Cruise Surprises!

I was on the phone with C&A this week about another topic, and since I had been thinking about trying to pull off a surprise like some of you have described in this thread, I asked the C&A agent's opinion on the best way to pull this off. I told her that the ruse was that I had booked an OV, but actually have a suite. She offered up some events that could reveal / spoil the surprise, so I'll share those here. Again, these apply when the person already knows they're going on a cruise, but does not know what the accommodations may be...

1 - Signing the cruise docs: Since these documents show the cabin type, and have to be signed beforehand, be sure to somehow hide that area of the page, maybe casually cover it with your hand, when your travelling partner signs it.

2 - Luggage tags: Another item that shows the cabin, so either put them on at the last minute or find a way to distract or prevent them from seeing these.

3 - Porters: The porter will look at the cruise docs and may make a comment about the cabin type, especially if it falls into a VIP status.

4 - Checking in: There are separate lines for suites than for non-suite passengers, so depending on the past cruise experience of your travel partner, they may get suspicious at this point.

5 - Sea Pass Cards: These will be a different color for suites, so at check in, either grab them both when the agent presents them or hope your partner doesn't realize what the colors signify.

Hopefully these may help someone surprise their wife or girlfriend (hopefully not both; now that would be a surprise!).

More ideas are welcome, fellow CC'ers!

You're leaving out of FLA right? I'd tell them a week or so before about the "vacation to FLA" and that you plan on some nice dinners out so pack nice (i.e. formal like) dresses. Then make sure you tell your transportation from airport to port that it's a surprise--I've had drivers ruin it before asking if they are excited to cruise! When they pull up to the cruise ship it will be an amazing surprise!

I've got the packing down & do plan on telling them one step at a time. The cruise surprise will be revealed the night before while we are in FLL. We are going with a group & there is a party at the hotel Saturday night that I don't want them to miss. If we get a port view room, which I'm hoping, that will help with the reveal. I'm sure it will come together at the right time.

I am the planner so no surprises for me but my niece and I are surprising her Mom with a cruise next April on the Oasis of the Sea for Xmas, she has cruised before and loves it but has never cruised the BIG ship so it will be exciting to see her face when she opens her gift.:)