Food Policy on recent Pearl cruise

CAMONYPA

Just got off the Pearl today. It was our first cruise with Norwegian (most of our previous cruises have been with Princess) as well as our first cruise with children (ages 15 months and 35 months). I will try to write more about our experience later, but I wanted to post about the food policy as we experienced it since it has been such a hot topic here.

Enforcement of the food policy was inconsistent during the cruise. I don't think there was any enforcement at the buffet, but the staff there was probably overwhelmed because due to norovirus concerns, there was no self service in the buffets during the entire cruise. We were able to bring cereal and milk back to our room without issue and I saw others bringing out plates of food without being stopped.

Enforcement in the restaurants was stricter. We had the ultimate dining package as part of our booking promo. We knew that restaurants would be a challenge with the kids, and we were prepared to take them outside if they became loud enough to disturb those around us. A couple times, the baby acted up during the main course. One time, the waiter offered to box up my food as I prepared to leave. The other time, we were told they could not do the food to go so we ended up eating our main course in shifts. Because of the baby, I planned on skipping desert most nights, but I did ask about the possibility of getting desert to go a few times just to see what the staff would say. I got three different responses. Once, it was offered to go. The other time, I was told that I could come back to the restaurant for desert at a later time but I couldn't get it to go. The third time, they told me that I couldn't go it to go but offered to rush desert to me (I declined because I didn't want the baby's fussiness to escalate). Another couple with young kids that we met on the cruise reported a similar experience.

Anyway, I could see the new food policy being an issue for families with children. Like it or not, people are going to bring children to restaurants for dinner on a cruise. If the policy is strictly enforced, then I could see some uncomfortable situations arising where either parents are angry about not getting to eat a meal that they paid for so that they can take their fussy children outside early to avoid disturbing others or other diners get upset because there is a fussy child in the restaurant as the parent finishes the meal.

We are on the Pearl's next sailing, what did you do in Victoria? I'm finding it hard to plan anything there do to the late time.

We sailed the Pearl earlier in May. Our last stop was Victoria, and we loved it.

We got on a shuttle at the pier to downtown. I think it was $10 pp.

It drops you off at the Empress Hotel which is center city with lots to see. The Legislative building across the road, shops, restaurants, etc.

We booked a bus trip to Butchart Gardens (like $50). Fantastic! If the weather is nice, it is a must do!

You can book right outside of the Empress.

Having never been there before, we hope to return someday.

Just got off the Pearl today. It was our first cruise with Norwegian (most of our previous cruises have been with Princess) as well as our first cruise with children (ages 15 months and 35 months). I will try to write more about our experience later, but I wanted to post about the food policy as we experienced it since it has been such a hot topic here.

Enforcement of the food policy was inconsistent during the cruise. I don't think there was any enforcement at the buffet, but the staff there was probably overwhelmed because due to norovirus concerns, there was no self service in the buffets during the entire cruise. We were able to bring cereal and milk back to our room without issue and I saw others bringing out plates of food without being stopped.

Enforcement in the restaurants was stricter. We had the ultimate dining package as part of our booking promo. We knew that restaurants would be a challenge with the kids, and we were prepared to take them outside if they became loud enough to disturb those around us. A couple times, the baby acted up during the main course. One time, the waiter offered to box up my food as I prepared to leave. The other time, we were told they could not do the food to go so we ended up eating our main course in shifts. Because of the baby, I planned on skipping desert most nights, but I did ask about the possibility of getting desert to go a few times just to see what the staff would say. I got three different responses. Once, it was offered to go. The other time, I was told that I could come back to the restaurant for desert at a later time but I couldn't get it to go. The third time, they told me that I couldn't go it to go but offered to rush desert to me (I declined because I didn't want the baby's fussiness to escalate). Another couple with young kids that we met on the cruise reported a similar experience.

Anyway, I could see the new food policy being an issue for families with children. Like it or not, people are going to bring children to restaurants for dinner on a cruise. If the policy is strictly enforced, then I could see some uncomfortable situations arising where either parents are angry about not getting to eat a meal that they paid for so that they can take their fussy children outside early to avoid disturbing others or other diners get upset because there is a fussy child in the restaurant as the parent finishes the meal.

Thanks for posting this, too many cheerleaders are saying that the rules are not being enforced at all, which obviously is not true. Its sad to see NCL making such stupid and greedy rules. Seems like the new CEO has no clue what a vacation is all about. Something tells me he would better off as a prison warden.

camonypa

<snip>

I understand your displeasure about NCL's policy for food to go but don't understand why you would subject other 'innocent' guests to an unpleasant dining experience because of your personal situation? :confused: Sadly, the other guests in the restaurant have to be considered and not punished for a cruise line policy I agree should be a bit more flexible. There are circumstances when a steward should quietly and without ordeal wrap you dinner or dessert to go.

Please don't think you will "get back at NCL" by subjecting others to upset children which I am sure you want to sooth and not have them fussy.

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you, it seems to be that the majority is saying (all but 2 posts so far), that there is no enforcement to the policy about food being taken out of the buffet. Edited by NLH Arizona

We are on the Pearl's next sailing, what did you do in Victoria? I'm finding it hard to plan anything there do to the late time.

We just walked to Fisherman's Wharf (about 15 minutes) and took some pictures and let the kids play in the park. The ship doesn't dock too far from downtown (about 30-40 minute walk depending on your pace), so many people went there.

Are there any published notices about the policy via signs or dailies or is this all a word of mouth policy?

No signs or notes in the Freestyle Daily. One of the waiters that we spoke with a lot during our cruise said that the policy was given to them by corporate and they were told that it was for hygiene purposes.

I understand your displeasure about NCL's policy for food to go but don't understand why you would subject other 'innocent' guests to an unpleasant dining experience because of your personal situation? :confused: Sadly, the other guests in the restaurant have to be considered and not punished for a cruise line policy I agree should be a bit more flexible. There are circumstances when a steward should quietly and without ordeal wrap you dinner or dessert to go.

Please don't think you will "get back at NCL" by subjecting others to upset children which I am sure you want to sooth and not have them fussy.

If you read my entire post, you will note that I didn't "subject other 'innocent' guests to an unpleasant dining experience" and took the baby out right away when she became fussy even if it meant I didn't eat. I even left in one circumstance where the waiter encouraged me to eat my desert at the restaurant while our baby fussed.

However, the choices our family made may not be the choices that everyone makes. That was what why I believe that the policy, if not more flexible, could create a frustrating situation for parents and 'innocent' guests alike. The parents of children have also paid to be in the restaurant and some may choose (or even be encouraged to choose as was the case at one of our meals) to stay and eat the food they paid for even if the kids get fussy.

Thank you, it seems to be that the majority is saying (all but 2 posts so far), that there is no enforcement to the policy about food being taken out of the buffet.

On my 5/7 cruise on the Pearl, at the Cruise Critic "debrief" with the ship's officers, one of the officers - and I'm sorry, but I don't recall who it was specifically, but one of them said very distinctly that the buffet was "different". The implication of the statement was that the new rules were not intended to apply to the buffet. Whether all of the ships' staff feel the same is a different story, but at least on the Pearl, it seemed that the buffet was going to be left alone.