Lamanai (privately) or Altun Ha (w/ Carnival)?

JAGheel

Looking for recommendations between these two trips. Wife and I really like the idea of the boat ride that comes with each of these. Seeing pictures of both sites, I prefer the look of Lamanai, but I have heard that it is very tight time wise. Is the extra "coolness" factor worth the risk? I do have priority tendering so I can be on the first tender off the boat. Any thoughts? And for those recommending Lamanai any recommendations on providers?

What else would you like to do in Belize? Altun ha would give you more time. If you like "rustic" and don't mind being inconvenienced, then Lamanai would be a good choice assuming you. While only a small area has been excavated, there are some impressive views from the temple top.

Cruisers have had good experiences with belize cruise excursions. You book through Island Marketing. http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/Lamanai_Belize.htm

Occasionally ship with long port stays will sponsor tours. Be sure to fully consider the tender times to and from the Belize tender pier and the last tender time for your ship. Smaller ships sometimes have their last tenders leave Belize City a half hour before sailaway. Most larger ships which anchor further out will schedule their last tenders to leave Belize City an hour before sailaway.

So if time appears to be a factor, go with Altun Ha. You can find many private tours there which can skip other activities often tagged onto the cruiseline excursions.

Lamanai is one of my favorite all-time excursions. I took a private excursion and made it back with an hour to spare. It's very cool. The guides will watch the time, which does mean you won't have infinite time at the ruins. The only way things could go wrong is if things go wrong, which is impossible to predict. The odds favor you, but it's not a sure thing.

We were in Belize on the Carnival Dream on May 21. We used the Carnival excursion for Altun Ha and River Wallace. We really enjoyed this excursion.

This was one of the few times that we booked an excursion through Carnival due to the possible tightness of time. I would consider doing an independent tour if it would start earlier than our Carnival excursion (next paragraph...). I did not find a lower cost with an independent that did the same tour.

The ship's tender operation started at 8am. Our meeting time in the Encore Lounge (main lounge with stage at front of ship) was 9:30am with scheduled departure time of 9:45. The late start time made for a relaxing early morning and breakfast with few people eating late. We started towards the tender right at 9:30 but did not depart the ship until 10:15 or so.

The River Wallace boat ride was nice even with a few short rain showers. We saw interesting birds and nests, bats on the side of a tree, monkeys in the trees, crocodiles and manatees. We were somewhat rushed after the boat ride ended.

We had lunch after departing from the boats; $8 for a lunch plus $2 for a drink. Lunch offering was rice and beans with chicken and cooked plantain slice or hamburger (didn't notice if the burger came with fries or with chips).

The bus was comfortable and the road was nice until the last 10-15 minutes or so before arriving at the ruins. The ruins were great but we didn't spend much time there. Not a lot of time is needed just to see what is there and to climb but I think we were cut a little short on the talks. New bathrooms have just been completed and there was another building being worked on that I'm guessing may house a museum.

The last tender was scheduled to depart from Belize for the ship at 4:15. We arrived at about 4:30 and got in a very long line waiting for the ride to the ship. There was time to shop and buy drinks since the line was so long and the tenders were slow coming back for refill. We didn't shop and stayed in our place in line and there were quite a few people behind us. I did purchase a few beers (2 for $5) while my wife held our place in line. Several tenders arrived and loaded while we waited. We loaded on a very large double-decker boat which ended up being the last tender back to the Dream as everyone behind us made it onboard. I think we made it back to the ship at around 5:45 (sail away was scheduled for 5pm).

If I had been on an indepent tour I would have been very nervous on the bus ride as we wound threw the city with 4:15 fast approaching and finally arriving at the dock after that. I don't think it would have mattered though since there was such a huge amount of people waiting. I think most of these people had also taken Carnival excursions because many still had an excursion number stickered on their clothes. I also think an independent excursion would have started sooner and been back sooner.

My wife, daughter and I went on the Lamanai Mayan Ruins/New River tour on January 22, 2015. We booked with Elio of Lamanai Belize Tours several weeks before our cruise based on positive reviews and experiences. We came to Belize City on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Sea, which had to tender 4 miles off shore.

