't want them mixing.

Does your son have a good friend the same age that you might consider taking along? If you plan on spending time in the Solarium (a wonderful oasis, by the way), it might be a good plan. Of course he'll meet other kids on board too, who are his age...

Have a great time!

Another tip is make sure he goes to the teen program the first night.That seems to be when most of the shipboard friendships form.I had to push my daughter to go when she was about 15.She thought it would be "lame" but met some other kids and had a great time.

Archived