Can we make this flight?

Looking at cruising out of Southampton. The choice of flights would be 12:00 noon or 4:00 pm out of Heathrow. The ship's anticipated arrival back in Southampton would be 5:30 am. Would we be able to make the 12:00 noon flight - we would be sailing in a suite and making our own transportation arrangements. Thanks for any help.

The distance is 63 miles - driving is 1 hour 15 minutes, if no queues at M3- you should arrive at LHR at 10 am assuming international flight - I will say 12 is possible, when you arrange your own transportation.

Are there issues with customs to worry about? As a US citizen, my last trip out of there was pretty painful. It easily took two hours. With that time factored in, you may be cutting it close. Perhaps they've made it easier now?

A few things to think about.

It may be an hour or more after docking before you are allowed to disembark.

Are you going to carry your own luggage off or have to retrieve it and then get through the terminal?

When you say making your own transportation arrangement, does this mean a car is picking you up?

Keep in mind that you will be heading towards London during rush hour.

Depending on your airline and terminal it could easily take well over an hour from the time you enter the airport, check in, go through security and get to your gate.

I personally wouldn't risk the 12am, anything can happen between Southampton and Heathrow so you'd be pushing it.

Are there issues with customs to worry about? As a US citizen, my last trip out of there was pretty painful. It easily took two hours. With that time factored in, you may be cutting it close. Perhaps they've made it easier now?

There's no different customs based on your citizenship on international flights here the UK. It really depends on the time of day/amount of flights departing. Heathrow can be pretty much unpredictable, but 2 hours is certainly out of the ordinary (especially if the flight was from T3 or T5. I've never been longer than 20 minutes even during a busy time from those terminals)

Looking at cruising out of Southampton. The choice of flights would be 12:00 noon or 4:00 pm out of Heathrow. The ship's anticipated arrival back in Southampton would be 5:30 am. Would we be able to make the 12:00 noon flight - we would be sailing in a suite and making our own transportation arrangements. Thanks for any help.

Heathrow is not the best laid out airport to begin with than combine that will the extended times to get through customs. Also took me up to 2 hours to get through customs. It needs to be note that for International Flights you are required to be checked in 3 hours prior to the flight and final boarding generally closes 15 minutes prior to the schedule departure time. 4:00 PM flight would be the less riskier options.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Sure, you can make the flight, MAYBE.... There are a LOT of things that have to go just right for you to do it.

- no delays with the ship getting to the dock

- no delays with getting off the ship

- no delays waiting for port customs

- no delays getting your transportation

- no traffic delays

- no delays with airport security

- no delays getting checked in

Now, if all that goes well, you will enjoy your early flight. If one or more of the above take longer than expected, you will get to the airport after the plane has left.

How lucky do you feel you are?

When flying, we ALWAYS book the flight for the day before the ship boards and a day after arriving in port. The extra hotel costs are nothing compared of the hassle of getting a new flight because you missed yours.