After a hectic tender process of getting to shore, Elio's driver Julian met us just as agreed outside terminal one with a sign with our name greeting us. Julian was very friendly and professional and said that we can stop the worrying and let him take care of us from here. We took a short walk to his air conditioned van where he assured us that he would have us back to the port well in time to make our last tender.

We went through Belize City and Julian was constantly giving us information about Belize and its people and culture. He was very informative. It's nice to let someone else do the driving who knows their way around, because there are some crazy drivers and scooter drivers in Belize.

The ride to the river was about 45 minutes. Upon arrival we met with Elio and another of his young helpers. Before boarding the power boat for our trip up river to Lamanai, we were able to use the restrooms and were offered bottled water for the boat trip.

As most have said, the boat ride is an excursion in itself. The day was very hot and sunny as we made our way up river winding through narrow channels and then open water with the warm wind blowing through your hair. Our boat did have a canopy on it to protect you from the sun.There is much beauty along the way, such as flora and birds. You may encounter some fisherman and will also pass a Mennonite village along the river bank.

Once we made our way to Lamanai, we stopped at the nice bathrooms. They also have souveniers for sale. Elio then led us on a hike through part of the jungle to the ruins and explained each site and the different trees and flora. We were practically by ourselves as we were ahead of the large cruise ship excursion groups that would follow.

The ruins were beautiful and we were able to climb the big temple and take pictures from high atop. They were also howler monkeys in the trees nearby. Elio also offered to take several pictures of us.

Due to time constraints of getting back to the ship, we had to depart and board the power boat for the trip back to Elio's dock. Once again, the boat ride back was a thrill all of its own and something to remember. Once back to Elio's dock, we were seated at a picnic table and treated to an awesome Belizian lunch consisting of spicy chicken, rice, beans, spicy slaw and hot sauce and bottles of Coke made with 100 % sugar cane, not the junk we get in the USA.

Again, pictures were taken and we paid Elio's father and thanked each of them for a great time and experience. Then we boarded the air conditioned van and Julian drove us back to the port terminal with about 30 minutes before our last tender.

Lamanai Belize Tours is locally run by Elio and his family. The live in Belize and know and understand the Belizian and Mayan culture.They are true professionals and take care of every detail to enhance your experience and to make certain you are back to port to make your tender.

If you want a locally run company, who is professional, timely and provides exactly what they tell you, then please skip the large cruise ship tours with 30, 40 or more people and consider Lamanai Belize Tours. You will not be disappointed, we weren't.

Racer70, what time did your ship get to port and what time did you leave? How much was the tours? Thanks!

All ships in Belize will tender off shore. I believe we got ashore around 8:30-9:00 a.m. on the 2nd tender. We returned to the dock around 2:45 p.m. or so with about 30 minutes to spare for the last tender.

Most of the Lamanai tours are between 5-7 hours long. They will adjust the length your trip based on when you get ashore and when the ship leaves. Ships arrive late all the time and people can have trouble with tenders and other stuff and "Lamanai Belize Tours" are used to this and adjust as necessary.

They are very conscious of time and nobody will miss their tender back to the ship because this is how they build their reputation.

The cost of our Mayan Lamanai trip booked thru "Lamanai Belize Tours" was $210 total for 3 people. ($70 per person with 3 or more people)No deposit is required. Check out their webpage and e-mail Elio.

Edited by Racer70

We were in Belize on the Carnival Dream on May 21. We used the Carnival excursion for Altun Ha and River Wallace. We really enjoyed this excursion.

This was one of the few times that we booked an excursion through Carnival due to the possible tightness of time. I would consider doing an independent tour if it would start earlier than our Carnival excursion (next paragraph...). I did not find a lower cost with an independent that did the same tour.

The ship's tender operation started at 8am. Our meeting time in the Encore Lounge (main lounge with stage at front of ship) was 9:30am with scheduled departure time of 9:45. The late start time made for a relaxing early morning and breakfast with few people eating late. We started towards the tender right at 9:30 but did not depart the ship until 10:15 or so.

The River Wallace boat ride was nice even with a few short rain showers. We saw interesting birds and nests, bats on the side of a tree, monkeys in the trees, crocodiles and manatees. We were somewhat rushed after the boat ride ended.

We had lunch after departing from the boats; $8 for a lunch plus $2 for a drink. Lunch offering was rice and beans with chicken and cooked plantain slice or hamburger (didn't notice if the burger came with fries or with chips).

