Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Watch feedback

Newbie ready to plunge

Advice needed re: Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Watch.

Juneau port time = 2PM to 10PM. All of the combo tours (both private and via NCL) seem to allow very little time at the glacier. What's the best way to maximize time at both locations?

Do the private companies adjust times for 15-17 passengers (includes 4 kids, ages 10 & 11) traveling together? Ideally, we'd like to do the boat first and then be dropped off at the glacier for a few hours. From what I can see, the glacier shuttle runs until 6PM, so we'd require another p/u option. Also looking for recommendations for a tour company.

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

1st time cruiser

taking the plunge in Alaska

I would highly recommend Harv and Marv. They are a private company that has been in business for many years. You will be in your own private boat, while the cruise ship will be huge. He will be able to travel around and find the whales. He will drop off you at the glacier and have your own time to walk where ever you want. if time allows he will take you to the salmon farm. We had a great time and saw lots of whales.n

I would highly recommend Harv and Marv. They are a private company that has been in business for many years. You will be in your own private boat, while the cruise ship will be huge. He will be able to travel around and find the whales. He will drop off you at the glacier and have your own time to walk where ever you want. if time allows he will take you to the salmon farm. We had a great time and saw lots of whales.n

They have too many passengers, if they all want to go together, for this company.

Find out is the whale watch first or last.... if Mendenhall is the last thing to visit.... I would consider quitting the tour at Mendenhall and try for the shuttle to return to the ship. This allows you extra time to explore the visitor centre and trails like Nugget Falls.

Just pay attention to when the last shuttles run and be prepared for crowds.

Advice needed re: Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Watch.

Juneau port time = 2PM to 10PM. All of the combo tours (both private and via NCL) seem to allow very little time at the glacier. What's the best way to maximize time at both locations?

Do the private companies adjust times for 15-17 passengers (includes 4 kids, ages 10 & 11) traveling together? Ideally, we'd like to do the boat first and then be dropped off at the glacier for a few hours. From what I can see, the glacier shuttle runs until 6PM, so we'd require another p/u option. Also looking for recommendations for a tour company.

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

1st time cruiser

taking the plunge in Alaska

I'm assuming this trip isn't in Sept?

Are all these people wanting to tour together? IF so, I would suggest seeing if you can contract with Orca Enterprises. They can likely do the tour/Mendenhall transfer, and you may be able to arrange the two hour later pick up too? Call them direct and inquire. Otherwise, you would be able call a few cabs for pick up, about a 1/2 prior to needing one.