Athens Tour Guides

Evelyn,

I have Marcello for the Amalfi Coast and have booked Limoinrome for Florence and Rome. Claudio was not available but he referred his partner (and friend). We'll see how it goes. We have teamed up with Star58 (a party of four) so these tours are saving us at least half of what it would cost to do the Princess tours.

By the way I've sent you emails for a time to meet on board. Hope you can make it. It will be nice to meet some of the folks on this board.

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaslgv:

Originally posted by Ditome:

Hello...I also have a tour booked with him for the June 14the sailing...He said he would meet us at ship....after hearing others were booked with him...I emailed him and asked him if he had other driver and his response was everything is confirmed I will see you at the ship. Interesting now that all seem to be getting same message. What's Up!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Ditome!

OK, now this post has my attention.....are you sailing on the Milli leaving Venice June 14th and booked spiros for the 18th of June??

YES this is correct ....same sailing and same driver and date!!! Interesting...what do you think?

Okay, now you ALL have my attention! For those who have been to Athens, is it easier to have a tour guide, or do it on your own? With the short time we are in port I don't want to waste time searching for places, but I also don't what to hire just a driver for the cost of a tour.

I took a tour with Spiros. He is very professional (actually he is GREAT) . The man cannot possibly cover everyone. I've heard from fellow cruisers that he has professional drivers and they do the job as good as he does.

I think the drivers are not tour guides but they explain to you a few things. That is what he emphasizes in his email and that is what I was expecting.

Spiros has received many good reviews on the net and I don't think this minor incident is a problem. The man has been in the business for so many years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ECBoca2:

Regarding Spiros ( drivers in Athens) we

were under the impression that we were to get a tour of the Acropolis - instead they drive and drop you off in the crowd and you are on your own.They wait for you and then drive you out of the city to a restaurant for lunch - nice on the water. A stop at the Plaka to shop.

If this is what you want to do - you will not get a "guided" tour - you will be getting a driver.

Spiros is a one man band. He wrote us for weeks and said he would personally take us around and when we got off the ship he had another "driver" assigned to us and took other passengers who we know wrote to him after we did.

We were very upset and he knew it. He had his car follow ours and we met at the restaurant.

We told him we didn't like the way he did business. If he was switching he should have informed us.

Lucky for us the driver we had, Dimitris Vakirizis, was much better than Spiros. If I had to do it again I wouldn't hire a taxi but a real guide.

Eileen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We also had Spiros as a tour guide/driver in April. We were very pleased with him. He was very personable & knowledgeable of the sites we visited. Ancient Corinth, Corinth Canal, Mycenae, Acropolis, Athens, ect. We had a full 10 hours with him and could not have asked for a better day. He was patient and flexable to our wants and needs. Good luck and enjoy, who ever you choose.

ECBoca2,

After reading your and ewong's emails, I contacted Spiros. He got back to me with the news that he was assigning Dimitris for our party. Sounds like you enjoyed him as a driver, so we could have done worse.

I have cautioned Spiros about leading people to believe that he was pesonally driving them and then substituting another.

Other drivers that weren't available let me know up front that they were assigning someone else so that I had the choice to book them or not. Since I didn't find out about Spiros until recently, I don't have time to line up another driver. So I was greatful to have the knowledge in advance, that your experience with Dimitris was positive.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Spiros called me this morning and clarified that he would not be driving us around as we were not the first person reserving him for the day. There are 5 bookings in total for that day. He reassured me that his drivers are all professional and that I should not change my mind base on the bad experience of one client.

Cactusrose,

Thank you for your update. I have been very nervous about the talk about double booking also. After reading your reply I also contacted Spiros - and have decided to keep my original plans with him. Have using of the internet is great - but like you said - speaking to individuals can clear up things and put your mind at ease.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;14;12;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Mediterranean Here We Come

I am so glad you were able to get Dimitris. By the way he wouldn't accept a tip!

Make sure when he picks you up you tell him what you want to do that day -

Even though it may be hot try to go the the Acropolis in the afternoon. at 8:30 A.M. it is mobbed.