The bus was comfortable and the road was nice until the last 10-15 minutes or so before arriving at the ruins. The ruins were great but we didn't spend much time there. Not a lot of time is needed just to see what is there and to climb but I think we were cut a little short on the talks. New bathrooms have just been completed and there was another building being worked on that I'm guessing may house a museum.

The last tender was scheduled to depart from Belize for the ship at 4:15. We arrived at about 4:30 and got in a very long line waiting for the ride to the ship. There was time to shop and buy drinks since the line was so long and the tenders were slow coming back for refill. We didn't shop and stayed in our place in line and there were quite a few people behind us. I did purchase a few beers (2 for $5) while my wife held our place in line. Several tenders arrived and loaded while we waited. We loaded on a very large double-decker boat which ended up being the last tender back to the Dream as everyone behind us made it onboard. I think we made it back to the ship at around 5:45 (sail away was scheduled for 5pm).

If I had been on an indepent tour I would have been very nervous on the bus ride as we wound threw the city with 4:15 fast approaching and finally arriving at the dock after that. I don't think it would have mattered though since there was such a huge amount of people waiting. I think most of these people had also taken Carnival excursions because many still had an excursion number stickered on their clothes. I also think an independent excursion would have started sooner and been back sooner.

Thank you for the info. We will be taking this tour in October. One question I have. Do you know if it is possible to take an earlier tender ashore and meet the tour group later. We would like to do some shopping and are afraid that there wouldn't be time at the end. Thanks.

Thank you for the info. We will be taking this tour in October. One question I have. Do you know if it is possible to take an earlier tender ashore and meet the tour group later. We would like to do some shopping and are afraid that there wouldn't be time at the end. Thanks.

This crossed my mind after our tour...

When we exited the tender onto the dock there was a person holding up a sign for our Carnival tour. All you would have to do is be on the lookout during the proper time if you tendered over on your own.

I don't know how many people were on our tour in general. When we were waiting to board the tender from the ship, there appeared to be a lot of people in front of us who got in line when our tour number was called (wife was in bathroom so we were near the end of the line). I think there were some from our group that boarded one excursion tender and it pulled out before we got on our tender.

When we made it to the dock, there were very few people ahead of us and our tour "sub-group" consisted of about 20 people. We had our own guides, boat, and bus for this sub-group. There is a little storage space under the seats on the boat and space in the bus so if you don't buy too much volume while shopping you will have room.

We did not have Faster to the Fun (FTTF) or any other tender boarding priority and we just stuck with the excursion plan from the start. I don't know how difficult getting a tender was for others. When we visited Belize on Carnival in 2008, we had an independent tour and got an excursion sticker from Carnival so we made it over pretty early. I don't know if this can still be done for independent tours. On the Dream for our recent visit, there was a different waiting area and tender boarding platform for non-excursion (maybe non-Carnival-excursion?) folks. I'm guessing Carnival attempts to keep their excursion guests together from the start to avoid confusion and to ensure folks can get a tender to meet the schedule. I don't think it would be tough to get over early; maybe others can comment or there is some better information in other threads regarding tendering of the masses.

Edited by day-day
typo

This crossed my mind after our tour...

When we exited the tender onto the dock there was a person holding up a sign for our Carnival tour. All you would have to do is be on the lookout during the proper time if you tendered over on your own.

I don't know how many people were on our tour in general. When we were waiting to board the tender from the ship, there appeared to be a lot of people in front of us who got in line when our tour number was called (wife was in bathroom so we were near the end of the line). I think there were some from our group that boarded one excursion tender and it pulled out before we got on our tender.

When we made it to the dock, there were very few people ahead of us and our tour "sub-group" consisted of about 20 people. We had our own guides, boat, and bus for this sub-group. There is a little storage space under the seats on the boat and space in the bus so if you don't buy too much volume while shopping you will have room.

We did not have Faster to the Fun (FTTF) or any other tender boarding priority and we just stuck with the excursion plan from the start. I don't know how difficult getting a tender was for others. When we visited Belize on Carnival in 2008, we had an independent tour and got an excursion sticker from Carnival so we made it over pretty early. I don't know if this can still be done for independent tours. On the Dream for our recent visit, there was a different waiting area and tender boarding platform for non-excursion (maybe non-Carnival-excursion?) folks. I'm guessing Carnival attempts to keep their excursion guests together from the start to avoid confusion and to ensure folks can get a tender to meet the schedule. I don't think it would be tough to get over early; maybe others can comment or there is some better information in other threads regarding tendering of the masses.

