Transatlantic Round Trip - Queen Mary 2

Dajo5601

I'm sure that I've read similar questions to the one which I'm posing, but can't recollect anything specific - hence I'm daring to ask it again. Have enjoyed numerous cruises on Cunard's QV and am having a 14 day cruise booked on the QE in October. We are now looking at a transatlantic round trip next May, but my wife is most concerned that I will "get bored" with having no ports of call as it were other than New York.

I enjoy sea days and make good use of all lectures and presentations on board. I can see that the QM2 must offer a lot more activities on the transatlantic cruises, but would really appreciate some feedback - positive or otherwise - as to, quite honestly, "things to do" whilst at sea on a transatlantic crossing.

I would appreciate any thoughts and/or opinions.

Thanks in advance,

David.

There are links to examples of Daily Programmes from recent TAs in the sticky.

Only you can decide if there would be enough to keep you interested.

Personally, I enjoyed our (so far) only TA as a great alternative to flying home after Christmas in the Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do a round trip. I love QM2 but I'm happy to cruise on her.

I do a roundtrip almost every year and I don't get bored. Not all the lectures interest me but I manage to amuse myself.

I find I now prefer the sea days to port days.

Only you can truly decide what would work for you.

Last year we did one of the TA's that included a stop in Halifax. So it meant only 6 nights to cross the pond, one day in Halifax and then one day at sea to reach NY. This certainly helped to break it up.

We also did the round-trip back to the UK. It was a bit of a pain when it was too windy to go out on deck. We enjoyed it but doubt we'd ever do it again.

We love B2B and call them the day trip to New York. Haven't been bored yet but we do love sea days. If the price is right and you fancy the experience you should give it a go!

I loved it and we would definitely do it again. I agree it's better if you can get a stop in Halifax or Boston as well! New York is quite a chaotic day really, as the traffic coming out of an evening makes it quite a long trip back. Going into the city in the morning isn't too bad as you do beat the main rush hour. There is obviously a good chance in summer that the city will be very very warm.

The bonus of going in Summer time is that you are likely to get some warm deck days. We found we could sit out most days in August and had a number or very hot sunny days spent on deck. The QM2 has such huge deck space and that is so important when at sea for such a long period of time. As huge and lovely as QM2 is inside you need to get out and appreciate the decks and the fresh Atlantic air, even if it's rather bracing.

We would all do it again, although I know older family members said they would love a few days in New York rather than 6 hours or so you end up getting!

Love the sea days! Many things to do including (most days) 3 guest lectures. I am never bored and keep myself very busy. There is just a different feel on a TA where passengers are not getting on and off the ship every day or so. Try it -- I think you will like it! Katherine

Because we enjoy Cunard Insight lectures so much, we look for voyages with lots of sea days. We love crossings!

Everyone's life is what one makes of it. I see no reason for you to ever be bored, David. My bet is that you would have a wonderful time!