Petty Theft and Travel Insurance

i'm not sure if most travel insurance policies cover petty theft. I suspect not.

Here are my suggestions for protecting yourself from pick-pocket theft. Additional ideas are welcome.

- KEEP all zippered closures on handbags/backpacks zipped and, if possible, SECURE the zipper tabs closed with a clip that requires some manual dexterity to open.

- Wear your handbag/backpack in FRONT of you in a crowded touristy area. Unless you have eyes in the back of your head, you can't see what is happening behind you. For the same reason, DON'T HANG your handbag/backpack on the back of the restaurant chair you're sitting in.

- If you have a handbag/backpack while in a restaurant, keep it in your clear view. I recall a work colleague that told me his laptop was quietly stolen from his briefcase while he was eating at a restaurant table in Argentina.

- Be suspicious of physical bumping and spontaneous activities that immediately draw your attention. The person asking you for directions, may not be that innocent (moreover, someone asking a tourist for directions seems odd anyway).

- Consider clothing that is more challenging to pick-pocket thieves (check out Clothing Arts). But also remember that these clothes can make it difficult for the wearer to get to a pocket, as well.

- Wear a secure money wallet for your credit cards and larger cash bills. To minimize the need to pull the wallet out, keep about $20-$30 cash in a more handy buttoned or zippered pocket. Better to lose a small amount of cash than your larger cash wad or credit cards.

- Keep the number of items (credit cards, ATM cards, etc) in your wallet to an ABSOLUTE minimum. Keep a record of emergency contact numbers and account numbers in a secure and separate location that you can access if you have a loss. Its hard to cancel a credit card if you don't know who to call or have the account number.

- If you travel with someone that you share credit card accounts, be sure the other person brings a different credit card. If you need to cancel one card mid-trip, you may need an active card to use. A replacement card may take time to get to you.

- If you use a debit card, do not use one that permits you to 'charge' against your bank account WITHOUT a PIN. If you have a debit card with a VISA or MC logo on it, chances are that debits can be made using it WITHOUT A PIN. Most unauthorized and fraudulent charges against a credit card can be backed out. A direct withdrawl from your checking account - maybe not. In most cases, you can request your bank create a debit card that only works at an ATM machine and requires use of a PIN.

Bob