Thank you very much for the info. I think anything we buy would fit in my backpack. We had FTTF for our last trip to Grand Cayman and we were off on the first tender. We had an independent tour that time.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, can you tell me how difficult is the walk up to the ruins. Is it a fairly smooth dirt trail or is it very rocky and uneven? My DH had spinal fusion 3 weeks ago and while his doctor has said he should still be able to go on the cruise, he shouldn't go extreme hiking.

thank you for any help you can give.

My wife, daughter and I went on the Lamanai Mayan Ruins/New River tour on January 22, 2015. We booked with Elio of Lamanai Belize Tours several weeks before our cruise based on positive reviews and experiences. We came to Belize City on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Sea, which had to tender 4 miles off shore.

After a hectic tender process of getting to shore, Elio's driver Julian met us just as agreed outside terminal one with a sign with our name greeting us. Julian was very friendly and professional and said that we can stop the worrying and let him take care of us from here. We took a short walk to his air conditioned van where he assured us that he would have us back to the port well in time to make our last tender.

We went through Belize City and Julian was constantly giving us information about Belize and its people and culture. He was very informative. It's nice to let someone else do the driving who knows their way around, because there are some crazy drivers and scooter drivers in Belize.

The ride to the river was about 45 minutes. Upon arrival we met with Elio and another of his young helpers. Before boarding the power boat for our trip up river to Lamanai, we were able to use the restrooms and were offered bottled water for the boat trip.

As most have said, the boat ride is an excursion in itself. The day was very hot and sunny as we made our way up river winding through narrow channels and then open water with the warm wind blowing through your hair. Our boat did have a canopy on it to protect you from the sun.There is much beauty along the way, such as flora and birds. You may encounter some fisherman and will also pass a Mennonite village along the river bank.

Once we made our way to Lamanai, we stopped at the nice bathrooms. They also have souveniers for sale. Elio then led us on a hike through part of the jungle to the ruins and explained each site and the different trees and flora. We were practically by ourselves as we were ahead of the large cruise ship excursion groups that would follow.

The ruins were beautiful and we were able to climb the big temple and take pictures from high atop. They were also howler monkeys in the trees nearby. Elio also offered to take several pictures of us.

Due to time constraints of getting back to the ship, we had to depart and board the power boat for the trip back to Elio's dock. Once again, the boat ride back was a thrill all of its own and something to remember. Once back to Elio's dock, we were seated at a picnic table and treated to an awesome Belizian lunch consisting of spicy chicken, rice, beans, spicy slaw and hot sauce and bottles of Coke made with 100 % sugar cane, not the junk we get in the USA.

Again, pictures were taken and we paid Elio's father and thanked each of them for a great time and experience. Then we boarded the air conditioned van and Julian drove us back to the port terminal with about 30 minutes before our last tender.

Lamanai Belize Tours is locally run by Elio and his family. The live in Belize and know and understand the Belizian and Mayan culture.They are true professionals and take care of every detail to enhance your experience and to make certain you are back to port to make your tender.

If you want a locally run company, who is professional, timely and provides exactly what they tell you, then please skip the large cruise ship tours with 30, 40 or more people and consider Lamanai Belize Tours. You will not be disappointed, we weren't.

Hi, can you tell me how difficult is the walk up to the ruins. Is it a fairly smooth dirt trail or is it very rocky and uneven? My DH had spinal fusion 3 weeks ago and while his doctor has said he should still be able to go on the cruise, he shouldn't go extreme hiking.

Generally speaking, if you are visiting the ruins at Lamanai, the grounds are fairly easy to walk. There are no serious hills or trails to climb, although there are some elevation changes as you visit different ruins and it is of course a walking tour. However, the 45 minute boat ride is very fast and could pose a problem if your husband has problems sitting for long periods of time.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

We are going to Belize on our NCL Star cruise in January, 2016.

NCL offers tours for both Mayan sites. Not sure which one we will take. It seems that Lamanai is a longer trip and farther from the city than Altun Ha.

