Another booze question

jwc123

If you get the drink of the day, ask for it in a regular glass as it is cheaper than the keeper glass drink. Further, you can ask for the drink of the day with a call brand of liquor so they will make it fresh for you - not as watered down, plus you can ask for a floater on top.

They also have a wine package for dinner where you get a bottle each night with your meal. If you miss a night you still get the full package, whether you take it with you or have two at another dinner.

Don't forget that after you get your first drink in the 'souvenere' glass, ask for the next in a regular glass. Same amount (virtually) and $1.50 less expensive. Plus I also found that when one of the roaming servers takes your drink order, even if you hand them your 'regular' glass for a refill, they will bring back, and charge you for, another souvenere glass unless you specify each time to put it in a regular glass. There were two of us and we saved quite a bit by doing this last week on the Empress.

I didn't realize some drinks are served in a souvenir (keeper glass) glass, so the first time we ordered drinks we left the glasses, wondering why there we so expensive! The second time the waiter said they were keeper glasses and then we put 2 and 2 together and figured it out. Although later on I found out almost anything can be taken as your souvenir.

they used to offer an alcohol card. I bought one back in 2001. As I recall, it was about $60 or so for a punch card that bought you 12-15 drinks, I can not remember how many. It really wasnt that good a deal. It saved you a buck or so a drink, but was limited to house brands, not call brands, and basically non-import beer.

They no longer offer this card. they do offer a Wine package, where you buy several bottles ahead of time, of course you are basically limited to drinking these in the dining room I believe.

You don't have to choose your wines ahead of time with the wine package, but your choices are limited. When we were on Radiance, the 7-bottle package was about $175 with tip, and we were limited to bottles under $35. Some ships/sailings offer differently priced packages, too. Keeping in mind that the markup is 4-5x retail:mad: , the selection wasn't very impressive. Also, in Chops & Portofino, almost all of the wines are over $35, so the night we ate in Chops, we bought something else. In hindsight, we should have brought our own wine onboard, at least a couple of bottles, and paid the corkage fee. Better wines for a whole lot less money. Of course the "you can't bring your own alcohol on board" rule varies from port to port (so it says in your cruise contract), so we could end up showing up with 5 bottles that we won't see until the end of the cruise.

Archived