Intrigued by ultra low pricing, but is HAL a misfit for us?

I say go for it. You will have a great time. Watch the pricing and then book your best deal on the ship of your choice.

Some people actually resent the fact that locals and others can get on the ship for 299, 399, half price, whatever. Not us. The ones that complain would probably do the same if they could or were predisposed to doing so. I think they feel it lowers the tone of the ship. They are living in a different world than most of us.

More power to you if you snag a deal for you family and enjoy an affordable vacation.

What do you have to lose at the Rock bottom price of $199 for seven days on a newer ship? Even with tips and charges for a third person in a cabin this is quite a deal. Heck, dinner at Applebee's will run you fifty bucks with tips and a couple sodas.

If the deal is on the older HAL a ships walk away, the vibe is almost nonexistent and the ships are pretty dull. However Amsterdam and Eurodam have a pulse and these are nice newer ships.

Of course family friendly cruise lines like Disney or Royal Caribbean Oasis and Allure would be better choices but you will pay a lot more. I've researched, priced and booked Disney after the sticker shock wore off. Try paying $1600 or so for seven days on the Fantasy per adult in a midrange cabin and not getting much of a discount for tiny children. Disney does not fire sale cabins, their prices get higher closing to sailing. They will offer modest discounts to Florida residents and active military on certain slower selling sailings.

What do you have to lose at the Rock bottom price of $199 for seven days on a newer ship? Even with tips and charges for a third person in a cabin this is quite a deal. Heck, dinner at Applebee's will run you fifty bucks with tips and a couple sodas.

If the deal is on the older HAL a ships walk away, the vibe is almost nonexistent and the ships are pretty dull. However Amsterdam and Eurodam have a pulse and these are nice newer ships.

Of course family friendly cruise lines like Disney or Royal Caribbean Oasis and Allure would be better choices but you will pay a lot more. I've researched, priced and booked Disney after the sticker shock wore off. Try paying $1600 or so for seven days on the Fantasy per adult in a midrange cabin and not getting much of a discount for tiny children. Disney does not fire sale cabins, their prices get higher closing to sailing. They will offer modest discounts to Florida residents and active military on certain slower selling sailings.

:eek::eek: The older HAL ships are actually very lovely indeed. My trip on the Veendam was one of the best yet and service was fantastic. I would suggest, especially for this rock-bottom price, that the OP try any HAL ship to see how he likes the line. I have not been on a newer HAL ships but even their newer ships are much smaller than Royal Caribbean's. Also, the Amsterdam is an "older" ship; it is the Nieuw Amsterdam that is comparable to the Eurodam.

Considering watching HAL prices for the late fall/winter season again (off peak) but wondering if HAL would be a fit for us? We are not partiers, but need some nightlife. Live music (not all Frank Sinatra covers...) Karaoke, maybe an audience participation game show, or a song/dance show....Just don't want a sentient experience.

IMHO, HAL would be a misfit for your family.

We aren't new to cruising in general. Know all about the port fees, tip charges, insurance, etc. That's not an issue. When I asked what was omitted, I meant more along the lines of what is HAL cutting out to sell cabins for 199? Or is it just deals to fill the ship?

I feel HAL pricing is usually high level initially and continuously going down if not selling. And this dropping in price happens more frequently for inside cabin, and for "shorter" sailing (in HAL's term meaning 7 nights), which HAL is not as competitive as other more family-oriented lines cruising the Caribbean. Ask you friend when the booking was made, and I am pretty sure it was quite last minute.

We are definitely of the "older" set and have found on our last few HAL cruises that the "younger" set is discovering they too can enjoy the HAL experience. Two weeks ago we were on the Veendam Bermuda cruise and saw several young couples pushing strollers. There was only one instance where we thought parents did not use good judgement. It was during the cocktail hour/pre-late dinner time in the Ocean Lounge where The Neptunes were playing dance music and many couples were enjoying a tango, waltz, two-step, etc. The 3 yr. old and 1 1/2 yr. old (guessing at age) were allowed to crawl around and climb on chairs. This was on a formal night. The children were adorable and by no means at fault, but the parents should have been aware of the fact that this was not an area where children could be given their freedom. I notice someone asked who would be watching your children at night, and you replied you would. This leads me to believe you would be conscious of the appropriate time and place for children to mingle with adults. BTW...you will never find a crew on any cruise line that loves children as much as the HAL crew does. :)

On the subject of timing for booking, we booked this cruise 1 week prior, cheapest rate inside, guarantee, and ended up with an ocean view window on deck 4, a delightful room that I would book again. I usually book verandas so this is quite an admission! This booking would have given us 3rd/4th passenger free also. It was a steal with $50 per person obc included. :D

On the subject of timing for booking, we booked this cruise 1 week prior, cheapest rate inside, guarantee, and ended up with an ocean view window on deck 4, a delightful room that I would book again. I usually book verandas so this is quite an admission! This booking would have given us 3rd/4th passenger free also. It was a steal with $50 per person obc included. :D

Amazing! This will be my strategy on booking HAL in the near future .... Veendam or Maasdam.