Lamanai might be a bit more impressive to see.

Here are NCL's tours. I usually take private tours, but with tendering you get off the ship sooner on a ship's tour and the ship won't leave you if you are late.

Lamanai Ruins & River Safari

Adult Pricing From

$ 119.00 Estimated Duration

7 hours

An approximate 45 minute drive up the Northern Highway brings you to Tower Hill, where you'll board a riverboat and head up the New River. While navigating the many little creeks and lagoons, you may encounter hawks, kites and falcons. Dainty jacanas lightly walk on the lily pads while crocodiles bask in the sunlight. At the entrance to the New River Lagoon, the ruins of Lamanai, Mayan for "submerged crocodile" rise into view.

As you tour the site, huge masks depicting dead rulers and gods seem to materialize out of the rainforest, amid the chatter of birds and the haunting call of the howler monkeys. After your tour of Lamanai it is time to head downriver to Tower Hill for a lunch buffet of Belizean and Mayan favorites. Following lunch, you'll board a coach bound for the Belize City docks, where you'll board your tender to go back to the ship.

Altun Ha & The Olde Belize River

Adult Pricing From

$ 99.00 Estimated Duration

6 hours

Enjoy a quaint river cruise on a semi-covered river boat on the historic Belize River. Keep your eyes out for manatees, crocodiles, howler monkeys, iguanas and a wide variety of birds in their natural habitat. At the end of the river tour savor a delicious Belizean lunch at Olde River Tavern Restaurant.

Later, board an air conditioned tour bus continuing on to the ancient Mayan city of Altun Ha where the famous Jade Head of Kinich Ahau was discovered. This once striving city and trade center comprises 13 structures, including the Temple of the Masonry Altar or Sun God Temple that surrounds two plazas. Your tour guide will share a brief history and culture of Belize during the bus transfer.

Note: Participants must be at least 4 years of age. Guests in wheelchairs, those with physical limitations, and pregnant women are not permitted to participate. Boats are semi-covered with some areas exposed to the elements, please plan accordingly. Wear comfortable sturdy close-toed shoes. We recommend that you wear a hat and bring insect repellant. If needed ponchos are available for purchase on tour boat. This tour is operated where group.

Both tours include a lunch. Still not sure which one to take.

We are going to Belize on our NCL Star cruise in January, 2016.

NCL offers tours for both Mayan sites. Not sure which one we will take. It seems that Lamanai is a longer trip and farther from the city than Altun Ha.

Lamanai might be a bit more impressive to see.

Both tours include a lunch. Still not sure which one to take.

Haven't been to Altun Ha. I'm sure it's worth seeing.

But, Lamanai is exceptional. Taking a ship's tour should eliminate any worry about getting left behind.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Royal Caribbean out of Galveston the week of June 7th, and we took the ship-sponsored New River and Lamanaii ruins tour. We loved it, the bus ride wasn't bad (about a hour each way) and the boat ride on the river was a treat by itself! The ruins are impressive, and the feel is very much jungle-ly. It was a great tour.

We are considering another cruise with some friends next April, on Carnival this time. They'd like to take this same tour but so far I've been unable to find it on their tour offerings listing.

Has anyone on the boards taken this tour as a Carnival-sponsored shore excursion? If so, can you tell me how it's titled so I can find it?

Thanks in advance!

We were on Royal Caribbean out of Galveston the week of June 7th, and we took the ship-sponsored New River and Lamanaii ruins tour. We loved it, the bus ride wasn't bad (about a hour each way) and the boat ride on the river was a treat by itself! The ruins are impressive, and the feel is very much jungle-ly. It was a great tour.

We are considering another cruise with some friends next April, on Carnival this time. They'd like to take this same tour but so far I've been unable to find it on their tour offerings listing.

Has anyone on the boards taken this tour as a Carnival-sponsored shore excursion? If so, can you tell me how it's titled so I can find it?

Thanks in advance!

Carnival does not do a Lamanai excursion. I decided to give it a whirl with Elio.

• 4 weeks later...
JAGheel, I'm curious, have you gone on this yet? I would love to know how this turned out for you. Thanks!

Not yet, my cruise sets sail on the 29th. I'll let you know once I get back.