My experience with Cheers

thanna

My wife and I had a similar situation. On paper we had adults in each room sharing with kids. My wife is not a big drinker (she has 2 or 3 a day). So I got the cheers plan for myself and anytime she wanted a drink I would get it for her. It work out great for us.

This is called stealing and I am sure it is the primary reason why there are no exceptions to the rule that all over 21 in the cabin must purchase.

This is called stealing and I am sure it is the primary reason why there are no exceptions to the rule that all over 21 in the cabin must purchase.

Thank you for the moral lesson. You can call it what you want, but I purchased 15 drinks a day and that is what I got. Going 72 mph is a 70 mph zone is against the law. But I am sure you have never done that.

Thank you for the moral lesson. You can call it what you want, but I purchased 15 drinks a day and that is what I got. Going 72 mph is a 70 mph zone is against the law. But I am sure you have never done that.

Not a morality lesson, simply a statement of facts.

Yes I exceed the speed limit, make rolling stops at stop signs and occasionally pass on the right. If I get a ticket for it I will have to pay for it.

It is my belief that what you are doing everyone else is having to pay for with the previously mentioned rule.

I haven't done cheers yet but am thinking about it on my up coming cruise. The question I have is say I order a drink that I don't like (this is the reason I am thinking about buying it to try new drinks) do I have to wait to get my next drink?

2 school of facts here. Not that I should have to explain myself to you but 1st the rule has been in place ever since the cheers program started. 2nd I have been on 18 cruise, I have only purchase the cheers program once. So I highly drought this is all over the 5 or 6 drinks that my wife drank from my Cheers plan back in 2014.

2 school of facts here. Not that I should have to explain myself to you but 1st the rule has been in place ever since the cheers program started. 2nd I have been on 18 cruise, I have only purchase the cheers program once. So I highly drought this is all over the 5 or 6 drinks that my wife drank from my Cheers plan back in 2014.

You get 15, did what you want with your 15 drinks, my wife is at most a 1-2 drinks a day person so we always have 1 cabin and never but it since its not worth the money but other lines let one person buy it, much easier. Until that changes I wont be buying Cheers

You are correct you do not need to explain yourself to me. I also agree that the 5-6 drinks that you gave to your wife didn't cause a change to the rules. Their knowledge that many like you would do so is what caused the rule.

We purchased the Cheers package in 2013 on a 7-day Dream cruise. We had three sea days. We felt compelled to drink alcohol every time we were thirsty. Granted, it IS vacation and all, but it was a little much for us to drink so much to get our money's worth. We're in our mid-30s and when out with friends, we'll have 2-3 glasses of wine or mixed drinks at dinner. That's usually our limit. I like Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio - and that's not included in the Cheers package. Most of the wines I like weren't. Same for the premium martinis.

Do your research and you'll be fine. Look up a price list of the drinks you enjoy. Estimate how many you'll have on a sea day and then on a port day. If that goes over the cost of the Cheers package then it's a deal for you! We are sailing again in Sept and aren't purchasing the package, but then again we've only got one sea day and have a 8am port call each day.

• 3 weeks later...
My wife and I had a similar situation. On paper we had adults in each room sharing with kids. My wife is not a big drinker (she has 2 or 3 a day). So I got the cheers plan for myself and anytime she wanted a drink I would get it for her. It work out great for us.

This is why I think Carnival needs to offer a reduced rate package. There is nothing in place for "lighter" drinkers. They set up the scenario of people trying to share. Simply offer either a reduced rate or shared package with a limit of 4-6 drinks per person. Seems pretty uncomplicated to me. And believe me Carnival will still be making money in the end.

but I purchased 15 drinks a day and that is what I got.

people keep having this misconception that they purchased 15 drinks a day. this is not accurate.

you purchased UP TO 15 drinks that you can consume.

you can be rest assured that the more people that do this, the higher the price will go. Their price point is NOT 15 drinks because they know most people will not reach that.

My only wish is that all parties in the cabin didn't have to purchase it. I can't drink alcohol because of a medication I am on. It seems like there should be a waiver for a certified Dr. excuse..and at the very least..for pregnant people! My hubby would love this program..but with only one of us drinking it just isn't worth it :(

But some pregnant people DO drink. And so do some people on medication where they shouldn't.

So Carnival has to set a blanket rule. Because people cheat EVERYTHING. They are protecting their income stream.

We don't get it either because I don't drink (and this cruise will be pregnant...)

But aren't non-alcoholic drinks offered on cheers too? So not drinking alcohol isn't really a valid excuse. We should all feel lucky kids don't have to purchase too! You just have to drink a ****-ton of smoothies and coke to make it worth it.

You didn't purchase 15 drink a day. If you did that they'd just issue a 15 drink punchcard and not care who uses it. You purchased the opportunity for YOU to consume up to 15 drinks a day.

You can justify it all you want, but what you did was stealing.

Soon this includes the Funship drink and Yellow Bird and all the fruity Pool side concoctions? ;) ;) ;) ;)

It DOES include all those "Drink of the Day" specials, the only difference is you get them in a regular glass, not a souvenir glass.

You didn't purchase 15 drink a day. If you did that they'd just issue a 15 drink punchcard and not care who uses it. You purchased the opportunity for YOU to consume up to 15 drinks a day.

You can justify it all you want, but what you did was stealing.

And Carnival can justify it all THEY want, but advertising UNLIMITED DRINKS in big, bold letters with small print that says only 15 per person per day is Deceptive at best and LYING at worst.

And Carnival can justify it all THEY want, but advertising UNLIMITED DRINKS in big, bold letters with small print that says only 15 per person per day is Deceptive at best and LYING at worst.

I just went on the Carnival site and searched 'cheers' and the page that describes it does not have anything that says 'Unlimited Drinks'

does it say that when you are purchasing it?

As one of the many starters of the "is it worth it" topic I must say this was extremely helpful. We have decided to opt out of the Cheers program on our upcoming cruise since we have 3 port days on a 5 day cruise. I will post the statistics afterwards to let people see if we made the right choice or not.

Can the "cheers program" still be used ON THE SHIP while in port? We are docked in Nassau one day from 9am until midnight. We probably will return to the ship earlier. Certainly wouldn't make sense to purchase the program if for that entire day we can't use it. Please advise. Thanks

I don't see anything on Carnival's site that says UNLIMITED DRINKS.

Perhaps you could include a screenshot to back this up?

They say "one flat price for drinks throughout your cruise". It doesn't say anything about being unlimited.

On the other hand, bottomless bubbles IS described as unlimited.

Edited by skittl1321

Can the "cheers program" still be used ON THE SHIP while in port? We are docked in Nassau one day from 9am until midnight. We probably will return to the ship earlier. Certainly wouldn't make sense to purchase the program if for that entire day we can't use it. Please advise. Thanks

yes

I liked the cheers package because I was able to try drinks I might not have purchased . That being said I wish not everyone in the cabin over 21 needed to purchase. Maybe they could change the policy that you either need to buy the "cheers" OR "bottomless bubbles" when someone purchases the cheers::rolleyes: