How much time should I allow to get off the ship for tours +Venice water taxi info

tartana

I am a first time cruiser and realize that sometimes it must take time to deboard in the ports. When the ship has been in port for several hours already, what is a reasonable amount of time to allow to be "outside" the gates to meet the driver. Also, in Venice, does anyone know how close or "easy" it is to get from the Cruise Ship to the Alilaguna Blue line dock to catch the water taxi? Is it very close by? Thanks for any info :)

To address your first question, it really depends on the ports, so can you tell us which ports you will be visiting? Some ports have long piers that can take a while to walk, some ports you dock parallel to the shoreline so you are just a few steps away to the entrance to the port area, some ports have parking for your tour operators close by, at others you may have a few minutes' walk to meet a driver.

To address your first question, it really depends on the ports, so can you tell us which ports you will be visiting? Some ports have long piers that can take a while to walk, some ports you dock parallel to the shoreline so you are just a few steps away to the entrance to the port area, some ports have parking for your tour operators close by, at others you may have a few minutes' walk to meet a driver.

Venice, Dubrovnik, Katakolon are the three main ports I will need to meet up with tour guides - thanks

Not sure where you are going after you disembark, but if you are going to the airport, you won't need a water taxi, since you can take go by land to the airport.

In Venice, I am meeting my tour guide at St Mark's - I plan to catch the blue line to get there - according to the schedule, it goes quite regularly. It must travel both directions to/from the airport by the looks of it.

Yes. Goes from the port.

It is Alilaguna which you know.

A water taxi is a different kettle of fish

ACTV is a vaporetto. Once again, different.

Takes about 20 minutes and you will see the departure times on their schedule. Only 10 minutes from leaving the boat, going through passport control and buying your ticket. Which can be done online.

Yes. Goes from the port.

It is Alilaguna which you know.

A water taxi is a different kettle of fish

ACTV is a vaporetto. Once again, different.

Takes about 20 minutes and you will see the departure times on their schedule. Only 10 minutes from leaving the boat, going through passport control and buying your ticket. Which can be done online.

great thanks for the information - yes, sorry I got the word wrong - the blue line would be a vaporetto boat and runs more like a "bus line" and should hold a lot more people I presume.

Okay, we've got three different things going on here. If you want to get from the ship to St. Mark's Square you're correct that the Alilaguna blue line is the easiest way to get there. It picks up at the luggage collection area, I'm not sure where that will be in relation to where your ship docks but it's going to be relatively close. It will drop you very close to St. Mark's Square. AliLaguna is a private transportation company, but it does have fixed routes.

Water taxis are just like a taxicab in any other city, they're private transportation and are quite expensive. They're fun to take and a great way to arrive in Venice but probably not necessary for your purposes. A typical fare can be between 80 and €120 depending on the destination.

Vaporetto are like city buses. They have defined routes and are a good way to get up and down the Grand Canal or out to the islands of Murano and Burano.

The only way to access them from the cruise port is to either walk or take the people mover from the port to Piazzalle Roma.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask more questions.