Chair Hogging..not just for cruises

barbon2

Hi,

Just thought I would post this observation that I made. Over the Labor Day Weekend, we were in Disney, and went to the pool in the afternoon. I noticed rows and rows of chairs with towels, but not many people sitting in them. I took particular notice of this because of all of the "chair hogging" posts, and it seems that this practice is not limited to just cruises. Many chairs were occupied with just towels for the entire time we were there, and after a few hours they were picked up by the pool attendants. So it is just not on ships where these hogs lurk, they even present themselves in the Land of Magic!!

Barbara

We live near Tucson, and so every so often we'll take advantage of the Westin La Paloma's weekend specials for Arizonans and spend the weekend there. The pool area is pretty crowded and there were lots ot chairs with only towels.

They have signs up about the attendant putting your belongings away

We spent a Monday night there a few weeks ago to to attend a wine tasting, but luckily it was so sparse on the week day that we pretty much had the pool area to ourselves.

We also spent a week at Disney World this year and found our selves relegated to chairs in the bar rather than the deck chairs by the pool. After a few of the chocolate ice cream kalua drinks we didn't really care though.

I've been to several all-inclusive resorts and at every one of them we had the same chair-hog issues. It became survival of the fitest! We had to get up at 630 or 700 am on vacation just to get a chair. Drove me crazy, but i go on vacation to relax, read a book, and have drinks in a chair by the pool.

I still have no idea how someone can think they own/or have rights to something that really isn't theirs! Since when is a towel or cheap paperback a legal binding deed to ownership rights of a chair. I guess no one ever had to lay their towel on the concrete by the pool. Geez.

I read an article a while back in Conde' Nast Traveler where they talked about spending a week at one of the super-nice expensive resorts in Hawaii -- the kind of place where even the movie stars stay. And sure enough, there were chair hogs there: the article talked about how people would send their nannies out at 5:30am to claim chairs by the pool for the family. This is ridiculous.

I've been to several all-inclusive resorts and at every one of them we had the same chair-hog issues. It became survival of the fitest! We had to get up at 630 or 700 am on vacation just to get a chair. Drove me crazy, but i go on vacation to relax, read a book, and have drinks in a chair by the pool.

See it is a vicious circle, and now you are part of the problem ....your getting up at 6:30 to save a chair!

Archived