Chacchoben Ruins tour

als310

A question for those who have done the tour how much walking is involved?

I would really like to do this but I am recovering from a leg problem. I can walk but I need to rest my leg frequently (say every 2 blocks or so).

I will post a full review in a few days, but we just got back from a tour with Ivan that was unbelievable. His knowledge and passion about the Mayan culture and people exceeded any expectation I had. Simply amazing.

There were a few kids in our group. My daughter (8) was the youngest and did just fine. She was not able to appreciate the information at times, but was able to handle the walking and climbing without a problem.

For anyone who is on the fence about this tour -- do not hesitate!

8 folks from our group toured with Ivan on Dec 21 (from the Glory) and are still raving about it - from ages 14 - 84. (though not me, as i was scuba diving instead). With much enthusiasm they each told me different things they learned. I think Ivan's personality and passion for his culture were so inspiring. Also, Carolina took over when Ivan had to leave and she was fantastic too. So if you have any interest in learning about the Mayan culture, up close and personal, this is definitely the excursion to take.

I've tried to book the Mayan ruin tour three times now but haven't heard back from David and Ivan (the first time was about 3 weeks ago, the 2nd time 1 week ago, and the last time just now). I'm wondering if they usually send follow-up emails to confirm the reservation and meeting points?

My bf and I are leaving for the cruise on 1/9, and I'd really like to go on the tour since everyone raves about it. Please let me know if you have any input, thanks!

Just back from the Galaxy Christmas cruise.

All the positive remarks above regarding Davis & Ivan's tour of the ruins are true. This was one of the highlites of our trip. I only wish we had more time in Costa Maya. We were only there from 7am to noon, which just gave us enough time to see the ruins, but not visit any villages.

Unfortunately, when this area is fully developed, it will probably be just another overrun tourist trap with no charm. Go now before it gets totally built out. And get away from the artifical dock shopping area.

We had Ivan for our tour. Only about 10 of us. We were able to get out to the ruins before most of the big cruise ship tours arrived. I felt sorry for those huge groups with one guide trying to be heard. I'm sure they got very little out of the experience compared to the personal information we received. Definitely consider this for your Costa Maya stop.

When I first booked our cruise for Feb 25 on the Grand Princess I came here and read all the reviews for each destination - and the tour with David and Ivan seemed like a must do.

After all the tendering problems and delays that they have been experiencing with the Grand (and probably others) I got gun shy and decided if we do anything we probably better stick with a Princess tour - just to be safe (and be able to get off the ship in a decent time frame).

But now reading all this has me leaning back to David & Ivan.

Are there any recent Grand passengers reading this that can share their recent experiences the last few weeks???

Thanks.

Okay here was how it went....

After several days of beaching and snorkeling most everyone in our large group was sun burned and wanted to do something different in Costa Maya....so I emailed David and Ivan from the ship (I filled out their web "contact us" sheet at www.chacchobenruins.com and also emailed them as well at info@chacchobenruins.com because I didn't know which one they would check first)...I did this the night before we were to arrive from onboard the Valor! They emailed me back within the hour...amazing!

SAVED MONEY OVER THE SHIP's tour!!!

And for around $42per person they (Ivan was the guide this day) took my friends (14 of them) to the ruins and according to my friends...it was the best ruins they have ever gone to...I think it helps having Ivan showing his home he was born in at the ruins and finding pieces of broken pottery and 1000 year old arrow heads on the ground! Plus my friends think I am amazing...they think I have contacts around the world...like I am in the CIA or something....thank goodness for cruisecritic! I am a genious...and so are you for reading this stuff!

They took the $3 bus ticket to Mahahual....walked a block or so down the main sand/dirt road of the town and met Ivan at a place called the Cat's Meow(on the right side of the road)...where they then took them to the ruins from! They said on the way back they stopped at a pinapple plantation and let everyone have fresh pinapple as well as some with chilli pepper on it....& they are still talking about it!

IN THE MEANTIME: I WENT TO MAHAHUAL to check out the beach!

We took the same $3 a person bus ride~ It is $2 a person to get a ride back in a taxi....the walk is too far...contrary to other peoples' suggestions....I drove it and was glad we did the second I realized just how far it was away...the first stop was some beach club/bar outside of town...the second stop...Mahahual! We were in the bus for at least 12 minutes going around 30 miles an hour...you do the math!

