Smoking on Balconies

thebts

I won't be making a face or snide remarks but when the ladies' room on the pool deck is immediately adjacent to the smoking area, I do hold l my breath while walking through the area!

Exactly, if only smoke confined itself to the immediate area, sadly it doesn't!

I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke at all, I grew up in a house of smokers and though I have never smoked in my life, I suffer with chest problems as a consequence of that! I make no excuses for being anti smoking, I suffer daily because of it and lost both my parents as a consequence of it.

• 1 month later...
We were on Riviera recently and experienced someone on an adjacent balcony smoking. We never did figure out what balcony it came from and nor did the security officers nor cabin staff discover the culprit either. Suffice to say it was a terrible experience to open the sliding doors intending for a leisurely time on the balcony only to have to come inside again. After several days of this we were moved to the other side of the ship. What a hassle! Repack and unpack for a second time.

My question, do you think Oceania should have compensated us? (they refused)

I'm just curious, which cabin were you in? We were in 7008 on Riviera a couple of weeks ago and smelled smoke on our balcony too. I reported it several times; people came to investigate but nothing was done. Thinking about it now, we wonder if it came from the crew area since we had a similar issue on a Silversea cruise once.

Yeah - all this time I thought I was the only rude and selfish one around but it appears that there are one or two who don't understand that that style of behavior should only be used (sparingly, lest it lose effect) to irritate one or two people who really deserve it, not the entire population.

Having said that, even I only smoke in the "international lounge," starboard on the pool deck. It's actually a great place to meet some pretty interesting fellow passengers and crew members.

Ka Hanu, I agree with you 100%! I've met some of the most interesting folks in the smoking corners on board ships. Even my sister, a non-smoker likes to join me for the entertaining and informative conversations there! :)

All this talk about smoking is really beating a dead horse. Oceania has a good smoking policy IMO. A cruise could be said to support many addictions such as eating too much, gambling, drinking too much and smoking in public. All of these can harm bystanders and family members. Each person needs to understand the personal risk and decide if a trip onboard is for them.