Cellular signal in Alaska?

DaleJr

• 4 weeks later...

A couple months ago we cruised RT SEATTLE. My el cheapo dumb tracfone did OK. We're now in Juneau for a land vaca (wifes HS Reunion) and the tracfone smart phones we have are really nice paperweights for our vacation. Strange as it sounds, not all their phones use the same carriers towers

I suggest if someone is interested in tracfone here that you go to the tracfone website and check the phones they say will work in the zip codes you're interested in (Juneau is 99801). Sure enough-our current phones are not listed. Now I wish I had just bought a cheap burner phone with enuf minutes to get us thru a week (and then chucked the phone)

Edited by mbisson

A couple months ago we cruised RT SEATTLE. My el cheapo dumb tracfone did OK. We're now in Juneau for a land vaca (wifes HS Reunion) and the tracfone smart phones we have are really nice paperweights for our vacation. Strange as it sounds, not all their phones use the same carriers towers

I suggest if someone is interested in tracfone here that you go to the tracfone website and check the phones they say will work in the zip codes you're interested in (Juneau is 99801). Sure enough-our current phones are not listed. Now I wish I had just bought a cheap burner phone with enuf minutes to get us thru a week (and then chucked the phone)

I am surprised. At one point, tracfone had exceptional coverage in AK. I guess times change (this was many years ago, they were often mentioned here when other cell carriers were charging extra for roaming here).

That's very odd - isn't TracFone's schtick that they use ALL major providers' towers?

You should be able to find some free wifi signals in just about every port to upload your selfies and posts to Facebook. I live in Alaska and there aren't too many places where I can't find a wifi signal.

Do be careful when you are even near Canada at all. I was in Washington State on the coast and picked up a roaming signal from Canada (Rogers I think was the company name). I turned off my phone ASAP and only got charged about a dollar but it was only connected for maybe 3 seconds.

Do be careful when you are even near Canada at all. I was in Washington State on the coast and picked up a roaming signal from Canada (Rogers I think was the company name). I turned off my phone ASAP and only got charged about a dollar but it was only connected for maybe 3 seconds.
I have AT&T and have learned a lot from this thread. (thank you!) We cannot wait to see Alaska!

I have AT&T and have learned a lot from this thread. (thank you!) We cannot wait to see Alaska!

When in Whittier, and struggling to get data service with Verizon, AT&T people had great service.

• 1 month later...