SIL needs to cancel, MIL still wants to come

KatieBug28

So my family is facing a kind of weird cancellation question, so I wanted to ask all of you to get some idea of what to expect when we call Carnival.

Here's the issue:We have an extended family cruise booked for October. My mother in law and sister in law were planning on sharing a cabin. But SIL forgot to ask for the time off of work, and now can't get it off, so she needs to cancel. But my MIL still wants to come, but she can't afford to pay the double fare for the cabin. So here are my questions:

Can my SIL cancel just her portion of the booking, or will it cancel my MIL's booking too?

What will SIL owe? I think at least the $50, but does the rest of her deposit go to a future cruise?

Can we move my DD6 over into the cabin with my MIL so she isn't paying the double fare? Will that cost us the $50 change fee as well?

As you can see, this is a total mess! So annoyed that SIL didn't get the time off back when we booked! Anyway, sorry to rant. Any help you guys have would be most appreciated. I don't have any experience canceling just one person on the booking!

So my family is facing a kind of weird cancellation question, so I wanted to ask all of you to get some idea of what to expect when we call Carnival.

Here's the issue:We have an extended family cruise booked for October. My mother in law and sister in law were planning on sharing a cabin. But SIL forgot to ask for the time off of work, and now can't get it off, so she needs to cancel. But my MIL still wants to come, but she can't afford to pay the double fare for the cabin. So here are my questions:

Can my SIL cancel just her portion of the booking, or will it cancel my MIL's booking too?

What will SIL owe? I think at least the $50, but does the rest of her deposit go to a future cruise?

Can we move my DD6 over into the cabin with my MIL so she isn't paying the double fare? Will that cost us the $50 change fee as well?

As you can see, this is a total mess! So annoyed that SIL didn't get the time off back when we booked! Anyway, sorry to rant. Any help you guys have would be most appreciated. I don't have any experience canceling just one person on the booking!

The answer to your questions depends on what rate type the affected parties booked under. Do you know their rate type? The answers could be very different depending on the answer to that for each affected guest.

When is the cruise?

If not Early Saver....

What kind of cabin is SIL in?

MIL could take over her booking. If the cruise is close the fares might be higher than just leaving everything in place.

DD could go to MIL's cabin without officially changing her. If you move DD to her cabin they might require you to move out of yours because of occupancy issues.

The price of her fare is based on double occupancy so I can't think of any way to fix this without someone paying more. Even if you put your dd with her, your daughters fare will probably be higher since I assume that she's booked as a third person in your cabin? If your mil goes alone, the rate will be double. If it's an early savor, there will be penalties for anything you change. The very easiest thing is to find someone else who wants to go, if that's possible.

You can call Carnival and see what they suggest for you. If you don't like the first answer, try calling back. You often get different answers from them. This just happened to me recently. I replaced one person with another in my cabin and the first rep told me I had to pay current rates for the new person. Called back 2 days later and the second rep emailed her supervisor while I was on the phone and got permission to give it to me at the original rate, a substantial difference.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry, I thought I had mentioned that we were all Early Saver, but I must have erased it. All the impacted parties are early saver.

I'm thinking we'll have to just call the PVP who helped us and see what she says. And like you said, if we don't like the answer, we'll try calling again!

I'm so sorry, I thought I had mentioned that we were all Early Saver, but I must have erased it. All the impacted parties are early saver.

I'm thinking we'll have to just call the PVP who helped us and see what she says. And like you said, if we don't like the answer, we'll try calling again!

Calling again on this one, wont change things. If you sil cancels and your mil goes alone, mil will now pay double occupancy. sil will get 50 refund . She wll get the remainder of the deposit as a credit to use on a future cruise within 2 years.

If you move the dd, the rate will be spit between mil and dd. So paying for the dd, on whatever the current rate is. For instance , if that es rate went up, dd will have to pay the higher. I did something like this once. On the cabin that she is moved from your cabin, if it is a three person cabin, you may be moved to a double occupancy cabin. Your rate will be adjusted to the two person price . The per person price will go up. And if the rate is now higher, it will change to that rate.

Check with your pvp to get pricing and any other questions you have answered. Hope it all works out for you :)

Edited by cruzn buckeye

Here's a thought: move your daughter to your mother-in-law's cabin so that she doesn't get stuck paying the double occupancy rate, and then make your sister-in-law reimburse everyone for the change fees and any difference in price that you are now stuck paying due to your daughter being the second person in a cabin instead of the third. I mean, who the heck doesn't ask for the time off *before* booking a cruise?

The next thought is - Is MIL willing to pay the difference of your daughters fare and what she is being charged now? It would be less that full double occupancy but might be small enough to allow the MIL to still go on the booking. The next concern you would have is if you move your daughter out of your cabin they may want to move you to a 2 person cabin instead of a 3 person...

This may not be preferred but is a something to consider. MIL could room with your family. I had to rearrange room assignments recently for family booked under ES, same basic setup as you. 1 person was dropped and the remaining 4 were moved to a larger capacity cabin, only incurring a $50 penatly. That was essentially the dropped person's deposit. Due to the current rate, the overall fare became less for all occupants.

We had a similar issue. We had ES so we lost our deposit for the person cancelling but they transferred from one room to another without penalty

You may already know this, but just in case, you didn't actually lose your deposit if you booked outside of the penalty phase. With Early Saver you lose 50 of your deposit and the rest is a credit to be used within 2 years on a future cruise. There is also an Easy Saver rate... at least there used to be... if that is what you booked, yes your deposit is lost.:)

How about Travel insurance? did you get it? Check an outside company and see if you can still purchase it for SIL.... This is why I always get insurance, my husband last minute couldn't travel with me in a MS I got to keep my room, pay no extra charges and recieved full payment back from insurance company.

Another thing to consider is that it may turn out to be less expensive to No Show the sister in law.

If it is less not to cancel her, then do not tell Carnival that she is not coming.

Even at check in say that she is traveling separately and is apparently running late.

Edited by mzloolue

Here's a thought: move your daughter to your mother-in-law's cabin so that she doesn't get stuck paying the double occupancy rate, and then make your sister-in-law reimburse everyone for the change fees and any difference in price that you are now stuck paying due to your daughter being the second person in a cabin instead of the third. I mean, who the heck doesn't ask for the time off *before* booking a cruise?

I think this is probably what we are going to do. And yes, I am so mad that she didn't get the time off! Particularly since she was the one who insisted on October (my DD will have to miss 3 days of school). Oh well! We'll all still have a great time!

The occupancy question isn't an issue for this cruise, but thank you for everyone who pointed it out! We have another DD(2), who will still be with DH and I. But since it isn't during peak season, our PVP said they'll allow smaller groups to book cabins for a larger group. I'd totally just add MIL to our room if we weren't already at capacity, but I think moving older DD is the best option.

Does anyone know if SIL can use her future cruise credit to just pay off the difference between DD's 3rd passenger fare and the upgrade to 2nd passenger? Or does she have to use it on herself on a future cruise? We don't have any plans to cruise as a family in the next few years (we're every 3-4 year folks), and SIL doesn't really have anyone else she travels with.

I think this is probably what we are going to do. And yes, I am so mad that she didn't get the time off! Particularly since she was the one who insisted on October (my DD will have to miss 3 days of school). Oh well! We'll all still have a great time!

The occupancy question isn't an issue for this cruise, but thank you for everyone who pointed it out! We have another DD(2), who will still be with DH and I. But since it isn't during peak season, our PVP said they'll allow smaller groups to book cabins for a larger group. I'd totally just add MIL to our room if we weren't already at capacity, but I think moving older DD is the best option.

Does anyone know if SIL can use her future cruise credit to just pay off the difference between DD's 3rd passenger fare and the upgrade to 2nd passenger? Or does she have to use it on herself on a future cruise? We don't have any plans to cruise as a family in the next few years (we're every 3-4 year folks), and SIL doesn't really have anyone else she travels with.

no, she cannot apply it to this cruise. With Early Saver, she will get 50 of her deposit refunded to her, and the rest of the deposit will be a credit she can use within 24 months on herself. There is one exception that i have found, i paid the deposit for someone else(an ex)in my cabin that had to cancel, i had to fill the form out, and prove with my bank statement,that i paid the deposit. Then they did transfer that credit to me, for a future cruise credit. So, is someone else paid her deposit, and can prove it, that is how it would work. But i was not allowed to use it on the same cruise.

Edited by cruzn buckeye

no, she cannot apply it to this cruise. With Early Saver, she will get 50 of her deposit refunded to her, and the rest of the deposit will be a credit she can use within 24 months on herself. There is one exception that i have found, i paid the deposit for someone else(an ex)in my cabin that had to cancel, i had to fill the form out, and prove with my bank statement,that i paid the deposit. Then they did transfer that credit to me, for a future cruise credit. So, is someone else paid her deposit, and can prove it, that is how it would work. But i was not allowed to use it on the same cruise.

I have a similar situation to you, buckeye. This past Mar, I had 3 cabins reserved on CCL Magic for me and DW, 2x DD, 2x SIL and 2 grandsons, 8 altogether. All deposits were on my CC. One couple decided to cancel before final payment on Dec 24, 2014.

I was charged $50 of the $250 deposit for the 2 cancelations and was told the remaining $200 x 2 could be applied toward another cruise within 2 yrs. Since I used my CC for the deposit, I would be able to use the credit.

Now, I've been waiting nearly a month for my $400 in deposits to be applied to my November 28th cruise. I did the claim form online on April 27th. I called on May 5th and again on the 16th. Each time, the PVP filled out the form again and said to expect results in 48 to 72 hours. I haven't heard a word from CCL. No call, no email.

I can provide the CC statement if they would ask me for it. What did you do differently that I didn't do?

I now see the credit on my invoice. Rather, the total owed is $400 less but it doesn't say where it came from. Must be my $400 credit, right. I also see my OBC is only showing $50. Where is my $100 onboard booking bonus? It was there before. If it's not one thing, it's another.

She won't get $50 refunded. $50 is the penalty that Carnival keeps. the rest is held as a credit to be used later.