POSITIVES:

.....THE SHOPPING ALONE WOULD HAVE BEEN WORTH THE TRIP!!!! The area right at the Costa Maya Pier is beautiful and colorful and the shops are nice and the salt water pool is lovely to behold...but the prices at the pier are crazy! In Mahahual everything was 50-75% Cheaper! My friend's brother didn't believe me and he spent $175 on crap at the pier~ and then wished he had waited...IN Mahahual I bought silver earings and silver braclets for $5 a set($65 at the pier shops) and a poncho($5) and vanilla($4) and a huge sombrero $15...I really had to haggle this down from $30(at the pier they were asking $60 for the same sombrero) and maraccas($1 a piece)for my kids....I spent less than $60 and came back fully adorned from head to toe!!! Pez Quadros (THE LAST PLACE IN TOWN ON THE LEFT on the beach) was a nice place and the food they made(across the street...and delivered to the bar) for their customers was really good...We ran into several crew members here....they obviously liked the food too...The beach however was not as nice as the ones we had visited in Belize(Goff's Caye), or in Grand Cayman(7-mile), or Honduras(West Bay) the 3 previous days.... but after several days of snorkeling I was really looking for a palm tree and some shade...I found it and fell asleep for 2 or 3 hours! It was heaven! When I woke up there was a young man selling banana chips(Plaintains sliced very thin... deep fried... with salt and salsa on top) for a buck....I ate so many...he just kept them coming! Guess what I can make in my kitchen now!!! My husband thinks I am a genious too!

Negatives:

It was hot hot hot the day we were here and the water when I finally did get in was no relief....at least as hot as~ 89-91 degrees F...it wasn't like our other locations where it had been refreshing! But this is totally nothing to complain about....any hot day in paradise is better than a freezing one at home!

It was really beautiful though... & on our way back to where you can get a taxi....we decided to walk the beaches instead of the road and I was sorry I had done this because I have never seen so much garbage on a beach in my life! It really was overwhelming...the beaches that had bars/business on them were free of garbage....but it was loaded up in piles just 25 feet away on a less commercialized piece of land.

I saw everything including tires, a motor, old boat parts, oil containers and a syringe! Mostly it was lids and straws to fast food containers though....which completely shocked me because there is nothing like that coming off the ships and it is also not found in Mahahual as well...so I wondered if the merchants that come in to sell stuff in Mahahual to the tourists are bringing it and leaving it...someone told me it was the tourists bringing it...but there wasn't that many tourists there and no one was coming from a McDonald's...It just didn't add up! IT was the only saddened disapointment however that I had....& would I go back there again???....of course!

However I really am feeling like I missed out not going to the ruins with David and Ivan.....my friends are still talking about it! They also went shopping beforehand in Mahahual & are glad it was on the stops for the cruise instead of Cozumel...it was just more authentic....and less commercialized! I would really like to go back again!

Any questions email me at cruisephotos@gmail.com ...take care and have fun!

Here's my commentary from 2 wks ago - they do respond, usually faster than you report. I'd plan on looking for them in Majahual.

Just got back from HAL Westerdam. Ten of us in a/c van with David as tour guide. Not much could beat the experience!

Tips: Buy your van ticket ($3 pp) at the little stand near the cab line. You really can't get lost.

Don't worry about getting back to ship. David will drop you off at the village or at ship - your preference.

Soon they'll be able to pick you up directly at the pier.

By the way, give them a break about responding to e-mails. It takes a 1 hr drive usually to get an internet connection. It also takes a 1 hr plus drive to Belize for them to get gasoline which isn't foamy!

Have a great time. Be prepared to do a little climbing.

Richard and Kathy

DO NOT MISS the tour with David and Ivan - our family felt this was a highlight of our cruise...the guys could not be nicer as are all the others associated with them...and shop in town, much better experience than the pier, plus you support the locals which I always prefer.

Here's my commentary from 2 wks ago - they do respond, usually faster than you report. I'd plan on looking for them in Majahual.

Have a great time. Be prepared to do a little climbing.

Richard and Kathy

I would love to do this tour but two in my small party (me being one) have bad knees and cannot do a lot of walking or climbing. I have been assured this tour was NOT very physical. I am a little worried about your warning. How much climbing is involved and can some do the climbing and others just wait? thanks

Re: walking/climbing

I, too, have a bad knee. I've had 2 TTT's 8 weeks apart almost 2 years ago, along with four other knee surgeries. Walking on uneven surfaces is a problem for me, as is strength (I had some muslace wasting post surgery), and I managed to do it with no problems, not even any swelling the next day.

There is only part where climbing is involved, and there are two routes you can take. I took one way up and the other down. Even if the members of your party are not able to do the climbing, I think it would be worth it for the rest of the tour and information alone.

I hope you're able to go!

thank you for your response. I did email David and Ivan before Christmas.. From what I have read it can take some time for a reply. Do you think I should email them again?

Again, thanks for the info.

Archived