If you want to do any shopping ( good in Athens) let him know.

Lunch takes a long time - lovely if you have already been to Athens, perhaps other sights you might want to see more - let him know.

Also if you won't have a guide at the Acropolis have him tell you about what you will see before you buy your tickets.

There is an exchange booth near the ticket counter but they want a Passport ( which Princess held the whole trip) or your driving lic.to get Euros which you will need to pay him.

Hope this helps!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark73:

I took a tour with Spiros. He is very professional (actually he is GREAT) . The man cannot possibly cover everyone. I've heard from fellow cruisers that he has professional drivers and they do the job as good as he does.

I think the drivers are not tour guides but they explain to you a few things. That is what he emphasizes in his email and that is what I was expecting.

Spiros has received many good reviews on the net and I don't think this minor incident is a problem. The man has been in the business for so many years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ECBoca2:

Regarding Spiros ( drivers in Athens) we

were under the impression that we were to get a tour of the Acropolis - instead they drive and drop you off in the crowd and you are on your own.They wait for you and then drive you out of the city to a restaurant for lunch - nice on the water. A stop at the Plaka to shop.

If this is what you want to do - you will not get a "guided" tour - you will be getting a driver.

Spiros is a one man band. He wrote us for weeks and said he would personally take us around and when we got off the ship he had another "driver" assigned to us and took other passengers who we know wrote to him after we did.

We were very upset and he knew it. He had his car follow ours and we met at the restaurant.

We told him we didn't like the way he did business. If he was switching he should have informed us.

Lucky for us the driver we had, Dimitris Vakirizis, was much better than Spiros. If I had to do it again I wouldn't hire a taxi but a real guide.

Eileen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We toured with Spiros in Athens on the same day as the person who wrote to complain about his "switching" drivers. From what he told us, he felt the other driver was as good as he and, in fact, the other person did say that her driver was terrific. I think Spiros had no intention of not accommodating all of us. I'm sure this will not happen again. In my opinion, Spiros did the best he could for all concerned. And his website is "Athens TAXI" (my capitalization), Doris Baker

I felt compelled to respond to Doris Baker's post concerning Spiros. I had booked with him back in early March for an April date. This was long before Doris Baker was even in the picture. She actually learned of Spiros throught another Eileen who shared the tour with me. When I heard that there might be a possibility that Spiros was going to take on another booking for himself, I immediately e-mailed him to question his actions. He explained to me that there was nothing to worry about, and that he was arranging for another guide for the Baker party, and that I could be assured that he would be our guide. Well, lo and behold, the day of the tour arrived, and Spiros was not there to greet us. His substitute, Dimitriusw V. instead met with us, not that I had any problem with him, because he turned out to be excellent, and went out of his way for us on several occasions. What I am annoyed about, are Spiros' business tactics. How do you promise a future client that he will be there for you, and then not show up; but rather take the other client that you specifically wrote to him about? This is not the kind of businessman I would choose to hire in the future. For anyone out there who might be considering hiring Spiros, I would consider other possibilities, knowing that what happened to me could happen to you as well. If he is capable of being deceitful in this instance, then he is capable of being deceitful in other ways. Nonetheless, I would rather hire someone who I would feel comfortable that I could trust. Just a word to the wise!

Eileen Unold

I think there's a reality check in all this somewhere. With cruise ships disgorging thousands of passengers on any given day, and a finite number of guides/drivers available, it's pretty unreasonable to always expect to get the main person. I would also assume, for the sake of his business (Word of mouth being important as is evidenced by this web site), that anyone he assigns to a group would provide good service.

Mike and Mary

7/8 Venice to Barcelona - Retirement Reward

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;8;15;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Mikemary 945,

It isn't a matter or expecting the main person unless you are told that that person will be driving you. The point made is that Spiros emails all said that HE would be driving and He would meet us at the dock. It wasn't until I emailed him about this that he fessed up and said he had assigned another driver. I contacted other drivers in different ports who when they were not personally available, said so and offered to provide another driver. This has been fine with me as I agree, the service should be the same.

It just isn't a very ethical practice.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I am booked with Spiros for July 6 (Crystal Serenity). A month ago I asked him specifically if he will be our driver. I got back an email that stated in no uncertain terms, "I will be your driver."

After reading this whole thread I am wondering if this is true, and I thought about cancelling...but then I thought about it some more...why do that when every single one of his drivers has gotten a great review somewhere on this site? In fact, I have heard nothing bad about Spiros and his business.

So I'm not worried and am expecting to have a fabulous time!!

So many of us are booked with Spiros (or his company) in early June. People who have him booked later, will really benefit from all of our comments when we return. I'm sure we will all have a lovely time.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I too am booked with Spiros on June 2nd. That is at least 3 groups of us. From his website and from his e-mail response, I thought I was the only one booked with him on that day.

It would have been nice to know because I was expecting to meet the yellow Mercedes Benz. If you read the web site it specifically states that you will be riding in his 2003 yellow Mercedes Benz with air conditioning. It does say he will meet you at the dock. I agree that this is very misleading.

Star Princess-Mediterranean 5/28/04
Navigator - W Caribbean 6/03
Adventurer -S Caribbean 6/02
Explorer - E Caribbean 5/01
NCL - Caribbean 11/78

We're just back from the May 4th sailing of the Star Princess and had also prebooked with another couple with Spiros, for an all day tour of Athens and Sounion, with lunch...
Needless to say that once docked, we found that Spiros was nowhere to be found and had an alternate driver, John drive us instead. First, John told us that Spiros was asked to be a godfather and was called away that day. Later in the tour, we were informed Spiros was on another (presumably more lucrative) job...
In any case, John turned out to be a terrific driver and guided us everywhere, including a less expensive out of the way supermkt., in order to purchase the Ouzo we wanted. He was knowledgeable and funny and I would highly recommend him. Was it bait and switch?-to be sure--BUT, we ended up having a better time with John than those who went with Spiros!
Please note that the cost of lunch and a tip for your driver, is not included and it is customary to include your driver when you are seated for lunch. The restaurant at Sounion was very good, with enough variety to please all. We took all the time needed afterwards, to visit the Temple of Poseidon, which is perched just above the restaurant and definitely worth the trip... John took us to an old monastery, the acropolis, the highest point above Athens for a scenic overlook, the plaka for shopping, both the old olympic and new sites, changing of the guard, all the important bldgs in Athens, etc...He did not guide us through the acropolis or temple of poseidon, but it is quite easy to stand alongside other mass tours and pick up whatever insight you require.
Spiros obviously has a very good network of drivers who pinch hit for him and while his ethics might be in question, you actually might end up with someone whose English is excellent and whose demeanor is w/o reproach. Don't hesitate...

Meg:
let me know how Paul is. I am booked with him on my 7/13 cruise. from his e-mails, he seems pretty good. you can e-mail me direct at [email]bnkrpzlawr@cox.net[/email].
Thanks
Jeff
\<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meg9020:
JASLGV

I also booked with Sprios for June 18th - I did this about two months ago - After reading all these messages about him double booking - I have now booked Paul from Greek taxi. I find it disheartening that you are confirmed with someone only to have the possibility of being switched as the last minute.

[url="http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;14;12;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200"]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;14;12;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200[/url]
Mediterranean Here We Come
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Andee, we had Petros Petrou for our tour of Athens. He was a very pleasant and enthusiastic narrater; and a hardworking person with a big heart... He also brought a small illustrated history book of Athens with him to help him narrate accurately. His fee for the 8 hour tour was the lowest of all our tour guides on our Mediterranean trip (240 euros plus tip; as compared to the 500-675 euros we paid elsewhere). Yet, we had a very pleasant and informative day. the best way to reach him is by phone: 011 30 6944322679; During our tour with him, Petros indicated that he was in the process of personally taking over the e-mail services, as the person handling his e mails was not reliable in relaying e-mails to him or in replying to potential clients...See my previous post "Back from the Millie Maniacs Medditeranean cruise, any questions" for info on guides at the other ports or for other questions...
"Kim "ltgl"

Archived